News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Re: Do I need a blazer?
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2012, 01:49:16 PM »
Jaeger,

How can you go wrong wearing a jacket ?

When you need a tux!  :)

Mac,

True story.

I'm leaving my house early one morning, dressed in a business suit and carrying a travel case in one hand and a tux on a hanger in the other..

My wife says to me, "Where are you going with a tux ?"
I say, "Oh, I forgot to tell you, I have the annual membership meeting at GCGC tonight and you need to wear a tux,  and I won't be home for dinner."

To which she says, "Wait a minute.  You're going to an annual membership meeting at a golf club and you need to wear a tux ?"

I say, "yeah"

Now, she's seen me go to dozens of annual membership meetings at clubs wearing golf attire.

She says, "I want you to have a great time, say hello to Paul R, Richie J and Jack A for me.
               Eat well and don't drink to much and one other thing"

I say, "what's that ?"

And she says, " you'd better bring home a lot of pictures because I've got to see that."

Very classy...as always #gcgcrocks

A gentleman should also own his own tux.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 01:52:33 PM by Jay Flemma »
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Bill Seitz

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2012, 02:38:02 PM »
Those ain't Blazers...here is the OG Blazer.....

In more than one sense of the word.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2012, 03:16:30 PM »
Got home this evening and opened an invitation to attend a lucheon in The Old Library, Guildhall.

Dress Code

"Business Suit with Badges"             

?????????????????????????????????
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2012, 03:31:48 PM »
Reminds me of the old line' Badges, we don't need no stinkin badges'.

May i ask what they are??
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2012, 05:56:16 PM »

Ed

I had guessed badges.

http://www.gg.ca/honours/pdf/wearing_e.pdf

Guessed, because I have not earned the right to wear any.

Wiki defines a Business Suit as what I would call a sober Lounge Suit.

You learn something new every day.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 12:30:07 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2012, 09:45:37 PM »
Brian, no problem and I do hope I did not offend you either. I do certainly hope Dismal with the 2nd course does better than the prior years. I am not a Member of any of the clubs in that area. I am not privy to any market research either. I think to figure out what will work and not work is still being understood. Sandhills works. The others have struggled. Lets hope it works out for all and the game.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2012, 10:02:55 PM »
Brian, no problem and I do hope I did not offend you either. I do certainly hope Dismal with the 2nd course does better than the prior years. I am not a Member of any of the clubs in that area. I am not privy to any market research either. I think to figure out what will work and not work is still being understood. Sandhills works. The others have struggled. Lets hope it works out for all and the game.

An apology only Rush Limbaugh could love.  You owe the members of Dismal an apology, not some snot nosed kid who has never been there and doesn't have a clue about how we and our guests conduct ourselves.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2012, 10:16:20 PM »
John,

John Bernhardt does not need you preaching to him and he cannot call you and voice his regret at your post.... because he is learning to speak and eat.

Give him a break.

Bob

JNC Lyon

« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2012, 10:26:32 PM »

Dismal River is struggling? WHO KNEW?!
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Bill_McBride

« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2012, 10:38:32 PM »

An apology only Rush Limbaugh could love.  You owe the members of Dismal an apology, not some snot nosed kid who has never been there and doesn't have a clue about how we and our guests conduct ourselves.

This cracks me up, JK.  You have issued a hundred insincere apologies and attack Tiger for being sincere.   Way to go.   

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2012, 10:40:36 PM »
John,

John Bernhardt does not need you preaching to him and he cannot call you and voice his regret at your post.... because he is learning to speak and eat.

Give him a break.

Bob

Bob,

I was as appalled as anyone when I saw Brian insult your character. I was thrilled to see John come to your defense but saw no reason for Dismal to take the hit. Dismal is a world class facility in every way as anyone who has ever been there can tell you. Sadly, most parties in this discussion have not.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:54:03 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2012, 11:49:06 PM »
John,

I have not been to Dismal, I only wish I could. I have heard it that it is a wonderful place to play and stay. If John said something out of line I know he would be the first person to cry mea culpa.

Thank you for your comment on the earlier matter, it has been resolved with satisfaction on all sides.

I remember well our first meeting at Kings Putter 1, I hope we can have a repeat.

Bob

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2012, 03:43:39 AM »
The most important part of the dress code is what the members feel comfortable with. I remember once going to a normal run of the mill south east London members club one afternoon wearing a jacket over polo and chinos. I walked into the large lounge where one old boy was leant against the bar. I was immediately kicked out for not wearing a tie and sent to the spike bar, this was around 20'x10 and rammed with around 20 guys, I respect dress codes but their members clearly didn't agree with their own rules.
Cave Nil Vino

Chris Johnston

« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2012, 09:59:48 AM »
All:

I'll pitch in here...

We don't require coat and tie on the property.  Never will.  That just isn't us and the folks who have been here understand this.  We also don't allow board shorts tee shirts, and cut offs.  Folks who come here are expected to "get it", and I have never had to have a conversation with a person in two years over attire.  We also expect everyone to be respectful of staff and each other.  Anyone who isn't is asked to leave.  In our relaxed atmoshpere, there is decorum.  For us, a coat and tie doesn't make this so, but peole are more than welcome to wear them.

I wear cargo shorts.  I don't have a problem with them.  Heck, I even wear digital camo cargo shorts.  Then again, We don't have a course rating and I use a belly putter.

wrt "struggling", I'm afraid it's a sign of the times.  Dismal River is a very special place in a very challenging industry where great places are closing every day.  Here, interest and activity is higher than ever.  We are doing just fine and have added some really great people.  We have a really fun and different course and experience.  That is the goal.  Most who don't seem to like Dismal have never been here, or not at least not recently.  I hope they can and do come out.  It's pretty cool. 

I love when a our members come out as most have become pretty good friends.  I also love when a person comes out the first time, the childlike amazement is exhilarating.  There is nothing like the Sand Hills.  I can't wait to meet and spend time with Brian Sheehy, to listen to him after he plays something you just can't get anywhere else.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2012, 10:09:17 AM »

Mac,

True story.

I'm leaving my house early one morning, dressed in a business suit and carrying a travel case in one hand and a tux on a hanger in the other..

My wife says to me, "Where are you going with a tux ?"
I say, "Oh, I forgot to tell you, I have the annual membership meeting at GCGC tonight and you need to wear a tux,  and I won't be home for dinner."

To which she says, "Wait a minute.  You're going to an annual membership meeting at a golf club and you need to wear a tux ?"

I say, "yeah"

I always wondered which clubs Jack Donaghy was a member of in the New York City area... now I know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_P7yWnAAd0
Next!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2012, 10:27:14 AM »
While I don't personally own a pair, my beloved President and always dapper Barack Obama does.  What is the problem with cargo shorts?

http://www.golf.com/photos/president-elect-barack-obama-golfs-hawaii/president-elect-barack-obama-golfing-hawaii

When John F Kennedy stopped wearing hats gentlemen followed.  Perhaps it is time for a change of heart on the cargo short.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2012, 10:48:44 AM »
John

Sunny and in the 70's today.  Golf is on the menu, cargo shorts and all.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2012, 11:02:10 AM »

Ed

I had guessed badges.

http://www.gg.ca/honours/pdf/wearing_e.pdf

Guessed, because I have earned the right to own any.

Wiki defines a Business Suit as what I would call a sober Lounge Suit.

You learn something new every day.

seems you  do learn something new everyday, thanks for the help.

ed
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2012, 11:11:57 AM »
You can never be over dressed at a golf club only under dressed.

A couple of times I've been casual only to be invited to dinner "at my club" and been unable to attend due to lack of coat and tie. Never wear a suit at a golf club it suggests you have to work for a living!

Well, contrary to what Leary says, they can complain a bit at Sagebrush about overdressing. The only requirement there is your SKers.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 11:36:29 AM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2012, 11:26:41 AM »
Forget about golf, why own cargo shorts in the first place?  Are the side pockets needed?  My wallet, keys, and cell phone fit comfortably in the two front pockets of the shorts and pants I wear.  When I'm golfing I slip a few tees and a spare golf ball in there and still have plenty of room left over.

Cargo shorts are for smuggling all kinds of food and drink into a PGA Tour event where they forbid bringing in food and water, because the cheap b******s want to charge you $6 for a bottle of water on a scorchingly hot day.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JC Jones

« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2012, 02:01:42 PM »
Garland,

You're smuggling food and drink into a sporting event and "they" are cheap?

Ben Sims,

Your post is spot on.

CJ,

I didn't see anywhere that you specifically don't allow purple man thongs.  I can't wait to get out there.

Brian Sheehy,

Your outfit at NGLA was ugly.

Eric Smith,

Your head is too big for normal sized hats and I think both the members at CPC and most proper English courses would find it offensive.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2012, 03:28:39 PM »
Garland,

You're smuggling food and drink into a sporting event and "they" are cheap?

Yep, Go figure. They have moola up the ying yang, and they do a Bill Gates, holding up people at the check out line to get his coupons in order.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2012, 05:21:07 PM »

Eric Smith,

Your head is too big for normal sized hats and I think both the members at CPC and most proper English courses would find it offensive.

This is why GCA needs a "Like" button.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2012, 09:23:55 PM »
Thanks for the defense guys. I do not take Barney seriously on these subjects, especially during the winter months. I am sorry to see this is your last term in Congress too. John pretends to live in Indiana, but we know he has represented the good people of Mass in Congress for many years.  Oddly given somehow this got sidetracked on Dismal River and its dress code. I am surprised, given all the Dismal love on here,  a member or two has not chimed in to say this is what our rules are.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2012, 09:37:09 PM »
Tiger

We don't have many rules. 

1.    Act like an adult.
2.    Respect all others.
3.    Respect the course.
4.    No purple man thongs (enacted today). ;)
5.    Have fun.
6.    No swimming.
7.    Don't take yourself too seriously, we aren't curing disease here.
8.    No personal alcohol is permitted to be brought to the property.
9.    We treat you like a guest at our home, please act like a guest at our home.
10.  $5 fine for whining, per event.
11.  If we need to discuss rules, you probably need to go home.

Pretty easy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back