News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re: Review of Hank Haney's "The Big Miss"
« Reply #225 on: March 27, 2012, 05:53:57 PM »
How can anyone recommend a book that essentially breaks such a trust? Newport's final sentence should have read "Golf fans will put the book down feeling as if they were an eyewitness to history as seen through a hole drilled in a locker room wall"

Would that it were that objective...
George,

Have you read the book to comment on its objectivity?  I accept that you can comment on the principle of Ganey writing the book at all without reading it and I respect your view on that, though don't agree with it.  But I don't see how you can comment on the objectivity of the book without actually reading it.

My point is that no one, save Tiger and Hank, will ever know how objective it is. There is no way anyone outside can ever say, and I don't think it's accurate to describe it as seeing it through a hole, as that is far more objective than an interested observer, imho.

The problem is inherent in most sports reporting, and reporting in general, these days. Too many want to be writers rather than reporters. That's fine if it's clear up front, but when it is done under the guise of reporting, I think there is a problem.

Going back to your earlier post, I don't think Haney committed a heinous crime, merely an unseemly, rather personal, betrayal of trust. I don't think he broke any code of ethics, he just will never be credible in my eyes.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #226 on: March 27, 2012, 06:06:49 PM »
Stats: 

33 different posters were anti-book and felt Haney shouldn't have written it.
13      "          "         "    pro-book   
5        "          "       made  anti-Tiger remarks but made no direct comment about the book
3       "           "        supported Brad's review

Several others made comments but did not mention a preference either way.

p.s. I'm avoiding painting some window sash.  ;D     

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Kalen Braley

« Reply #227 on: March 27, 2012, 06:11:19 PM »
Jim,

Very nice statistical break-down....I love it when I'm wowed with the numbers:

I was curious however, what you were trying to get at by posting those...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:33:09 PM by Kalen Braley »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #228 on: March 27, 2012, 06:20:16 PM »
Mainly, an avoidance of the mind numbing task of painting 8 over 8 sash. Partially, I was interested in seeing how the wood was stacked.

David_Tepper

« Reply #229 on: March 27, 2012, 06:47:54 PM »
"5 Quick Questions With Hank Haney"

http://www.thomasbonk.com/home/457-5-quick-questions-for-hank-haney.html

"That thing that (swing coach) Rick Smith said, that I violated some kind of golfer-coach trust, that’s just grandstanding."

"I pretty much decided then that he would be the last player I ever coached.  And I’m fine with that."
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:50:13 PM by David_Tepper »

David_Tepper

« Reply #230 on: March 27, 2012, 06:54:07 PM »

David_Tepper

« Reply #231 on: March 27, 2012, 07:40:18 PM »
"Stats:

13      "          "         "    pro-book  
5        "          "       made  anti-Tiger remarks but made no direct comment about the book
3       "           "        supported Brad's review

p.s. I'm avoiding painting some window sash."  

Jim K. -

You forgot the most important stat of all:

# of people who have read the book: 0

DT    
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:59:27 PM by David_Tepper »

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #232 on: March 27, 2012, 07:52:46 PM »
A few random questions for the book of the month club:

1. How noble is it to capitalize on someone else's misfortune?

2. If Tiger had been in a legit car accident in Nov 2009 and his resulting injuries kept him away from golf for the better part of 2 years (no marital scandal)- would Hank have likely written this book?

3. If you had penned this literary masterpiece would you feel proud or somewhat smarmy?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:54:23 PM by Chris DeNigris »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #233 on: March 27, 2012, 08:08:25 PM »
It's a money grab based on proximity to a great man who's been humbled. Then Hank piles on. How magnanimous. What an important snapshot!  In truth, this whole episode will reveal more about Haney's character than Tiger's. We all know Tiger is a pig. Now we know Hank is an opportunist. How refreshing it all is!  In the end Haney might achieve the impossible: making Tiger look like a victim.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #234 on: March 27, 2012, 08:12:50 PM »
"Stats:

5        "          "       made  anti-Tiger remarks but made no direct comment about the book

Jim K. -

DT    

Any number of reviewers can critque the book in any fashion they choose. The largest issue among the 33 posters seems to be a violation of trust on Haney's part.
If he felt abused, overlooked, neglected, or underpaid, he could have just walked out the door. That would probably have been harder to do than ask for a lousy popsicle, but at least he could have done it standing up.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #235 on: March 27, 2012, 08:16:54 PM »
"Stats:

Jim K. -

DT    

Any number of reviewers can critque the book in any fashion they choose. The largest issue among the 33 posters seems to be a violation of trust on Haney's part.
If he felt abused, overlooked, neglected, or underpaid, he could have just walked out the door. That would probably have been harder to do than ask for a lousy popsicle, but at least he could have done it standing up.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but don't things like "trust" and "loyalty" need to be earned and deserved?  If Tiger wanted loyalty, maybe he should have tried being less of a jerk.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

George Pazin

« Reply #236 on: March 27, 2012, 08:23:07 PM »
"Stats:

Jim K. -

DT    

Maybe I'm missing something here, but don't things like "trust" and "loyalty" need to be earned and deserved?  If Tiger wanted loyalty, maybe he should have tried being less of a jerk.

And of course you know that Tiger was a jerk to Haney and did nothing to earn his respect or loyalty how exactly?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #237 on: March 27, 2012, 08:31:11 PM »
JNC,
They worked together for 6 years, plenty of chances for Haney to quit if he felt unloved, or got tired of going for the take-out.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #238 on: March 27, 2012, 08:34:52 PM »
"Stats:

Jim K. -

DT    

And of course you know that Tiger was a jerk to Haney and did nothing to earn his respect or loyalty how exactly?

From reading excerpts of Haney's book and listening to interviews with Haney.  Like most people responding to this thread, I haven't read the book.  I think I'd like to read it at some point--I'm actually more interested in the golf part of it, because the fear of the "big miss" with the driver is something I struggle with in my own game.

My thoughts are these: there have been several posts on this thread that indicate disapproval of Haney's book because it violates some sort of undying loyalty that he should have toward Tiger.  I believe loyalty is an admirable quality, but loyalty should be deserved.  From what I understand, TW is, like most great professional athletes, very self-centered and oblivious to anybody around him.  He has a total disregard for anyone but himself.  This comes from Haney, as well as other sources.  Tiger was also known to "freeze out" Haney when he didn't play well (this comes from Haney's interview on the Dan Patrick Show today), essentially laying all the blame on the coach for his poor play.  Call me crazy, but this type of person is not someone to whom I'd be loyal.  I don't blame Haney for not being loyal himself.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #239 on: March 27, 2012, 08:40:32 PM »
JNC,
They worked together for 6 years, plenty of chances for Haney to quit if he felt unloved, or got tired of going for the take-out.

How easy, mentally, would it be to quit a job like Haney's?  Think about it: on the face of it, Haney had reached the ultimate in his profession.  He was working with the best golfer in the world, and possibly the best golfer in the history of the game.  Not only that, he was personally recruited by Tiger for the position.  Although he was accomplished as a teaching pro before he started with Tiger, the job had brought him newfound fame.  Deep into that job, no matter how miserable it was, Haney must have felt he depended on Tiger for his success.  Quitting a job like that must have taken some serious guts and self-reflection, and I think I can understand why it took him so long to quit.

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #240 on: March 27, 2012, 08:40:45 PM »
Forget the loyalty part...how about simple decency. Anything for a buck is a great way to go through life.

I bet Hank feels a little bit like the guy who owns a few successful strip clubs. Or he should.

jeffwarne

« Reply #241 on: March 27, 2012, 08:48:26 PM »

I bet Hank feels a little bit like the guy who owns a few successful strip clubs. Or he should.

He's partnering with Tiger again?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Anthony Gray

« Reply #242 on: March 27, 2012, 08:50:46 PM »

He's on CNN in about ten minutes

Terry Lavin

« Reply #243 on: March 27, 2012, 08:53:39 PM »
Media whore beating up a guy revealed by the media to be a whore. Tabloid poetry.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Ben Sims

« Reply #244 on: March 27, 2012, 09:09:53 PM »
Tiger, Lance and Michael--the undisputed biggest athletes in the US since 1990--teach us that great athlete doesn't equal great man.  Hank wrote a book about it.  Big deal. 

Peyton Manning and Drew Brees are the exceptions to the modern day athlete, not the rule.  Hank didn't owe Tiger anything.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #245 on: March 27, 2012, 09:12:54 PM »
How easy, mentally, would it be to quit a job like Haney's?  Think about it: on the face of it, Haney had reached the ultimate in his profession.  He was working with the best golfer in the world, and possibly the best golfer in the history of the game.  Not only that, he was personally recruited by Tiger for the position.  Although he was accomplished as a teaching pro before he started with Tiger, the job had brought him newfound fame.  Deep into that job, no matter how miserable it was, Haney must have felt he depended on Tiger for his success.  Quitting a job like that must have taken some serious guts and self-reflection, and I think I can understand why it took him so long to quit.

You're young.  ;D

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #246 on: March 27, 2012, 09:35:36 PM »
Ben- You do a great number of modern day athletes an injustice with that broad stroke. Even if you meant to say professional athlete. There are scores of decent, honorable and role model worthy pro sportsmen and women...in all sizes and shapes. You just don't often hear about the good ones (and the good things they do) nearly as often as you hear about the bad ones. One reason is because we're so tolerant and accepting (and craving) of this type of tabloid style, opportunistic reporting/journalism that caters to the lowest common denominator.

Tiger, while a great athlete, is far, far from being an admirable person. Everyone knew that already. Hopefully he's making progress in becoming a better human.

Greg Holland

« Reply #247 on: March 27, 2012, 10:02:20 PM »

Maybe I'm missing something here, but don't things like "trust" and "loyalty" need to be earned and deserved?  If Tiger wanted loyalty, maybe he should have tried being less of a jerk.
[/quote]

How many times have you met Tiger to decide he is a jerk?  

The interesting thing to me is that so many decry Tiger as if they have spent days with and know him, but in fact have never seen him except on tv -- when he is in his "competitive zone" or guarded media persona (because by the way, the media follow him to the golf course, the restuarant, the drug store, hang out side his neighborhood, etc. -- and have done so long before the fire hydrant incident).  If Haney thought he was a jerk, he should have quit.  Yet, he stayed with him for years until he was fired.

I haven't met Tiger or Phil.  But I have talked to several well known pros, including 2 major champions and a number of caddies, and I think almost all of them had strong feelings about the two -- and you might be surprised to learn who they liked most and thought was a real guy and who they didn't.  Much of this is speculation through each person's own rose colored glasses.   It has also been alluded to in earlier posts, and I will say I disagree with Tiger's personal transgressions, but if being a philanderer is your issue -- there are a number of other very famous golfers (and athletes and politicians (and I am pretty sure they each actually held themselves out as a family man), etc. etc.) that need your indignation and hate as well.  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:06:11 PM by Greg Holland »

Kenny Baer

« Reply #248 on: March 27, 2012, 10:12:07 PM »
I have the book and have read most of it. Most people seem to have issue that he simply wrote a book. The book itself is overall more complimentary to Tiger than anything, it is mostly written from the point of view that he is in awe of Tiger and his talents, the "gossip" is such a small piece of the overall story and is typical of the media trying to sensationalize everything. 

Is writing a book about someone off limits even if the book is flattering?  I suggest reading it.

David_Tepper

« Reply #249 on: March 27, 2012, 10:20:08 PM »
"Yet, he stayed with him for years until he was fired."

Greg Holland -

Haney says he was not fired, but he quit even though Tiger did not want him to.

DT

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back