News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jaeger Kovich

Do I need a blazer?
« on: March 03, 2012, 09:13:03 PM »
Headed to London tomorrow evening to play some golf in the heathlands and on the coast. Can someone please translate what smart casual dress in British clubhouses means, and explain the dress code protocol is for the young American traveling?! ... Do I need to bring a jacket and/or tie?

Ed Brzezowski

Re: Do I need a blazer?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 09:18:53 PM »
Blazer is a must have over there, tie a real plus . Plus you look snappy.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 09:53:28 PM »
Blazer is a must have over there, tie a real plus . Plus you look snappy.

For those going to The King's Putter, Sagebrush is one place where a blazer and tie is appropriate as well...

John Shimony

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 10:32:35 PM »
Jaeger,
Every young gentleman must travel with a jacket or blazer.  I hope all is well and happy travels. 
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 10:54:36 PM »
Jaeger, some clubs will require them, others won't.

Swinley, for instance is jacket mandatory, tie optional.

Deal is golf shirts in the main bar, jacket and tie in the lounge and dining room.

In many, a post round beer, sandwich etc can be had in golf clothes, but  proper dining means jacket and tie.

Also worth considering is clubs requiring "long hose" (ie. knee-socks) to be worm with shorts.

Ross Harmon

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 10:56:04 PM »
Granted it wasn't at a course in London, but at a private social club. I arrived in a suit and tie to find out that night tuxedo was required in the dining room. I had to eat in the bar. The English are serious with their dress!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 11:18:29 PM »
Jaeger,

How can you go wrong wearing a jacket ?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 12:15:52 AM »
Jaeger,

When you need a tux!  :)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 12:42:56 AM »
Jaeger,

When you need a tux!  :)

Mac,

True story.

I'm leaving my house early one morning, dressed in a business suit and carrying a travel case in one hand and a tux on a hanger in the other..

My wife says to me, "Where are you going with a tux ?"
I say, "Oh, I forgot to tell you, I have the annual membership meeting at GCGC tonight and you need to wear a tux,  and I won't be home for dinner."

To which she says, "Wait a minute.  You're going to an annual membership meeting at a golf club and you need to wear a tux ?"

I say, "yeah"

Now, she's seen me go to dozens of annual membership meetings at clubs wearing golf attire.

She says, "I want you to have a great time, say hello to Paul R, Richie J and Jack A for me.
               Eat well and don't drink to much and one other thing"

I say, "what's that ?"

And she says, " you'd better bring home a lot of pictures because I've got to see that."

Mark Pearce

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 03:04:31 AM »
Smart casual does not mean a jacket.  You'll be fine with a decent pair of trousers and a shirt (even a golf shirt) with a collar.  No need for jacket and tie when the code is smart casual.  Most clubs that do require jacket and tie (and not many do any more, except in dining rooms or after a certain time in the evening) are pretty explicit on their websites.  If you aren't planning on lunch or dinner at the club then very few still require jackets.  Swindled would be one, HCEG another.  Around London Swinley may be the only one, though most of the other top clubs might require a jacket if you are going to eat.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 04:09:19 AM »
Granted it wasn't at a course in London, but at a private social club. I arrived in a suit and tie to find out that night tuxedo was required in the dining room. I had to eat in the bar. The English are serious with their dress!

Ross you have me a little confused here.  Does 'social club' mean non golf club?  It sounds like they had a special function on, similar to Mucci's story below, in which case you wouldn’t have had an invite?  Or you were invited and your host neglected to tell you the dress code for that evening?  I’ve never heard of a Club where Black Tie was the standard dress code for all occasions. 

Jaeger, unless you have been invited to dine I can't see you'll need a Jacket and Tie.  If playing with members it might not be a bad idea as a precaution.  IN a number of cases some areas of a clubhouse can only be accessed with the correct attire, and if you want to check out all the trophy cabinets and history you might need one.  In 99% of Clubs its safe to say you won’t starve or die of thirst without them.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 04:31:06 AM »
Good rule of thumb to always have a formal outfit while travelling.
Travelling to the USA sees me pack a suit and tie, just to be on the safe aside.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 06:27:51 AM »
You can never be over dressed at a golf club only under dressed.

A couple of times I've been casual only to be invited to dinner "at my club" and been unable to attend due to lack of coat and tie. Never wear a suit at a golf club it suggests you have to work for a living!
Cave Nil Vino

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 09:04:23 AM »
thank you GENTLEMEN!... Blazer and tie are packed.

I have no problem with coat and tie... wore one to school for 6 years when I was in grade school. I'm just more used to boots and gor-tex, or changing my shoes in the staff parking lot :o

Andy Stamm

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 09:12:00 AM »
I'm very much a traditionalist, love 2 ball clubs, lunches, the boozing, smart attire after etc.,  but the day these  long hose short pants are done away with will be a good day for golf in England.

They look utterly ridiculous. The older the gentleman, the more absurd they look. We are playing golf, not bloody rugby!!

Hear, hear.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 09:34:22 AM »
Jaeger,
If you ever come to New Mexico, make sure to bring jeans for dinner! Even wearing normal golf attire at most restaurants would probably make you look overdressed!  :D

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 10:07:36 AM »
One thing I will never understand is golf and its need for a dress code whether in the clubhouse or on the course?

Have I ever been offended by something that someone was wearing walking down the street? No, so why would this suddenly happen at the golf course?

If anything the golf club is one place the fashion is so bad it is bordering on embarrassing if not offensive. And I am not even a fashionable chap.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 11:42:34 AM »
One thing I will never understand is golf and its need for a dress code whether in the clubhouse or on the course?

Have I ever been offended by something that someone was wearing walking down the street? No, so why would this suddenly happen at the golf course?

If anything the golf club is one place the fashion is so bad it is bordering on embarrassing if not offensive. And I am not even a fashionable chap.

Ross, he's going to the UK where the mores are different!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 02:14:42 PM »
I actually can't wait to go to Dismal this summer - I am playing in a round collar t shirt, cargo shorts and a pair of sneakers!!

Brian,

You can cross Cypress Point off your list if you are looking to have a drink, lunch and play with a member.

Bob

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 02:17:30 PM »
Bill I'm the poorest "more" you'll ever meet, but I'd never turn up at a golf club wearing clothing more suitable for driving a taxi or heavy horticultural work.

As for long socks I've tried and failed to get that rule changed at Deal.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:19:50 PM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

Simon Holt

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 02:42:20 PM »
One of my more embarrassing, for the right reason, moments came last year in the R&A.  I had played in a SUGS match against the University and had obviously donned the jacket and tie for lunch.  Post the afternoon round we had more drinks in the Big Room, after which I had to head off to a ball, fortunately also held in St. Andrews.

I asked my playing partner (R&A member) if I could pop my penguin suit on rather than change into J+T and then change again.  He suggested that he couldn't think of anything more befitting the Big Room than dinner jacket and bow tie.  I received a short burst of applause when I came into the room (which he had set up) much to my embarrassment but the general amusement of everyone else.

A few kummels for the road and Cinderella went to the ball.
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 04:20:27 PM »
Simon quirk is usually received well at clubs, I think that's why the Deal jackets always appear to go down well away from home.

One of my mates always wears tweed and appears like he is off for a good days hunting, not everyone could carry off the look but he always looks like a well turned out squire.
Cave Nil Vino

Sean Leary

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 04:32:35 PM »
Brian,

I am quite sure you misinterpreted Bob's post a bit.

Ben Sims

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 06:13:08 PM »
Always better to be over dressed than under if in doubt.  However, I've never played golf with anyone at a private club that was offended by me asking what to wear.  So, just call the club secretary and ask!

Tim Martin

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 06:24:02 PM »
Bill I'm the poorest "more" you'll ever meet, but I'd never turn up at a golf club wearing clothing more suitable for driving a taxi or heavy horticultural work.

As for long socks I've tried and failed to get that rule changed at Deal.

I can`t imagine wearing the long socks but I guess it`s a cultural thing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back