News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Disher

Re: Walking Golf Shoes
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 11:52:15 AM »
The new Trues have a different sole pattern than the older ones. Is the pattern a significant improvement?

Sean Leary

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 12:41:25 PM »
How are the Trues waterproofing holding up for those who have had them for a while? Are they 1 or 2 year warranty?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:17:34 PM by Sean Leary »

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 01:07:51 PM »
How are the Trues waterproofing holding up for those who have gad them for a while? Are they 1 or 2 year warranty?

Sean, I will let you know...

I am sitting on an airplane headed out to Bandon for five days of golf - 36 holes per day.  I packed two pairs of Trues.  The forecast is sketchy at best and downright depressing at worst...

Wednesday
Overcast with rain. High of 48F. Winds from the South at 20-25 mph with gusts to 60 mph. Chance of rain 100%.

Thursday
Overcast with rain. High of 50F. Winds from the SSW at 20-30 mph with gusts to 45 mph. Chance of rain 100% with rainfall amounts near 0.8 in. possible.

Friday
Overcast with a chance of rain in the afternoon. Fog early. High of 48F. Winds from the SSW at 10-25 mph. Chance of rain 50% with rainfall amounts near 0.2 in. possible.

Saturday
Overcast with a chance of rain. High of 46F. Winds from the West at 10-15 mph. Chance of rain 70% with rainfall amounts near 0.5 in. possible.

Sunday
Overcast with a chance of rain. High of 41F. Winds from the NW at 5-10 mph. Chance of rain 70% with rainfall amounts near 0.2 in. possible.

I have been there three times previously and know that weather can blow through quickly - I am hoping this to be the case for me and my buddies.  I was in London last week and checked the forecast while I was there - apparently it was 55 and sunny most of last week!

I packed my waterproofs and plan to wear a combination of Under Armour and Ibex (Merino wools) all week and anticipate just wearing leggings under my rain pants and not even dealing with the off/on rigmarol.  Obviously no umbrella, but I did buy a rain hood for my bag.

I used to wear Footjoy Classics and Icons, but fell in love with Trues last year - I walked/carried 54 at Kingsley last summer and I am not kidding when I tell you my feet felt great at the end of the day...now if I could only say the same for my back!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 11:13:24 PM »
My first pair of TRUEs arrived Wednesday. I promptly played 9 holes in them.

Now I know what all the fuss is about.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 11:22:47 PM »
The forecasters got today right...consistent wind from the south - with rain spitting most of the day.  Pouring right now as I sit in my room at the Lodge...

Right now, the updated forecast looks a little worse than when I posted this yesterday morning - they are calling for gusts up to 70mph with rain totals of an inch.

My TRUEs were great today as usually - I never took them off from 7a until just before dinner tonight at 7p.  Great traction, comfortable, and my feet feel good.

36 holes a day over the next four will be a good test, but I don't expect any issues...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 08:07:28 AM »
The new Trues have a different sole pattern than the older ones. Is the pattern a significant improvement?

I have two pairs of originals and one pair of Stealths.  I haven't noticed any difference, and have never had a waterproof problem.

Also, as some of you know, I had very big toe blister problems starting on a rainy 36-hole day at Dornoch in 2008, and have had no problems since I started wearing Trues.

PCCraig

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2012, 09:02:07 AM »
I ordered my first pair of Trues this past December, but just hit balls in them for the first time last evening. They're pretty comfortable and so far so good. I know my wife is looking forward to the women's version to come out in ~May as she hates traditional spikes and has played in gym shoes since I can remember (and Nike Frees) for the last couple years.
H.P.S.

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2012, 09:40:28 AM »
Reccomendations  for someone who has a metarsalgia?

Bill Hyde

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2012, 09:50:50 AM »
The pro I take lessons from said that Adidas is coming out with a shoe this spring based on the barefoot running shoe concept. He really believes your toes need room in the shoe to improve balance, etc.

John_Cullum

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2012, 10:37:35 AM »
You people are approaching this all wrong and denying yourself one of the greatest joys in life.. I remember back in the day wearing my old leather footjoys with the metal spikes. No matter how the day went, when you took them off and put on the topsiders, it was better than sex
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Jeff Tang

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2012, 10:38:55 AM »
Got the Trues, loved them immediately.  The only part of my game it took some adjustment was with putting!  Anyone else have the same experience?

Ken

Ken, why do you think this is?  Is it because the way the ground feels underneath your feet is different and it takes a while to adjust to the difference in reading the greens with your feet?

So bad it's good!

Jimmy Cavezza

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2012, 11:06:26 AM »
I need to try the barefoot walking shoe.  It makes sense that they would help you maintain your balance.  I've run in the minimalist style running shoe and they definitely help to keep your weight toward the balls of your feet and away from your heels.  This could be good for my golf game!  The thing that worries me about them is the risk of injury.  By changing how your feet work during the swing and while walking you are using different ligaments and muscles in the lower body.  You are stressing body parts that are not use to working and are naturally weaker.  You have to gradually introduce the new stress you are creating to strengthen the joints, ligaments, and muscles.  What are the guidelines for the new style of golf shoes?  Has anyone tweaked anything by doing to much to soon?

Mark Smolens

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2012, 11:39:47 AM »
Arrived at the course yesterday only to discover that all of my Trues were home on the living room floor. Had to wear a pair of Foot Joys that were in the trunk. Will not make that mistake again. Walking a golf course in a pair of Trues is like walking barefoot in the grass.

Ken Fry

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2012, 12:00:29 PM »
Got the Trues, loved them immediately.  The only part of my game it took some adjustment was with putting!  Anyone else have the same experience?

Ken

Ken, why do you think this is?  Is it because the way the ground feels underneath your feet is different and it takes a while to adjust to the difference in reading the greens with your feet?

Wow Jeff, that's a bit esoteric!  Reading the greens with my feet again, huh?

Maybe it's because the heel is the same height as the rest of your foot in Trues and when I'm putting I tend to be more pitched out on the balls of my feet.  I wore them a few times walking Mountain Lake in Florida last month and felt like my toes where propped up above the rest of my foot.  Could be just getting use to the whole concept.  I did feel the same way over some full shots but not enough to be a concern.

I can confidently say these are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn on the golf course.

Ken

Jason Topp

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2012, 04:06:41 PM »
I love the room in the toes with the Trues but have found myself recently returning to my older Footjoys for some arch support.  It could simply be the case that my Trues are worn out - probably 60 plus rounds last year.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2012, 06:52:11 PM »
I have been living in Ecco Streets since Freedy debuted them at the Masters two years ago; I absolutely love them, I even wear them to work. I did by a pair of True Stealths last year; they are indeed different, especially the lack of a heel, they do indeed simulate being barefoot . Although I don't dislike them I do find that my feet are somewhat sore after walking 18 in them. Probably because I'm using a different set of muscle than a shoe with a heel. I don't get that with the Ecco Streets, perhaps it's because I have both narrow and flat feet. Has anyone tried using orthodics in their Trues?  But the Trues  are waterproof which the original Ecco Streets defintely are not.  I now have a pair of Ecco Bioms which have way more arch support than the original streets. I can't say they are dramatically better, just different. They are however guaranteed watrerproof for 2 years. I know this: I look a lot sexier in Eccos than the clown shoes!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 07:00:14 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Matthew Sander

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2012, 07:10:14 PM »
Does anyone have any feedback on the new True PHX model?

Jud_T

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2012, 07:13:41 PM »
Does anyone have any feedback on the new True PHX model?

I just got my son a pair.  He really likes them so far, but they definitely seem to run a half size bigger than the stealth, as they don't have the sock liner.  And really good value for a high end shoe.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

jeffwarne

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2012, 07:15:33 PM »
You people are approaching this all wrong and denying yourself one of the greatest joys in life.. I remember back in the day wearing my old leather footjoys with the metal spikes. No matter how the day went, when you took them off and put on the topsiders, it was better than sex

next they're going to deny us the joy of taking off ski boots.........
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2012, 07:18:26 PM »
In the 70s, I used to play barefoot with a couple of six-inch nails hammered through my feet between the second and third metatarsals. Cheap AND effective! Unfortunately, people see my stigmata now and think maybe I'm the messiah.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tim Martin

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2012, 07:20:41 PM »
In the 70s, I used to play barefoot with a couple of six-inch nails hammered through my feet between the second and third metatarsals. Cheap AND effective! Unfortunately, people see my stigmata now and think maybe I'm the messiah.
F.

;D ;D

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2012, 07:46:09 PM »
Martin,

Remember to avoid walking on water.  The stigmata could cause flotation issues.

Steve Lang

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2012, 07:48:32 PM »
 8) I have the original true, the new phx and the new stealths.. this is like rating courses at Bandon

Stealth, originals, phx

wide toes rule in my book

not great on hard / rocky surfaces / cart paths

sorta like my old moon shoes

we had nike guy at our range the other day and he was hawking their new clubs and shoes.. said the new nike shoe is the most comfortable one they've ever made.. I said bet you can't beat my trues.. he looked at my feet and said "we're coming out with a low profile shoe this summer" .. I said "Good luck"
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

George Freeman

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2012, 07:49:52 PM »
I tried on a pair of Trues at Golfsmith a couple months ago and couldn't get over the feeling that I was going to fall over backwards.  Has anyone else experienced the feeling that the heel is a lot lower than the toe/bridge of the shoe?  It felt like it would be difficult to get on the balls of your feet for a shot?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

David Harshbarger

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
George, that was my feeling, too, but I took the plunge anyway and have been quite happy with my Clown Shoes since then. I hated my old shoes.  I love these.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back