News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Hutto

Bandon vs. the UK
« on: March 17, 2012, 09:42:47 PM »
Yes, I know I've posted on this before. Sorry.

It looked like 2012 might finally be The Year for me to finally visit the Bandon resort. In the past it has always seemed too hard to reach and just not a good value-for-money proposition from the East Coast USA. Those direct Charlotte to Gatwick flights every day always seem irresistible. But with the Olympics and pre-Olympics stuff to be avoided this summer and now that both Delta and United can make connections by puddle-jumper into Bandon, it seemed worth pursuing.

I went as far as putting up a (refundable) deposit to reserve three days of golf and four nights lodging at the resort around my birthday in early September. But running the final tally make me stop and think again. It's going to end up costing darned near three grand for those threes days including airfare and so forth and that's not even accounting for food and drink. Geez I've spent way less than that for a full week of golf in the UK.

The courses do look delightful and they're even adding the Par 3 Preserve course this summer. But I couldn't possibly budget for a fourth or fifth day and it seems silly to cross a continent (14 hours travel time door-to-door, minimum) and only be there for three golf days. All it takes is a missing puddle-jumper connection or a couple days in a row of heavy weather and it turns into a $3,000 disappointment.

Other than Bandon, the other place at the top of my must-play list right now is Ganton. Very different kettle of fish (inland, not a resort, a single course, etc.) but one day I've just got to experience that course fully. So I ran comparison numbers and darned if it didn't work out about like every other time. I can get five golf days to play as many times around Ganton as I like plus a side-trip round or two nearby and it works out to hundreds of dollars less expensive even with the transatlantic flight cost.

There's the added factor of my preference for playing one or two courses several times over playing many courses once. In three days at Bandon I'd probably end up experience a blur (a pleasurable blur, but still) of too many courses and too many holes in too short a time. I know some people like that better than going around the same track over and over but I'm probably just a NASCAR golfer at heart, content to drive fast and just keep turning left lap after lap.

So I dunno, that's how it's seeming to me at the moment. I have a feeling if I took a poll the responses would come down at least five to one in favor of three days at Bandon vs. five days out in the middle of Yorkshire. And maybe that's how I feel after some more cogitating on it...

[EDIT]Went back and clarified that my reference to "three grand" was inclusive of airfare and ground transportation, not just the cost of golf+lodging which is around $2,000.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 02:32:44 AM by Brent Hutto »

Jud_T

Re: Bandon vs. the UK
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 09:53:49 PM »
5 days in Bandon is the right number IMO.  Hell you're pretty much spending a day each way to get there.   You want to play Pac Dunes, Bandon Trails and Old Mac at least twice each, plus the obligatory round on Bandon Dunes and probably a couple afternoons on the Preserve, plus a bit of rest and a massage.   ;)   Less jet lag, no customs, and all the great golf you could want in one location...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 09:59:08 PM »
Brent, go there one year from today, the prices are 50% of your September trip.  It will be colder than Columbia SC but like the shoulder season in GBI.  I've been there twice in March and the prices are so good we opt for single rooms in the Lodge if we want to party or the Inn if we want to chill out.  Biggest issue for me in March is the courses may have not been designed for the prevailing wind that time of year.

PS I once played for 10 days in Ireland for $1,200 including flights, but I called in a bunch of favors and pretended to be a local at times.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 10:04:12 PM »

Bandon IS the best golf in the world.

Manthony

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 10:06:58 PM »
Biggest issue for me in March is the courses may have not been designed for the prevailing wind that time of year.

You sure about that one?  Find it hard to believe the guys who did the work out there would not have contemplated how every hole would play in the winter wind.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tim Bert

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 10:15:33 PM »
Brent - Been 4 times. Three times in peak season in June.  Never have to contend with rain in late June. Fly into Portland and drive and you don't lose much time and you don't have to contend with missed connections. Never spent more than $2500 all inclusive for 4 days of golf. We double up in beds to save the cash there and instead of going cheap on the golf.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 10:17:58 PM »
Who would you be playing with, and what else besides the golf?  That's what I'd ask.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 03:52:50 AM »

PS I once played for 10 days in Ireland for $1,200 including flights, but I called in a bunch of favors and pretended to be a local at times.

Mike I don't understand how "pretended to be a local" helped, can you explain?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Martin Toal

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 05:49:06 AM »

Mike I don't understand how "pretended to be a local" helped, can you explain?

Just swore a lot and had a cheap bag of old clubs.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 06:08:40 AM »
Its a shame its so hard to get too and so expensive from the UK. I think I have suggested this trip to a dozen different parties now without success.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 06:28:37 AM »
I have never been to Bandon and I'm willing to bet against me ever seeing it.

There are just too many great courses closer to home and too many classic courses in the US that I have yet to see.

That and a general dislike for "resort" golf, no matter how good that resort and how excellent the golf courses has Bandon a little lower on my list than on some others. I am keen however to see more Renaissance and C&C courses. They just might end up being other ones.

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 06:58:24 AM »
I would like to see Bandon one day (more specifically Old Mac), but as Ally suggests, resort golf atmosphere isn't really my bag.  More importantly, this place is a pig to get to and expensive to play and stay.  There are just way too many far easier and cheaper options to choose.  That said, if I was in Brent's shoes I would skip the UK this time and aim for as shoulder season at Bandon.  The golf really does look too wonderful to continuously pass it up if living in The States.     

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 07:00:23 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 11:06:30 AM »
I live in the PNW and its hard to get out there for me.  Its a 9 hour drive which is equivilant to a full day of flying/traveling from anywhere in the US. ( I've priced a local flight from Spokane to North Bend and was shocked at how much they were asking, and still required 4 hours of travel to get there with a layover in Portland)

That being said, I know Bandon is technically a "resort"...but it feels far from it when on the premises.  It feels more like a large multi-course club.  And the terrain/environment has that wild/unharnessed feel to it, which I always love in my golf courses.

P.S.  That being said, I would find it even harder to justify a trip to the UK.  With the brutal exchange rate/lousy weather/lack of highway infrastructure...combined with outrageous green fees for select courses like TOC, that's not on my schedule anytime soon either.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:09:59 AM by Kalen Braley »

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 11:48:55 AM »
I live in the PNW and its hard to get out there for me. 

P.S.  That being said, I would find it even harder to justify a trip to the UK.  With the brutal exchange rate/lousy weather/lack of highway infrastructure...combined with outrageous green fees for select courses like TOC, that's not on my schedule anytime soon either.

Kalen,
Granted you live towards the west coast, but you seriously need to rethink that position.
There are still TREMENDOUS values in Ireland and the UK, and the exchange rate is far better than it was a few years ago.
Lack of highway infrastructure? seriously?
that's part of the great charm of the areas.

Don't base a decision on the Old Course (although I would argue it's good value too compared to our public access greats Pebble, Kiowah etc. and it's the Old Course-they're not)
Northwest ireland, Wales, Northern scotland, England away from London, so many values, so little time.....

I'm going to give you the weather though..... ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mac Plumart

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 11:53:40 AM »
Brent...

I've gotten some good scoop on Bandon from Mike Hogan.  Send him a PM if you have a desire to get out there.  He knows all the tricks.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

David_Tepper

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 11:58:24 AM »
"With the brutal exchange rate"

Kalen B. -

As the chart linked below will show, the U.S.$/British Pound exchange rate has been pretty stable (and rather reasonable) for most of the past 13+ years. What makes things seem expensive in the U.K. is the 20% Value Added Tax, which is built into the price of just about everything.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=GBPUSD%3DX+Interactive#symbol=;range=my;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;

DT
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 12:15:45 PM by David_Tepper »

Brent Hutto

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 12:01:12 PM »
An example at current exchange rates. 36 holes at Bandon is $345 in September. 36 holes at Ganton is $138 m-f or $154 weekend. Single lodge room at Bandon is $255. Single at Ganton Greyhound Inn is $82 including breakfast.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 12:20:43 PM »
I've made three trips to Bandon and six to the United Kingdom.

I would rather play overseas.
I usually play 10 or 11 rounds on a trip and like to play 8-10 courses per visit.

The biggest mistake people make is not playing the lesser known courses.
There is wonderful value and far greater experinces to be gained.

But even more imp[ortantly I prefer the cultural opportunities beyond golf.

I'd wait till the exchange rate keeps you home.
You'll get to Bandon eventually.

William_G

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 12:25:03 PM »
Brent...

I've gotten some good scoop on Bandon from Mike Hogan.  Send him a PM if you have a desire to get out there.  He knows all the tricks.

Brent,

You could try flying to Eugene from Charlotte via United or Delta...rent a car....enoy the drive...play Eugene Country Club either on your way home or on your way to Bandon...catch a Duck football game if so inclined...

Agree with Kalen, Bandon does not have a "resort" feel...it is all about the golf.

Happy to assist you or anyone traveling to and fro, I know a few things about Bandon, LOL.

Thanks
It's all about the golf!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 12:55:06 PM »
lousy weather

Kalen,

are you kidding. Much of England is suffering one of the worst droughts on record. Still, here in Scotland we saw enough water in 2011 ;D

Jon

Brent Hutto

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 01:30:58 PM »
I appreciate all the thoughtful replies but can't address each remark individually. A couple of general responses, though...

It looks like the costs that I find offputting are indeed prime-season prices. So that can be largely eliminated by going in November or March. But frankly that just doesn't seem real appealing. I guess I've just become a fair-weather golfer somewhere along the but I no longer relish the adventure of playing bundled up or in rain gear. Still, it's an option worth considering.

The Charlotte-Eugene then rental car option looks very promising. I was not aware just how short the drive is, in my imagination Eugene was almost as long a drive from Bandon as Portland is. At more like 2-1/2 to 3 hours that is very practical, especially if I were to take a late-night-arrival flight, overnight in Eugene and make the drive early the next morning (easy to do when ones internal clock is still on east coast time).

In the final analysis, I seem to be returning to a conclusion I came to previously when considering a Bandon trip. It is, for me, really a destination best suited to travelling with either a small group or at least one other person. One can slightly reduce the lodging cost that way, split any needed rental car cost and/or share driving duties and play each day with at least one of the same people instead of three random strangers. I'm not averse to foursomes in which I know none of the other players but a steady diet of it gets tiring. Solo trips to the UK have always seemed perfectly enjoyable but I think a fixed, resort (or semi-resort) destination is best enjoyed with company.

On the flip side, my dates seems to be favoring an overlap with the Buda Cup over on the opposite side of England from Ganton which greatly reduces any chances of a meet-up with my several UK/GCA golf buddies if I make this year my Ganton year. Less of an issue if I reschedule a couple weeks later in September, though.

P.S. With respect to Bandon's resort-likeness or not I think "resort golf" means different things to different people. The upside is the incredible "we've thought of everything" organization of the operation there. Hard to see anyone not appreciating that when they're planning a trip. But the potential downsides are two and they are entirely subjective. There's resort-like in the sense of having an excess of "service" and "high touch" type things (not to mention spas for spouses or organized communal activities other than golf) in which you feel like you're wading through a bunch of complicated distractions to get to the golf. Not Bandon, from all account.

But there's also the resort-like feel that comes from knowing every living soul you encounter will either be another golf tourist like yourself or a full-time service provider connected with the resort. That along with sheer scale (large lodging complexes, packed tee sheets, highly specialized personnel) can be an upside if you're really into being immersed into a golf sensory overload but can be a downside if your preferences are bit more diffuse and varied. Bandon is definitely an example of golf-monomania overload, it's up to the individual visitor whether that's a plus or a minus. For me it's a plus when traveling with a group and a bit overwhelming when traveling solo.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 02:40:53 PM by Brent Hutto »

Jim Tang

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 01:45:03 PM »
Brent -

Go to Bandon.  I would even suggest adding a day or two to your trip.  Is it expensive?  Yes.  Is it difficult to get to?  Yes.  Is it worth every penny you'll spend?  Absolutely.

Bandon does not feel at all like a resort.  It has its own special vibe, you'll know what I'm talking about as soon as you set foot on the property.  I've been there twice and I'm headed there again in July.  It is a world class facility.

There are some experiences in life that cannot be measured in dollars.  For a golfer, Bandon is one of them.  You're on GCA, you obviously love golf and care about golf course architecture.  It is a place you should see.  I don't believe you will regret it.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 02:06:55 PM »

Bandon is costly but not expensive and it is a must for your resume.

Anthony

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 02:07:58 PM »
Kalen the pound has never been weaker on the world stage, only the US dollar is matching it.

Adrian - I cannot imagine a group leaving these shores to play what appears to be great links style golf on a resort a days travel away. The green fees appear eye watering and you wouldn't go off season.

Cave Nil Vino

Anthony Gray

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 02:11:15 PM »
Kalen the pound has never been weaker on the world stage, only the US dollar is matching it.

Adrian - I cannot imagine a group leaving these shores to play what appears to be great links style golf on a resort a days travel away. The green fees appear eye watering and you wouldn't go off season.

It's the best golf in the world Mark.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back