News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Pozaric

Re: Review of Hank Haney's "The Big Miss"
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2012, 11:09:34 AM »
I am of mixed emotions about the book.  Part of me says Hank should have kept quiet.  The other part of me thinks that most top teachers teach pros for the immediate revenue it offers AND the upside to the reputation and pay that such teaching brings.  This is just more of the upside. - just in a different direction than normal.

I probably don't condemn Haney as much because of my feelings for Tiger.  Had it been another golfer, I am not sure I would feel the same way.

Tiger and his agents should have had Hank sign an NDA - I bet they (and many other pros) won't make the same mistake again.
Steve Pozaric

Mike Benham

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2012, 11:20:53 AM »
Just posted my review on Golfweek.com. 

I came to this topic because I was expecting Hank to talk about Tiger's misgivings as an architect, but no, just a plug by Klein to drive traffic to the xxxxweek.com website ...

This should be labeled OT ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

PCCraig

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2012, 11:35:23 AM »
Tiger and his agents should have had Hank sign an NDA - I bet they (and many other pros) won't make the same mistake again.

I have a non-immediate family member who has worked for Oprah for a long time (15+ years). He told me you can't be employed by Harpo without an extremely strict NDA...that goes for anyone from the maintenance crew to the C-suite.
H.P.S.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2012, 11:48:24 AM »
I have only read the excerpt from the magazine. It would seem as though Haney feels that Tiger is a boor; nothing new there, I have had that impression of him since his days as an amateur.

Bob
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 11:51:03 AM by Bob_Huntley »

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2012, 12:13:32 PM »
Gotta go with Sir Huntley on this. While I always admired his talent, I never thought much of Tiger as a person. Although boor is not the word that comes to mind.   ;)

Jim Nelson

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2012, 12:21:48 PM »
If any of you ever catch yourself in bed reading this book while your wife is watching the latest episode of Housewives of New Jersey, please lay face down on your pillows and press firmly against each others skull.  Society can not afford to continue to feed your depravity.

Hmmm... can't quite visualize this.
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

Greg Tallman

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2012, 12:30:18 PM »
I think less of Haney for having "written" the book. Some have class and some do not. It's that simple. 

Ken Moum

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2012, 12:31:40 PM »
Tiger has been cashing in his entire career by trying to sell us an image of something he never was.

When has Tiger tried to sell himself as anything other than a great golfer?

Oh, I don't know, maybe when he pretended to be a devoted family man?

What ad is that in? I don't remember seeing it anywhere.

It was a photo released by his agent after the birth of son Charlie, roughly 10 months before the car crash. We now know he was simultaneously jugging several (perhaps dozens) of sleazy women.

That was clearly selling a false image of Tiger the devoted family man and generally good guy.  As has been proven, a big chunk of his endorsement empire depended on that image.  If it didn't, he wouldn't have lost all those sponsors.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2012, 12:33:14 PM »
I admire Brad for having a gig where he gets paid to read such drivel.  Why anyone else is interested, I can't imagine. People who buy the book are worse than those who profit from it.

John, 

I was going to borrow it from the Public Library.  Does this make me worse than those who buy it? 
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Greg Tallman

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2012, 12:33:52 PM »
Couple of points:

1.  Haney can't complain about his compensation.  He's made a ton from his association with Tiger.  He got 2 series on the Golf channel and God knows how many academy students paying top dollar, not to mention the advance for this illustrious addition to the literary canon.

2.  For someone who drove it all over creation when under Haney, Tiger's been driving it on a string since working with Foley.

3.  I have zero interest in reading this book.

And hit it pretty damn straight prior to working with him. Tiger's ego does not allow him to stick with one "partner" for any length of time. Had he stuck with Harmon we would likely not be wondering if he would ever catch Jack's major record.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 12:36:50 PM by Greg Tallman »

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2012, 12:34:28 PM »
Put me in the minority group with Brad and Tom as Brads words in Reply 17 hit the nail on the head.

Tiger has been cashing in his entire career by trying to sell us an image of something he never was.  Along comes Haney who is trying to cash in too,  for a mere handful of peanuts compared to what Tiger has amassed in his career,  and now Haney is the scumbag?

How is Haney taking advantage of his situation, any different than Tiger who took advantage of his situation.....or any of use who have used an edge in a business situation, or with a business contact, or with a favorable law, to make a buck in our careers?

I suppose the members of this DG never look for loopholes in the tax code to see how you can take advantage of them to pay the least amount possible?

+1
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Brad Klein

« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2012, 12:35:07 PM »
Michael Wharton-Palmer, re: your post #39. I can't tell which side you are on. Could you possibly be clearer regarding Haney's character?

Amazing, the emotions any discussion of Tiger Woods elicits.

John_Conley

« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2012, 12:46:23 PM »
I'm puzzled at how many posts are telling people what they should and shouldn't read.  Seriously, does anyone care what I do with my spare time?  (I would tell you that you shouldn't, but I guess that means I'd be no different.)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2012, 12:49:21 PM »
I admire Brad for having a gig where he gets paid to read such drivel.  Why anyone else is interested, I can't imagine. People who buy the book are worse than those who profit from it.

John, 

I was going to borrow it from the Public Library.  Does this make me worse than those who buy it? 

I support the use of your public library.  Back when I had young children who needed to be picked up after practice I would go to the library and nap.  Reading this book would be a great start.

Funny thing is as long as you don't check anything out you don't need a library card.  Hell, before the iPhone I would stop at public libraries along the road and post on GCA.  I miss my library slug friends.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2012, 12:51:41 PM »
I'm puzzled at how many posts are telling people what they should and shouldn't read.  Seriously, does anyone care what I do with my spare time?  (I would tell you that you shouldn't, but I guess that means I'd be no different.)

John, Are you the same guy that used to dominate the mini tours in central florida back in the mid 90's?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2012, 12:51:41 PM »

John,

Do you believe that our current gossip/train wreck culture is good for our future?  I get lazy evenings in front of a television or sneaking a peek in the check out line, but really, a book???  Books should be better than this.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2012, 12:58:48 PM »

John,

Do you believe that our current gossip/train wreck culture is good for our future?  I get lazy evenings in front of a television or sneaking a peek in the check out line, but really, a book???  Books should be better than this.

PEOPLE should be better than this. One ego maniacal jerk GOSSIPING about another ego maniacal jerk will end up being a best seller. Welcome to America.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2012, 01:33:12 PM »
Well i'm pleased to report that GCA.com leads the way in being a "gossip free" enviroment.    ::)  ::)

Of all the websites I've been a member of, GCA.com is certainly #1 when it comes to speculation/gossip/petty wars.  In light of that,  I'm surprised to see so many people blushing over a book about a golfer.  ;)

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2012, 01:36:33 PM »
Well i'm pleased to report that GCA.com leads the way in being a "gossip free" enviroment.    ::)  ::)

Of all the websites I've been a member of, GCA.com is certainly #1 when it comes to speculation/gossip/petty wars.  In light of that,  I'm surprised to see so many people blushing over a book about a golfer.  ;)

The hell it is.  Some of us are worse than "wimmen". 

Ken Moum

« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2012, 01:42:31 PM »
PEOPLE should be better than this. One ego maniacal jerk GOSSIPING about another ego maniacal jerk will end up being a best seller. Welcome to America.

Welcome to the human race. Stuff like this has been going on as long as humans have been communicating. The word gossip goes back to at least the 16th century.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the prehistoric cave writing turns out to be tales of other people's lives.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Greg Tallman

« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2012, 01:47:33 PM »

Welcome to the human race. Stuff like this has been going on as long as humans have been communicating. The word gossip goes back to at least the 16th century.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the prehistoric cave writing turns out to be tales of other people's lives.

K

Some of us do so in private messging... paging Mike and Tom...  ;)

Tim Martin

« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2012, 01:57:39 PM »
Buy it on Kindle. The shame factor has to be less than actually owning a copy.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2012, 01:58:41 PM »
The book in summary: Hank Haney called out Tiger Woods as an asshole. Based on my dealings with him, he's right. Based on what others who have dealt with him have told me, he's right.

Those who have evidence that Woods is a fine fellow, step right up.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

jeffwarne

« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2012, 02:08:04 PM »
The book in summary: Hank Haney called out Tiger Woods as an asshole. Based on my dealings with him, he's right. Based on what others who have dealt with him have told me, he's right.

Those who have evidence that Woods is a fine fellow, step right up.

Tim,
Faulting Haney for writing the book does not equate to defending Woods.
You calling Tiger an asshole (or even Haney calling him an asshole) is not the same as writing a book about the saga.
Haney has the right to do so, we have the right to think it's inappropriate.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tim Martin

« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2012, 02:08:27 PM »
Is anyone surprised that Jaime Diaz was involved with this?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back