News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anders Rytter

US golf round trip reccomendation
« on: March 23, 2012, 01:21:22 PM »
Hi, you were to do a round trip to play golf in the US and could start and end at either Newark liberty international, Chicago O'hare or Washington Dulles. one to two weeks in late August. What would you choose?

Would be open to other airports, attractivity of the golf would just have to make up for having to connect flights ;)

Greg Tallman

Re: US golf round trip reccomendation
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 01:30:33 PM »
San Francisco would probably be a good starting point.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 01:30:38 PM »

Where are you playing?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 01:31:10 PM »
This of course depends on access and budget.   It's the best time to play in the Northeast and there is a ton of golf in that region.   You could cover a lot of ground in two weeks!

Anders Rytter

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 01:38:25 PM »
I'm somewhat willing to pay up to get the best experience as long as it's fair for what you get. (would pay the £160 for RCD again any day for example) Got close to no access.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 01:41:47 PM by A Rytter »

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 01:49:04 PM »
If you flew in to Seattle, you could hit Chamber's Bay and on to Portand for Pumpkin Ridge (isn't one public one day and the other one public the next day or am I confused?) on the way to Bandon.  And live at Bandon....................

What have or have you not played in the US?

Anders Rytter

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 01:53:53 PM »
I've only played, a few rounds in Miami this Winter.

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 02:09:25 PM »
A Rytter,

I would narrow your options down to 1) Newark (Northeast) 2) Chicago (O'Hare).

I personally wouldn't want to go much further south than D.C. in August as it'll be very hot almost anywhere you go in that direction. If you went south through the Carolinas (Pinehurst, Charleston) there is some great golf....but it'll be hard to play some afternoons due to heat and t-storms.

"Access" to the private clubs of the Northeast are tough tickets, and there aren't enough great public courses to warrent a special trip to the area from Europe...IMO.

Your best bet? Chicago (O'Hare). Tons of flights going in and out means quality flight time options and usually cheaper flights.

You could built an incredible itinerary of public/resort courses and accessible private clubs just by driving around the Great Lakes. Assume you fly into Chicago and rent a car. 1) Chicago is a world class city in itself, worth eating a day or two to check out, and is perfect in August (food, museums, theater, hot chicks on North Ave. beach :) ) and has a TON of quality golf with a fare share of local GCA guys that I'm sure would be happy to join you for a round or two. Driving northeast into Michigan you could hit up Harbor County (Dunes Club, Lost Dunes, Point 'O Woods, Harbor Shores) before heading further north towards Traverse City (Arcadia Bluffs, Kingsley Club, Greywalls) before rounding the UP and driving over to Duluth (Northland CC) then down to Minneapolis-St. Paul (tons of great golf, similar to Chicago with plenty of GCA guys...myself included) then a ~5 hour drive to Lawsonia Links (public) in Green Lake WI, then 45 min to Erin Hills (public), another ~45 min to Kohler (Whistling Straights, Blackwolf Run - both public) before driving back through Milwaukee to Chicago (~2 hour drive).

That's a whole lot of good to great golf in an area of the country that is fantastic in August weather wise. Sure, not every course on the list is public, but many would probably make an accommodation for an international traveler with a well-worded letter (unlike many parts of the Northeast).

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you need more specific help in the region.
H.P.S.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 02:39:17 PM »
Pat's trip sounds excellent.  Just plan around that!

Jud_T

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 02:48:31 PM »
If you have good access, Newark by a long shot (Kennedy would be better).  If not, Pat's got the ticket...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Anders Rytter

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 02:56:47 PM »
Peoples willingnes to answer questions, discuss and help here is just incredible.

Very helpful!

If following PCraigs trip it's just too bad that High point is (Currently???) closed, probably won't be traveling to Traverse City many times in my life.

Jason Topp

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 03:06:22 PM »
If Minneapolis is on your itinterary shoot me a message.  Pat lists the right options out of Chicago (at least in our direction) but his itinerary looks pretty exhausting.

I might also consider flying into Denver.  There is plenty of great golf there and a beautiful drive to Santa Fe or into the sandhills would yield uniquely American experiences and some terrific golf.  The high temperatures could be hot at that time of year but the dry air and elevation will mean that it will cool off a lot in the evening and overall be quite comfortable. 

Jud_T

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 03:12:10 PM »
If you're coming through Chicago/Traverse City shoot me a message and I'll be glad to help...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

PCCraig

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 03:26:08 PM »
A Rytter,

Jason makes a good point. My "round the great lakes" suggestion was made with a two week trip in mind. If you're given less time you would have to chop up that itinerary a bit. Even so, there is a ton of very good accessable golf to be played in just a quarter of the courses I listed.
H.P.S.

Anders Rytter

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 03:42:40 PM »
If Minneapolis is on your itinterary shoot me a message.  Pat lists the right options out of Chicago (at least in our direction) but his itinerary looks pretty exhausting.

I might also consider flying into Denver.  There is plenty of great golf there and a beautiful drive to Santa Fe or into the sandhills would yield uniquely American experiences and some terrific golf.  The high temperatures could be hot at that time of year but the dry air and elevation will mean that it will cool off a lot in the evening and overall be quite comfortable.  

I've choosen the places (Airports) where we can fly from Copenhagen without having to connect, i fly quite a bit and really don't like connecting flights. But of course i would do it if options are better. The sandhills are definately also a place i have to see. Will probably wait to go there until the second Dismal course open, again, very likely a place i only get to go to once.  

A Rytter,

Jason makes a good point. My "round the great lakes" suggestion was made with a two week trip in mind. If you're given less time you would have to chop up that itinerary a bit. Even so, there is a ton of very good accessable golf to be played in just a quarter of the courses I listed.

I'm getting more and more inclined to spend (atleast?) 2 weeks....

Carl Nichols

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 05:01:28 PM »
A:
How much does non-golf stuff, i.e., having other things to do/see on the trip, matter to you, and have you spent any time in New York City?  I agree that Pat's is a pretty cool trip, but it covers a lot of miles, a lot of which are pretty rural (though pretty).  As an alternative, and if you could pull off a few private courses, I would seriously consider flying into and out of Newark; and doing something like:
spend a day in NYC
golf in northern New Jersey
Bethpage
Eastern Long Island
Connecticut Shore
Rhode Island
Cape Cod
Boston
New Hampshire, Vermont, or Northwestern Mass
Westchester County

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 05:08:35 PM »
Hi, you were to do a round trip to play golf in the US and could start and end at either Newark liberty international, Chicago O'hare or Washington Dulles. one to two weeks in late August. What would you choose?

Would be open to other airports, attractivity of the golf would just have to make up for having to connect flights ;)

On Eastern Long Island, there probably aren't two worse weeks for access than late August, as it's the height of vacation season.
Unless you PLAY WITH a member you won't be playing.

In Westchester or western Long Island, access would be far less of a problem,but many clubs take advantage of the fact their members are on vacation (many in eastern LI ;D) to aerify so the courses are good again for September golf.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:26:46 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 05:14:08 PM »
I would go with the North East / Newark
While Pat is correct there aren't as many public stand outs there are a ton of fun affordable public golf courses in New England
And way more fun places to visit.
Those courses he mentions are all $$$, not $-$$

Newport RI would be tops on my list of cities to visit if I were you.
Ask about golf in Maine too.

There are better privates if you ask nicely too.

NJ, NYC, Newport, Boston!
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 05:43:08 PM »
For what it is worth, the South in August in not ideal for seeing the golf courses of the region in ideal playing conditions.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mark Ringsmuth

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 07:54:35 PM »
I would second Greg's suggestion and head to San Francisco. In the city you can play Harding Park (and Sharp Park too). Drive PCH down to Pasatiempo in Santa Cruz. Bounce over to Cordevalle in San Martin.  Finish up with all of those great courses on in Monterey. Perfect 7-9 day trip.  You will also avoid the heat, humidity, and bugs that will plague most of the US in August. Good Luck!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 08:06:46 PM »

The trip is incomplete without Bandon.

Anthony

Sam Morrow

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 11:52:18 PM »

The trip is incomplete without Bandon.

Anthony

I swear when I saw you  post I thought you were going to say Cruden Bay!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 07:00:14 PM »
I flew a few years ago on SAS from Copenhagen to Seattle on a non stop.

If you did that, you could play Chambers Bay and then head down to Bandon.  You could also head north to some great golf in British Columbia.

As for your other choices, I would head to Newark and play in New Jersey and New York.

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2012, 07:38:56 PM »
I think Pinehurst delivers an "American" experience.  Fly in-out of Raleigh - head down to Pinehurst, play #'s 2, 4, 6, 7, 8 - Dormie Club, Mid-Pines, Pine Needles, and Forest Creek if you can gain access.  Keep it simple - spend time playing golf, not driving hours and hours.

I was paired up on Pinehurst #2 a couple of years ago with a guy who's works in the oil industry and is a member at Cruden Bay - this was his itinerary. Interestingly he liked Pinehurst #4 best because it was the most Americanized.

Matthew Schulte

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2012, 09:11:54 PM »
Anders:

You would be hard pressed to find a higher concentration of good public access golf, coupled with mild August weather, than you would find near San Francisco and Bandon.  Add a 2 to 3 hour radius in all directions around Chicago and you would get to experience another great city and about the best combination of public golf that you could fit into two weeks.

San Francisco / Monterey
Pebble Beach
Pasatiempo
Spyglass Hill
Time permitting
Harding Park
Pacific Grove
Links at Spanish Bay

Bandon Dunes Resort
No explanation required

2-3 hour radius around the greater Chicago Area
Whistling Straits - Straits
Blackwolf Run - River
Blackwolf Run - Meadow Valleys
Cog Hill - #4
Erin Hills
Lawsonia
Warren Course at Notre Dame

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back