News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Shelman takes Chicago: Ravisloe, 4/7
« on: March 23, 2012, 02:08:24 PM »
March was Houston.  April is Chicago.  Jeff Shelman is hitting all the hotspots this spring – squeezing in a couple rounds along the way.

I’m coordinating a small GCA gathering to welcome Jeff as he visits town.  As Jeff is a fan of the ODGs, we’ll be playing Ravisloe, which is reportedly the only now public [edit] course that Ross touched in the Chicago area.  (Course history below.)

I have three tee times booked on Saturday, April 7, starting at 9 a.m.  If there’s more interest, I can check on additional times on either end.

Details:

Date:            Saturday, April 7
Time:            Starting at 9 a.m.
Course:        Ravisloe Country Club
Address:      18231 South Park Ave, Homewood
Rate:            $39 (walk); $49 (ride) confirmed

Pairings/Tee Times*:

9:00 a.m.
Andrew Lewis
Sven Nilsen
Sven's friend

9:09 a.m.
Andrew Calcutt
Matt Sander
Bill Seitz
Jud Tigerman

9:18 a.m.
Barry Cronin
Herb Gould
Howard Riefs
Jeff Shelman

One golfer is welcome to move from 9:09 group to the 9:00 group, if interested.

Lunch afterwards for those interested:
Flossmoor Station
1035 Sterling Avenue  
www.flossmoorstation.com

-----------------

Background on course, which went public in 2009:
Course history written by Jud in the 1st thread below:  The course was originally done by Moreau & Foulis in 1901 on 120 acres and was revamped by William Watson from 1910-13 after the club had purchased an adjacent 55 acre parcel.  Donald Ross was brought in to renovate the course from 1917-1919 with fine tuning under his direction done through 1924.  In 2001, the club hired David Esler, who also designed Black Sheep Golf Club in Sugar Grove, IL, to restore the course, keeping the original Ross principals in mind.  

Ravisloe website:    
http://www.ravisloecountryclub.com/

GCA threads:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48192.0.html
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=904f827d4ce7aa23f55e4d404ea4d84c&topic=37692.0
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,43775.0.html
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 11:14:25 AM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

PCCraig

Re: Shelman takes Chicago: Ravisloe, 4/7
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 02:12:27 PM »
I've told Jeff a couple times that his home course up here reminds me of Rav...so I'll be interested to hear if he thinks I'm nuts or not! :)

Have fun guys.

P.S. - Jeff - if you have time be sure to make the 15-20 min trip over to Three Floyds Brewpub.
H.P.S.

SL_Solow

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 02:29:12 PM »
I will check my schedule.  However, what is your source for the statement that Ravisloe is th only Ross course in Chicago?  Or is the term "touched" supposed to convey something?  Beverly is a Ross.  Old Elm is Ross and Colt, their relative contributions are a matter of debate.  Ross also had his hand in Bob O'Linc.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 02:32:27 PM »
I will check my schedule.  However, what is your source for the statement that Ravisloe is th only Ross course in Chicago?  Or is the term "touched" supposed to convey something?  Beverly is a Ross.  Old Elm is Ross and Colt, their relative contributions are a matter of debate.  Ross also had his hand in Bob O'Linc.

Thanks for the catch.  I misread the webiste.  It's the only public  course.  Made the edit above.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 02:51:48 PM »
In!  could be a bit chilly at 9AM however, 11 would be better.  fyi- that's the first day of Passover for those who care....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Howard Riefs

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 04:57:06 PM »
In!  could be a bit chilly at 9AM however, 11 would be better.  fyi- that's the first day of Passover for those who care....

Bring your fleece pull-over. Kosher for Passover beer at the turn.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 05:59:45 PM »
D'oh!

I will actually be in Chicago visiting friends that weekend...wish I could sneak away and join you guys!

Enjoy...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Bill Seitz

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 07:27:11 PM »
I'll play. I can't think of anything else on my schedule that day. Flossmoor Station for lunch?

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 07:32:24 PM »
why not Three Floyds?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

George Freeman

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 07:48:11 PM »
Hopefully I can make it!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

John McCarthy

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 08:08:54 PM »
why not Three Floyds?

Food at Three Floyds rocks.  Just make sure it is not Dark Lord Day...which I think is in the fall.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

PThomas

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 08:15:37 PM »
Visiting my Daughter in Ecuador during her spring break, otherwise I,d be there...have fun all!!!!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Bill Seitz

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 08:15:51 PM »
why not Three Floyds?

It's further away, and I'll be spending all day there on April 28th for the aforementioned Dark Lord Day. Picking up the 2012 version to go with the 2009, 2010, and 2011 versions that I'm "cellaring" in my closet.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 09:10:02 AM »
This will be great. I'm very much looking forward to it.

And Evan, you have two weeks to build up enough equity with your wife to pull this off. Get it done. :)

C. Squier

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 12:26:54 PM »
why not Three Floyds?

It's further away, and I'll be spending all day there on April 28th for the aforementioned Dark Lord Day. Picking up the 2012 version to go with the 2009, 2010, and 2011 versions that I'm "cellaring" in my closet.

See you there....got my tix in hand.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 02:55:54 PM »
D'oh!

I will actually be in Chicago visiting friends that weekend...wish I could sneak away and join you guys!

Enjoy...

Passing up an opportunity to play with another mollydooker from South Florida? C'mon...

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 03:08:20 PM »
Howard:

Put me down as a 95% in.  Also, if there's any extra room I may have a tag along.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 03:23:05 PM »
You guys are KILLING me!  :'(

This is a family trip to see family friends...and the husband DOES NOT play golf, so very little chance of getting out of this one.

But thanks for all the "Jewish Mother" guilt...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

PCCraig

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 06:48:17 PM »
why not Three Floyds?

See you there....got my tix in hand.

I'm jealous guys!  The process of DLD can be a pain, but it's certainly unlike any other beer festival I've seen.
H.P.S.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 10:48:25 AM »
why not Three Floyds?

A vertical tasting on April 7 would be ideal.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 11:43:17 AM »
I think I might have a guest for one of the spots.

Zack Molnar

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 09:57:11 PM »
Howard,

Count me in. I've been wanting to see the 'sloe since I moved here. Cant wait. Hopefully this weather keeps up

Howard Riefs

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 10:36:41 PM »
Howard,

Count me in. I've been wanting to see the 'sloe since I moved here. Cant wait. Hopefully this weather keeps up

Super. Glad you can make it.

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 04:33:59 PM »
Howard --

If you still have room, I'd love to join.

Best, Andrew

Howard Riefs

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 04:39:06 PM »
Howard --

If you still have room, I'd love to join.

Best, Andrew

Andrew,

Most certainly. Great to have you.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back