News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Klein

Review of Hank Haney's "The Big Miss"
« on: March 20, 2012, 08:08:29 PM »
Just posted my review on Golfweek.com. The book is a great piece of golf literature, with amazing insights into Tiger's character (much of it, I assume, courtesy of Haney's writing collaborator, Jaime Diaz). Some will find fault with Haney simply for writing the book at all; at moments he starts to sound a bit like the Diva. But he's modest and low key compared to the profoundly shallow, temperamental and heavily defended cheapskate he worked for. Tiger might be a golf genius, but he's paid a terrible price, as have too many people around him.

http://golfweek.com/news/2012/mar/20/review-behind-scenes-tiger-inc/

Greg Tallman

Re: Review of Hank Haney's "The Big Miss"
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 08:09:51 PM »
DOn't give up hope just yet Paul!  ;)

Ken Fry

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 08:19:38 PM »
Well penned Brad.  Some sharp zingers thrown in there.

In your opinion, despite all the revelations about Tiger's true personality, is Haney doing the book at all in bad taste?

Ken

Brad Klein

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 08:25:41 PM »
Given the way Tiger treated him, Haney's book is measured and thoughtful and filled with graceful observations -- some of which I chalk up to his collaborator, who knows Woods as well as any writer does. I think Haney gets courage points for speaking up; look what happened when so many others kept silent.

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 08:28:33 PM »
Just posted my review on Golfweek.com. The book is a great piece of golf literature, with amazing insights into Tiger's character (much of it, I assume, courtesy of Haney's writing collaborator, Jaime Diaz). Some will find fault with Haney simply for writing the book at all; at moments he starts to sound a bit like the Diva. But he's modest and low key compared to the profoundly shallow, temperamental and heavily defended cheapskate he worked for. Tiger might be a golf genius, but he's paid a terrible price, as have too many people around him.

http://golfweek.com/news/2012/mar/20/review-behind-scenes-tiger-inc/

Tiger's tempermental and shallow? Shocker! :o :o :o

Tiger was a cheapskate?
or perhaps he paid Haney what he felt he was worth.

Nobody put a gun to Haney's head.(maybe a 9 iron ;))
I must say I was embarrassed for him watching him follow Tiger around on the course like a lost puppy.
never saw Butch doing that.
Never seen any great teacher so whipped.(and I've spent a fair bit of time with some of the best)

My question is, if Haney was treated so bad (Do you think Butch ever went for the takeout? ;D ::) ::) :o) )
Why on earth did he stay?

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 08:30:47 PM »
I find the entire concept of Haney writing a book distasteful and a money grab.  I've tried to stay away from listening to the stories as it seems like gossip.

Haney is not a doctor or lawyer where client privalage is legally defined but he has taken advantage of Woods uber popularity to cash in.  It seems like he has an axe to grind?  He was basically fired by Woods and as his coach was guilty by association when Woods affairs came to light.

What's next, his nannies, baby sitters, private chef?

David Kelly

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 08:36:25 PM »
No man is a hero to his valet.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 08:38:29 PM »
I find the entire concept of Haney writing a book distasteful and a money grab.  I've tried to stay away from listening to the stories as it seems like gossip.

Haney is not a doctor or lawyer where client privalage is legally defined but he has taken advantage of Woods uber popularity to cash in.  It seems like he has an axe to grind?  He was basically fired by Woods and as his coach was guilty by association when Woods affairs came to light.

What's next, his nannies, baby sitters, private chef?

Joel-Spot on observations. Just because he could do doesn't mean he should. It comes off as sour grapes.

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 08:41:05 PM »

or his "takeout" guy.

"yeah so  my head drops at impact-me and Byron Nelson-the guy they modeled the swing robot after.
Now go get me a Big Mac and large fries"

"and keep the car running-I'm going into Perkins" ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:44:37 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 08:53:42 PM »
The real story is how Haney managed to live a life on 50k plus travel expense for 100 days of work!  Complaining about that is laughable.

Tim Martin

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 09:02:52 PM »

or his "takeout" guy.

"yeah so  my head drops at impact-me and Byron Nelson-the guy they modeled the swing robot after.

Ray Romano-"Hey Hank why don't I finish off this bucket while you run out and score us some General's Chicken ".

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 09:07:25 PM »

or his "takeout" guy.

Ray Romano-"Hey Hank why don't I finish off this bucket while you run out and score us some General's Chicken ".

I just spit a milkshake through my nose ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Charles Barkley-"Hey Hank, you didn't think that money was for the lesson-where 'dem tacos?"
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:32:10 PM by jeffwarne »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 09:25:20 PM »

Who can Tiger trust?

Craig Sweet

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 09:27:13 PM »
Haney is doing alright because he worked with Tiger...I doubt he would have a TV show otherwise...and now he has a gossip magazine of a book to make him some more cash. Hank could have gone out for Kung Pao and kept right on walking...no one was holding him back...except the money he stood to make from the publicity of being TW's swing coach.  

I learned long ago not to expect too much from my sport and entertainment idols...Springsteen said it best when talking about fame and losing touch with your soul when he said he didn't want to live life behind a wall like Michael Jackson, or Elvis...so Tiger has opted for  life behind that wall. So be it..I don't need to gossip about it, nor do I need to read Haney's book.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 09:30:41 PM »

How much will he make from the book?

Anthony

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 09:32:57 PM »

How much will he make from the book?

Anthony

Are you thinking of writing a book Anthony?

Kalen
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JESII

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 09:33:36 PM »
Brad,

Would it effect your opinion that Haney was shorted if I told you he charged a local kid $30,000 to come to his school and spent 7 minutes with him in a year?

I'm no longer a Tiger fan but it's not a zero sum game. Hank's no hero...

Brad Klein

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 09:48:12 PM »
No, it would not change my opinion of the book. I don't know the circumstances, the terms, why only 7 minutes, but that would certainly influence my view of Haney.

But as a piece of evidence out there by which to judge Tiger, what Haney and Diaz have produced is among the more powerful texts in any golf library. Again, I find it interesting that some folks condemn Haney for writing this book, as if Tiger is being betrayed by an insider. And yet I heard a lot of people two years ago claim that we were hoodwinked and sold a bill of goods on Tiger and that no insiders came forth with the truth about Tiger, Inc. and that he was enabled by a wide network of complicitous people, including the media.

I don't mean to suggest it's the same people who are on both side now. But as a writer and journalist and golf fan I am certainly grateful that someone with insider information had the courage to step forth and write this, all along knowing that it came at considerable professional risk and questioning of his motives and even of his character. My point is we are better off with this account than without it. 

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 10:24:12 PM »
Brad - your last line of your last post seems a good summary of your views -- i.e. we're better off having the book than not having it.  Because from your posts you seems like a very smart and decent fellow (and because I think Jaime Diaz is a fine writer), I'm open to accepting that view and to maybe picking up the book.  And yet, just a few days ago someone posted re Lorne Rubenstein's new book on Moe Norman (which if I remember you commented favourably on) -- and I can't think of two golf books that could possibly be any more different: one an almost psychological (to borrow your analogy) analysis of dis-function and insularity and the corrosive power (on everyone it touches) of unbridled fame, money and success; and the other a humanistic and humane meditation on a quiet, troubled genius who found refuge from a difficult life in the purity of the golf swing and in the pursuit of mastery.  I think with money tight and a choice to be made, I'm going to pick the latter book; I have a sense I'll come out of it feeling enriched (deeper and gentler and quieter) instead of feeling more cynical, or, worse, somehow smugly superior.

Peter    

Tom MacWood

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 11:03:29 PM »
Other than Brad who on this thread has read the book?

JESII

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 11:11:34 PM »
Brad,

I haven't read the book, and probably will not although I did read the excerpts in Golf Digest. I appreciate your insight but can't help but think you're choosing sides (or did long ago) with some comments. Maybe that's the whole point of a review, I actually don't know.

You suggested Haney had to "pick his moments carefully in offering instruction" yet Haney tells us he suggested a major grip change in the middle of the Dallas tournament while Tiger was leading, and just a couple months into their working together. I wouldn't exactly call that tip-toeing. This was one of very few tournaments Tiger lead and didn't win.

I have no problem with Haney writing the book, and I'm not defending Tiger in any way. I just think he set himself up as some sort of victim and that's pretty weak in my opinion.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 11:16:13 PM »
I admire Brad for having a gig where he gets paid to read such drivel.  Why anyone else is interested, I can't imagine. People who buy the book are worse than those who profit from it.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 11:27:42 PM »
I've read quite a few biographies over the years, good and bad. The good ones are quite interesting and give insight into what makes that person tick. Should pro golfers be off limits? I'm not sure what is at work here, but there seems to be a good number of Tiger apologists. Why?

Brad Klein

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 11:28:09 PM »
Jim, the occasion you refer to, Tiger shot 65-67, they went to another golf course and Haney suggested something (a fist-ier grip) just to keep an open mind about some day, Tiger tried it out and after a dozen shots volunteered "I"m going with this." Then over the weekend he shot 70-69 and finished 4th.

I don't see how that's forcing something or evidence of bad judgment. hey talked and tinkered all of the time, often the morning of a round. Obviously a grip change is a whole lot bigger than a swing key. The book has dozens of examples of Haney holding back, waiting, deciding, wondering when to suggest, punting. Those must be tough calls and are part of his job. I don't see how that contradicts what I wrote.

I think the strength of the book is that Haney is willing to court criticism by having written it and by showing where he thinks he was right and where he thinks Tiger was wrong. Readers are free to judge that and to find fault in him. I just like a book that's well written, presents a distinct point of view and reveals something about its characters, flaws and all. There are no heroes in this account.

JESII

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 11:39:11 PM »
Brad,

Tiger played 18 or 20 tournaments per year, leaving more than 30 weeks off and he chose the middle of a tournament Tiger was winning to suggest a grip change. That just doesn't sound like a teacher walking on egg shells to me.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back