News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Jansen

Silverado GC (Napa, Ca): North or South?
« on: March 20, 2012, 07:35:43 PM »
Headed up to Napa this weekend for the first time and making a stay at Silverado with a chance to play once. 

For those that have been there, which should I play... North or South course?

Thank You!

Howard Riefs

Re: Silverado GC (Napa, Ca): North or South?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 07:47:27 PM »
While I haven't played either, the North was redone last year. Matt Ginella wrote about it last year in Golf Digest:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/golf-travel/buddies/2011-10/away-game-napa

Perhaps more importantly, a vineyard recommendation:

Pride Mountain Vineyards
4026 Spring Mountain Road
St. Helena, CA 94574
http://www.pridewines.com
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 08:36:19 PM »
I'm told Miller did a fairly good job with the redo.  The North is the only way to go if you have to choose one.  I would probably skip both and play Aetna Springs which Tom Doak rebuilt a few years ago and has some history and architectural merit.  Silverado is a housing track and just typical Jones.

Many wineries now require an appointment so I would pursue that.

My favorites are Silver Oak, Hess, Duckhorn and Caymus.  Wine always tastes better up there.  When you buy it and get home it doesn't nearly taste as good?

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 11:21:29 PM »
Mike J. -

Aetna Springs is big fun and well worth playing, but be aware it is 9-holes and a 40 minute drive north of Silverado. It is also operating on a limited schedule, so it is important to contact them in advance to let them know you want to play there.

http://www.aetnasprings.com

When the PGA Tour played at Silverado in the 1980's, they played the North Course. When the Senior Tour played there in the 1990's, they played the South Course.

DT

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 11:27:35 PM »
Neither course is as good as the original course which was split in two with two new nines forming the new N and S.

I would run down to Sonoma and play Sonoma National, it's the best in wine country by far.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 12:29:09 AM »
I played both courses back in the late 80's.  Afraid the most memorable part of the weekend was the morning brunch buffet.  If neither course has improved much since then, I go along with recommendations that you look elsewhere. 

Keith Doleshel

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 09:41:35 AM »
I have heard good reviews about the North course since the renovation.  Having only played the South course in a downpour (literally 2-3 inches of rain during my round), I don't have too much recollection of the holes, I was only trying to stay dry.  Even though we have plenty of examples of bad Johnny Miller designs in the Bay Area, he apparently did a good job with the North at Silverado.  I did a photo thread on Aetna Springs a few months back, it is a lot of fun but a little bit of a throw from Napa.  Worth checking out though if you have the time.  Sonoma National is a good call, very solid golf course.  Rutherford Grill or Cole's Chophouse are two dinner recommendations if you are a steak guy, although there are no shortage of great places to eat throughout the Napa Valley.

Mike Benham

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 11:33:17 AM »

My favorites are Silver Oak, Hess, Duckhorn and Caymus. 

Joel -

Not exactly the hidden gems of the Napa Valley ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike Tanner

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 05:50:51 PM »
I'm told Miller did a fairly good job with the redo.  The North is the only way to go if you have to choose one.  I would probably skip both and play Aetna Springs which Tom Doak rebuilt a few years ago and has some history and architectural merit.  Silverado is a housing track and just typical Jones.

Many wineries now require an appointment so I would pursue that.

My favorites are Silver Oak, Hess, Duckhorn and Caymus.  Wine always tastes better up there.  When you buy it and get home it doesn't nearly taste as good?

If your home was in wine country, the wines would taste better, but still not as good as they do in a winery's tasting room. You just can't duplicate that experience.
Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 08:44:01 PM »

My favorites are Silver Oak, Hess, Duckhorn and Caymus. 

Joel -

Not exactly the hidden gems of the Napa Valley ...

Joel's favorite courses are Pine Valley and Cypress Point.

I did love Silver Oak back in the day when I bought it on the expense account.    Today I seek obscure (read "affordable") Shiraz, Malbec and bordeaux.   Perhaps a nice Chateau Thames Embankment.    ;D

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 11:16:36 PM »
I've never played golf in Napa.  All I know of it I learned from Sideways.

For wine, some of the better not-so-well known high-end producers are Viader, David Arthur and Blankiet.  If you're looking for the mom and pop places, try Sawyer (next door to Cakebread) or Sciandri Family Vineyards.  Recommend the Meritage from Sawyer.  Sciandri is a family run place in the hills just east of the town of Napa.  Make sure you get your tour from Ron Sr.  Ron Jr. and his brother Ryan can be a little tough to take.

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

JR Potts

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 11:19:48 PM »
While I haven't played either, the North was redone last year. Matt Ginella wrote about it last year in Golf Digest:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/golf-travel/buddies/2011-10/away-game-napa

Perhaps more importantly, a vineyard recommendation:

Pride Mountain Vineyards
4026 Spring Mountain Road
St. Helena, CA 94574
http://www.pridewines.com

Pride Mountain...the best!  And what a drive!

Go play Langtry Farms...it's only $2000 per person if playing alone.

What a bargain.

David_Tepper

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 11:25:21 PM »
"I've never played golf in Napa.  All I know of it I learned from Sideways."

Sven N. -

Sideways was filmed in the Santa Maria wine country, north of Santa Barbara, which is a long, long way from Napa Valley. It is at least a 4-hour drive from Santa Maria to Napa.

DT
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 11:30:49 PM by David_Tepper »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 11:30:13 PM »
"I've never played golf in Napa.  All I know of it I learned from Sideways."

Sven N. -

Sideways was filmed in the Santa Maria wine country, north of Santa Barbara, which is a long, long was from Napa Valley. It is at least a 4-hour drive from Santa Maria to Napa.

DT

I guess I know even less than I thought I did about golf in Napa, and movies.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

David_Tepper

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 11:43:43 PM »
Sven N. -

The golf scene in Sideways was filmed on the River Courses at the Alisal Ranch, 20-30 miles north of Santa Barbara.

http://www.santabarbara.com/activities/golf/river_course/

DT

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 11:53:26 PM »
Designed by Halsay Daray, someone I've never heard of (http://halseydg.com/golf-course-projects/).  His portfolio suggests he did some work at Torrey Pines.  Anyone have any info on this?

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 10:28:12 AM »
I'll leave the course discussions to others, though golf in this region is somewhat limited in quality, as most of us are well aware.

If you want a real wine adventure and a unique, imtimate setting to taste and see wine production...Robert Kennan Winery is your ticket! The highest winery in the Napa-Sonoma area, the place is the bomb. Understated, unhurried, with the best Cabs, dollar for dollar, in Northern California. They also do an excellent, un-oaked chard and several other varieties that generally hit a high mark.

Call ahead, ask for Laura, and she'll set you up. I'll always remember her great line to me when we arrived there for the first time, after having a bit of a time finding the place, "Yeh, when you come here you're either lost...or on a mission!" How true Laura, how true.

You will not regret making the effort to visit this winery. It has very few peers.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 10:30:15 AM by Kris Shreiner »
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back