News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DMoriarty

Re: "THere is no such thing as a great uphill hole in all of golf"
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2012, 07:38:03 PM »
David M,

9 is harder for me than 8, and might as well play uphill. I have like 3 pars there in 50 rounds. Destroys me.

They are both impossible for me.  I don't even think about par.  But even so they are both always fun and may be my two favorites on a course with many good holes.  Last time there I managed a par on the 9th yet still managed to lose the hole.  That hurt.

Rustic Canyon has a number of uphill holes one might consider the best hole on the course, including the 11th.  Not my favorite uphill hole, but people seem to love it.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

David Lott

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2012, 08:32:06 PM »
No, 17, Eagles Mere (A Flynn sporty resorter): Par 3, 130 yards. It's called Billy Goat Hill. You have to stand on a bench to see the top of the flagstick.

Maybe not great, but memorable.

David Lott

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2012, 08:39:50 PM »
I like to see what I am doing, ie a visual sort, so naturally I like downhill better. But there are tons of great uphill holes in golf. 11 at Mountain lake and 2 at Olympic Lake come to mind.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2012, 08:43:12 PM »
Asked another way, are there any uphill holes that would generally be considered the best hole on a particular course? I'm betting not.

The 8th at Crystal Downs, and the 8th at Prairie Dunes.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2012, 08:48:29 PM »
15 at Kingston Heath gets a lot of votes as the best hole there.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2012, 09:16:10 PM »

Just remembered the two hundred yard uphill par 3 at Crail. Love that hole. Am I alone?

Anthony

archie_struthers

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2012, 09:20:02 PM »
 ??? ??? ???

Uphill is uphill .....the 15th at Pine Valley certainly qualifies. Johnny could really hit it, but sometimes he gets a little loose with  the lips .
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:35:37 PM by archie_struthers »

Jim Jackson

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2012, 09:29:17 PM »
How could we go this far in the thread without mentioning the 14th at CPC?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2012, 02:57:27 AM »

Just remembered the two hundred yard uphill par 3 at Crail. Love that hole. Am I alone?

Anthony

The 13th.  And no, you're not alone.  Could be the best hole on the course.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ted Kramer

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2012, 11:08:16 AM »
While it isn't as good as some of the more famous uphill holes at Shinnecock, Pebble, and BP Black that I've played . . .
When I was a member at Pine Hill, which is now a Trump course, I always loved #9. It is an uphill par 4 to a skyline green, very classy hole!

-Ted

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2012, 11:48:57 AM »
15 at Kingston Heath gets a lot of votes as the best hole there.

Mike:

From your portfolio, do you have any favorite uphill holes?

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2012, 12:07:15 PM »

Nobody has mentioned a well known hole.

6 at PB not well known?

What's PB?

I believe it's the place where johnny posted his last tour win.

6 at Pebble Beach is hard to call an uphill hole. There is a significantly uphill shot on the hole, certainly. But the drive is pretty significantly downhill and any third shot would be mostly level. Overall I would guess the tee is at about the same level as the green, perhaps slightly higher.

John Kirk

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2012, 04:19:48 PM »
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but it occurred to me a few years ago that several of the greatest courses have a significant number of uphill approaches.  Sand Hills and Merion come to mind immediately.  Sand Hills has seven or eight.  Let' s count:

#14 (often)

Thanks.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2012, 05:55:42 PM »
Asked another way, are there any uphill holes that would generally be considered the best hole on a particular course? I'm betting not.

The 8th at Crystal Downs, and the 8th at Prairie Dunes.

Not only that, PJ Boatwright and I love 17 at PD. So one could argue two uphill holes there "generally" could be considered the best two on that particular course.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2012, 07:23:57 PM »
Pine Valley 2nd
Augusta National 14th
Shinnecock Hills 9th
Pebble Beach 4th
Oakmont 2nd
Muirfield 13th
Merion 12th
National Golf Links of America 4th   and 16th
Royal Melbourne (West) 10th
Pinehurst (No. 2) 5th 
Ballybunnion (Old 2nd
Pacific Dunes 4th
Crystal Downs 8th
Seminole 2nd and 11th 
Prairie Dunes 4th and 8th
San Francisco 2nd 
Kingston Heath 15th
Fishers Island Club 3rd, 5th
Oakland Hills (South) 11th
Riviera 18th .
New South Wales 7th
Sunningdale (Old) 6th and 7th

I don't think I need to go on ...

Sean Leary

« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2012, 08:08:01 PM »
Interesting to see what people consider uphill. My definition is uphill from tee to green, and it needs to be significantly up hill. 16 at Bandon Trails fits my definition. 8 at Spyglass as well. Many great holes mentioned here I would not consider uphill holes.

John Kirk

« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2012, 08:15:21 PM »
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 08:19:05 PM by John Kirk »

Steve Strasheim

« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2012, 09:38:27 PM »
Anthony,

If you're talking about the one that goes right up the hill to the clubhouse, that is exactly the hole I thought about when I saw this thread. It's awesome, straight uphill with everything in front of you. Fabulous view climbing the hill from the tee, very memorable.

Anthony

Howard Riefs

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2012, 12:04:55 AM »
Sankaty Head, #17
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jim Nugent

« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2012, 12:41:36 AM »
Interesting to see what people consider uphill. My definition is uphill from tee to green, and it needs to be significantly up hill. 16 at Bandon Trails fits my definition. 8 at Spyglass as well. Many great holes mentioned here I would not consider uphill holes.

So long as the green is significantly above the tee, does it matter what happens in between?

How does Miller feel about blind holes? 

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2012, 01:59:01 AM »
I am inclined to disagree with most of the posts here, for me uphill is a tee shot to green surface that is blind, a tee shot to a fairway surface that is blind, and an approach shot off an uphill lie to a a green where the surface is completely blind.

I can't think of any that are good that match that description, and none are fun - on the other hand, if we requested everyone to list really bad uphill holes that fit the above, I bet we could get that thread to 5 pages in 24 hrs ;)

So, no ones comments above have convinced me of Mr Millers quote as being inaccurate.

16 at Trails, although a drudgery to play up that long hill, it is really only the approach shot that is blind to the putting surface, as I recall, but of course could be completely wrong!
@theflatsticker

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2012, 05:41:53 AM »
Sven

From the holes we have done my favourite uphill hole might be the 14th at Lake Karrinyup -  a short 4 with diagonal bunkers across the drive.
13 at Portsea is also really good - especially considering how poor the original was.
The par 5 18th at Ranfurlie turned out quite well given its a long hole with a blind second up the big hill back to the clubhouse.
For a par 3 we did a good job changing the look of the short 14th at Victoria.

Sean_A

« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2012, 06:08:53 AM »
I am inclined to disagree with most of the posts here, for me uphill is a tee shot to green surface that is blind, a tee shot to a fairway surface that is blind, and an approach shot off an uphill lie to a a green where the surface is completely blind.

I can't think of any that are good that match that description, and none are fun - on the other hand, if we requested everyone to list really bad uphill holes that fit the above, I bet we could get that thread to 5 pages in 24 hrs ;)

So, no ones comments above have convinced me of Mr Millers quote as being inaccurate.

16 at Trails, although a drudgery to play up that long hill, it is really only the approach shot that is blind to the putting surface, as I recall, but of course could be completely wrong!

Brent

That is a bizarre standard for uphill.  Some blind shots don't have to be much uphill at all and of course the steepest grades of fairway often mean blindness is far from on the cards.  I generally think of uphill as well, uphill.  I could understand if you said only examples of uphill shots which require at least one extra club, but otherwise, you have lost me.

I think St Enodoc's 4th is a cracking uphill hole.

I also love Sligo's 17th.

Pennard's 6th is excellent.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

David_Madison

« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2012, 06:28:11 AM »
Ridgewood CC -- #8 West
Pinehurst #2 -- 8th hole when played as a par 4

Mark Pearce

« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2012, 07:01:54 AM »
Brett, I agree with Sean.  Your standard for "uphill" just doesn't make any sense.  An uphill hole is a hole that plays up hill.  Why make it more complicated?  13 at Muirfield is a par 3 up a steep hill, to a steeply sloping green.  There is no blindness involved.  Only a contrarian could possibly attempt to argue that it was not an uphill hole.  However, its sounds like that is exactly what you would argue.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back