News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Mark Bourgeois

Re: 10 Euro Courses in 10 Euro Countries
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 12:05:03 PM »
An eclectic 10 to be sure. We await the great Tom Dunne's insights into his thought process.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 12:13:08 PM »
Mark -

Tom D. clearly states this is not a list of the 10 best courses on the Continent, but rather a list of 10 interesting/worthwhile courses in 10 different countries.

DT

Tom Dunne

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 04:14:45 PM »
Mark,

Can I give you the Herm Edwards voice for this? "Thought process?" It's deadline work.  

I spent more time on this one. Gil's doing some good stuff at Ridgewood:

http://www.linksmagazine.com/golf_courses/what-s-next-fromgil-hanse

The hole schematic is clickable/enlargeable. A decent few minutes of GCA-nerdery to be had there.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 04:16:28 PM by Tom Dunne »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 07:14:22 PM »
Tom D:

Would it be too much to ask how many of those ten courses you've actually seen for yourself, and how many for which you are relying on second-hand info?

Thanks,

Tom D

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 07:50:50 PM »
David et Tom l'écrivain,

I know it's not a top 10; I didn't mean to imply that. Just genuinely curious how they were chosen: access, mix of modern vs old, stream of consciousness, first 10 entries in the Pirelli calendar....

Nice work on Ridgewood, I think this is the link: http://www.linksmagazine.com/about/what-s-next-fromgil-hanse

Tom Dunne

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 09:59:59 PM »
Tom, I have played one (1) course on this list. I'm sure some will judge that harshly. I've moved on already.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 05:40:38 PM »
I could make a list with 10 great courses in 10 Euro countries that I played. But no one ever asks me :)

Anyway, the list isn't bad. There are better courses in Denmark und Switzerland than Lübker and Crans, but I don't have a problem with the other choices.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 08:07:05 PM »
Ulrich:

We would love to see your list.  Mike Clayton's, too.

I can only vouch for golf in five European countries [I've been to Italy and Switzerland and Latvia, too, but not for golf].  These would be my own entries:

Belgium - Royal Zoute  [it has the advantage of being the only course I've seen in Belgium]
France - Morfontaine
Germany - Hamburger GC
Netherlands - De Pan
Spain - El Saler

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 01:42:58 PM »
Hi Tom,

fair enough, here is my Continental Vacation Top Ten (not in any particular order). These are not necessarily the absolute best courses in their respective countries, but certainly top tier and, keeping with the vacation theme, in an area that is generally worth visiting. Also, a discovery process is always part of a great vacation, so I'll go for lesser known courses whenever possible:

Switzerland: Gerre Losone (7)

Why: Plain fun, unassuming, great holiday golf.
In the area: Lago Maggiore, classic courses at Lugano and Ascona

Austria: Millstätter See (8-)

Why: Front 9 defies belief.
In the area: Carinthian Lakes, Alpine lifestyle.

Italy: Acquasanta (8+)

Why: Untouched early Golden Age track with pine trees.
In the area: Rome. Period.

Slovenia: King's Course at Bled (6-)

Why: Do your part to help finance the restoration of a great, classic layout.
In the area: Julian Alps panorama road, Lake Bohinj, Bled.

Czech Republic: Cihelny (7+)

Why: Feels good, very relaxing.
In the area: classic Bohemian spa towns.

Germany: Taunus-Weilrod (7+)

Why: Brace yourself for a full Donald Harradine experience.
In the area: Frankfurt Airport (not a Tourist attraction, but you're gonna be there at some point on your European vacation)

Belgium: Royal Golf Club des Fagnes (7-)

Why: Stately parkland course, well away from the crowded coast.
In the area: The original spa town of, well, Spa. The Haute Fagnes Nature Reserve. More Tom Simpson at Royal Hainaut and Royal Sart-Tilman.

Denmark: Fanø (7+)

Why: Best holiday links ever.
In the area: worthwile courses at Esbjerg and Blåvandshuk.

Sweden: Mölle (7+)

Why: Impress your buddies with this remote cliff-top gem.
In the area: Skåne has an abundance of good golf, including the Falsterbo peninsula.

France: Hardelot Les Pins (8+)

Why: The best French course you can actually play.
In the area: Le Touquet. Kent (if you feel like cheating).

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 04:23:59 PM »
Ulrich:

That was great, thanks.

Two questions:

1.  Where is the hole headed in the picture of the German course?  Is it to the lower green, the upper green, or the fairway to the left?

2.  Are the Paris courses difficult to access now?  I was shocked when I played there twenty years ago, how easy it was to get on Chantilly.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 04:33:22 PM »
Tom,

it's a par 3, so you're playing to the lower green (many members lay up over the tree, though). But there is a tee to the left and above this one that plays to the left fairway. I am a bit shocked about your mention of the upper green, never noticed that one before ;-)

The Paris courses are difficult to get on if you don't know a member or at the very least speak French.

Ulrich

Angela Moser

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 05:16:06 PM »
Ulrich,

why is it Taunus-Weilrod in Germany? I never been there and actually I never heard of it before.

My favorites in the EU I played so far (somehow you guys skipped the UK):

(South) Germany - GC Feldafing
France - Le Kempferhof
Austria - Schloß Schönborn
(Czech - Golf Podebrady)
UK (England - Moortown; Scotland - not sure... somewhere between North Berwick West, Royal Dornoch and Turnberry Aisa)
Portugal - Oceanico Old Course, Vilamoura

I would love to add some northern EU courses in the near future.... any recommendation?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 05:29:40 PM »
Tom,

it's a par 3, so you're playing to the lower green (many members lay up over the tree, though). But there is a tee to the left and above this one that plays to the left fairway. I am a bit shocked about your mention of the upper green, never noticed that one before ;-)

The Paris courses are difficult to get on if you don't know a member or at the very least speak French.

Ulrich

Ulrich:

I sort of guessed that's how it went, but with the tee in front pointing straight at that cart path, I wasn't too sure.  I've never seen a Donald Harradine course, but having listened to him speak a couple of times, I was prepared for just about anything!

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 06:44:01 PM »
Tom,

the tee you see is the front tee, that is actually pointing towards the cart path because that is where to lay up to. The actual member tee, from which I took this photo, is pretty much in line with the green. You can also avoid the substantial carry from there by fading it off the tree and rolling it on. In my 5 rounds on this course I have yet to find that green :)

Angela,

the premise of the original list was the European continent. Besides, whoever heard of spending your family vacation in the UK? :)

Ulrich

Joey Chase

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 12:16:02 AM »
Having recently planned a trip to see the courses around Paris, I wouldn't say they are too difficult to access.  Of course Morfontaine being the exception.  This with my limited amount of French.  They kinda reminded me of the heathland courses in that they allow play during the week, with some exceptional days thrown in.  I can't wait to see them!  The itinerary includes Chantilly, Fontaineblue, St. Germain, St. Cloud, and the National Albatross. 

As for some of my favs. in Europe; Royal Zoute, Noordwijkse, Oitavos Dunes, El Saler, Domaine Imperial (Kinda Biased).  My opinion will have to add a french course soon, as I've only seen a few in the southwest.  Anyone have an opinion on Sperone in Corsica?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 01:06:05 AM »
Tom,

Ulrich

Ulrich:

I sort of guessed that's how it went, but with the tee in front pointing straight at that cart path, I wasn't too sure.  I've never seen a Donald Harradine course, but having listened to him speak a couple of times, I was prepared for just about anything!

Tom - you'll have heard Peter speak. Don, his father, died in 1993.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back