News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Do I need a blazer?
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2012, 08:00:07 PM »
A few years ago a friend and I played Rye.  We had played Royal St. George in the morning and the drive to Rye was dreadfully slow so we arrived a little late.  The Club Secretary was just leaving the club when I spotted him in the parking lot.  He just told me to go in and pay the barman.  I went to the back seat to get my sport coat because I knew the dress code.  He told me to forget it.  So there I went.  Into the clubhouse--well actually into a den of lions, I ventured.  I paid our green fee and went to look at the President's Putter when a man dressed in a maroon velvet smoking jacket went over to the barman and asked who I was dressed in slacks and sweater.  He said, "He is an American."  "I might have known." was his icy retort.

Bring a jacket and tie.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2012, 08:13:12 PM »
Bob,

You are now over the age of 80 and not a member of Cypress point unless I'm mistaken.

What value do you think will be gained in your life by hammering home the point that I may never play there? I am truly fascinated.

Brian,

Bob's extensive experience, presence and influence on the peninsula and elsewhere shouldn't be underestimated.

Bob was trying to tell you that your preference for golf attire would preclude you from being the guest of a member at CPC due to thei dress code at CPC.

I have to be in L.A. on October 27th for a Halloween party and am happy to wear a collared shirt, long pants and traditional golf shoes while playing CPC, MPCC, Pebble Beach and LACC  earlier in the week, thanks to Bob.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2012, 08:23:22 PM »
Brian,

I am quite sure you misinterpreted Bob's post a bit.

I don't know, from my perspective it seemed like Mr. Huntley misinterpreted Brian's post a bit.

Brian, correct me if I'm wrong, but they let you onto the property at NGLA last fall, right?

I think the biggest point we should take from Brian's original post is that Dismal River is just awesome.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Mike Benham

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2012, 08:43:43 PM »

I am truly fascinated.

I agree with Patrick on the intent of Bob's post but only Bob can clarify.

However, you have had the pleasure of playing with Bob, as he hosted you at MPCC, did you play in a t-shirt and cargo shorts?  If not, why not?

I will be truly fascinated to read your reply.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Sean Leary

DI
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2012, 08:46:26 PM »
Brian,

I don't know, from my perspective it seemed like Mr. Huntley misinterpreted Brian's post a bit.

Brian, correct me if I'm wrong, but they let you onto the property at NGLA last fall, right?

I think the biggest point we should take from Brian's original post is that Dismal River is just awesome.

Perhaps he did. I simply read Bob's post as Pat did above.

Dismal River may well be awesome but I don't think it has anything to do with their lack of a dress code.

JNC Lyon

Re: DI
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 09:24:37 PM »
Brian,

Dismal River may well be awesome but I don't think it has anything to do with their lack of a dress code.

IMO the dress code is one part of it.  I like going up to the clubhouse for dinner and drinks in jeans and a button-down.  Just as I liked going to lunch at Swinley Forest in a jacket and tie.  Both dress codes add to a very unique atmosphere at each club.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2012, 09:53:16 PM »
take coat and tie

Sean Leary

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2012, 09:56:49 PM »
Brian,

IMO the dress code is one part of it.  I like going up to the clubhouse for dinner and drinks in jeans and a button-down.  Just as I liked going to lunch at Swinley Forest in a jacket and tie.  Both dress codes add to a very unique atmosphere at each club.

Totally agree. Lots of clubs have similar atmospheres fitting to the type of club that they are. But wearing tee shirt and cargo shorts to a muni doesn't make it awesome.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2012, 09:59:50 PM »
Brian,

Totally agree. Lots of clubs have similar atmospheres fitting to the type of club that they are. But wearing tee shirt and cargo shorts to a muni doesn't make it awesome.

I agree with that.  The point is that Dismal is a pretty phenomenal golf course that has a relaxed, laid-back atmosphere.  It's very different than what I'm used to on the East Coast.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2012, 10:00:23 PM »
Brian in all due respect. That makes playing golf at Dismal about as appealing as a dentist appointment without gas. What Club with any sense of the history of the game would say showing up in T shirt and cargo pants is ok. As noted above that is Muni living which is great if that is what you are looking for. I have noticed a  great deal of Dismal love on here. I certainly hope things work out great there. But this last tidbit of information did nothing to make one say i cannot wait to go there or be a Member. I mean why would someone travel half way across the country to a place which is incredibly hard to get too, pay private club fees and enjoy muni or sub muni atmosphere. In fact I am guessing they have a picture over the fireplace of John Daley mooning the crowd with a tatoo on his arse saying Eat Me.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 10:19:26 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Jason Walker

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2012, 10:29:36 PM »
Forget about golf, why own cargo shorts in the first place?  Are the side pockets needed?  My wallet, keys, and cell phone fit comfortably in the two front pockets of the shorts and pants I wear.  When I'm golfing I slip a few tees and a spare golf ball in there and still have plenty of room left over.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2012, 10:41:51 PM »
Forget about golf, why own cargo shorts in the first place?  Are the side pockets needed?  My wallet, keys, and cell phone fit comfortably in the two front pockets of the shorts and pants I wear.  When I'm golfing I slip a few tees and a spare golf ball in there and still have plenty of room left over.

Thanks Jason, cargo shorts scream hippie, vegan hiker or cargo jorts equal gangbanger or someone who took his cousins virginity in his Z28.

Ben Sims

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2012, 11:17:01 PM »
Why all the hate on here?  Are any of you moderate enough to see two sides of the coin and understand that different situations call for different actions? 

If someone gets an invite to see Cypress Point or anywhere else that exclusive, then you damn well better dress the way a gentleman dresses.  This is hallowed ground and deserves the respect of that history.  If you don't like their dress code, then you're dumb and deserve a swift kick in the ass and should be told by someone of gentlemanly conduct to get over yourself.

If someone gets an invite to Dismal and wears jorts because that's allowed there, then so be it.  It's a bit refreshing to play golf on a vacation and not have to iron your slacks.  If you think this is beneath you and not respectful of the game, then you are a prude and deserve a swift kick in the ass and should be told by someone more down to earth and fun than you to get over yourself. 

Does that about cover it?  Can we agree that one size doesn't fit all?

Jaeger.  Take the blazer, a tie, and some nicely shined wingtips.  No one can fault you if that's what you come to the club in and what you change into afterwards.   

Thread over.  Everybody hug.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 11:22:04 PM »
Ben,

Are you saying that golfers should dress, based upon the lowest common denominator permitted ?

Ben Sims

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 11:54:44 PM »
Ben,

Are you saying that golfers should dress, based upon the lowest common denominator permitted ?

Patrick,

Not at all.  That's not my personal M.O and I would be mindful to be respectful of a host's wishes in that situation.. But if someone wants to wear merely a polo shirt to play golf at Club X, who am I to opine that they should do more?  Opinions on dress are ridiculous when there is an accepted standard.  If the club has a minimum dress, then it should be met with no ambiguity.  If you are compliant with the standard, then why should anyone be met with disdain?  It's simple really.  
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:56:24 PM by Ben Sims »

Eric Smith

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2012, 12:24:08 AM »
In fact I am guessing they have a picture over the fireplace of John Daley mooning the crowd with a tatoo on his arse saying Eat Me.

Seriously, why must you go to the extreme with this? First of all, Brian has never been to Dismal River. Secondly, I am a member and in the 9-10 days and nights I have spent there I have yet to see anyone playing golf in a tee shirt. I don't know if I've seen folks wearing cargo shorts because I guess I don't look that hard. Lastly, I haven't had the club's dress policy shared with me. I honestly don't know if we have one. It's hot out there so I play wearing a golf shirt and shorts. When playing in shorts I wear golf shoes that sort of look like sneakers. But not really. They look more like clown shoes. But damn they are comfortable.

No pictures of Daly at Dismal. There is a picture of Jack.

Please come visit anytime, Tiger.

Josh Stevens

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2012, 12:31:55 AM »
BTW - in the UK it is called a Jacket.  a blazer is something you wear on a boat.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2012, 12:32:29 AM »
BTW - in the UK it is called a Jacket.  a blazer is something you wear on a boat.

Why would you wear a blazer on a boat?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2012, 01:15:20 AM »
Sam that is a whole new post!!
Cave Nil Vino

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2012, 03:51:35 AM »

Sam

Its the same reason some walking and some ride - its the right thing to do, but riding weakens ones resolve to maintain standards. ;)

Josh Stevens

« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2012, 04:51:44 AM »
Check wikipedia.  The term started from an Oxford Rowing club who created striped jackets for themselves in the early 19th century.  The rowers were referred to as blazers because of the big striped blaze across their jacket.  THen there is the other defintion of striped jackets on the HMS Blazer a few years later.

These days a blazer is a slightly casual, and often quite outlandishly coloured jacket worn by Sailers, Rowers, Cricketers, tennis players etc, plus the military and schools.  Logos and shiny buttons are common.

Not common in Golf however, at least not in the UK.  Lower end clubs may have them, but generally regarded as terribly naff at the top end.  The president may have one for special occiasions, but generally a striped club tie and nice tweed jacket is considered more appropriate.

Josh Stevens

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2012, 05:18:20 AM »
Or the red trousers up the road at Sandwich.  I said not common, not non-existent.  Outlandishly coloured striped blazers are ok, thats nicely eccentric - the whackier the better.  Dark blue with brass buttons and logo is a different matter.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2012, 06:59:44 AM »
The dark green blazer is a disaster darling.

I remember once at about 6am walking along the members queue at Lords before a test match with one of my sergeants. We'd stopped and talked to a few golf club members and my sergeant eventually said "just one question sir, why do all of your friends wear pink or bright red trousers?"
Cave Nil Vino

Josh Stevens

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2012, 07:23:51 AM »
Yes, the Egg and Bacon blazer

Kalen Braley

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2012, 01:18:45 PM »
Those ain't Blazers...here is the OG Blazer.....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back