News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

Palma Ceia - Tampa, FL
« on: February 27, 2012, 11:10:09 AM »
In the most recent issue of Global Golf Post (http://www.globalgolfpost.com/opinion/local-color-abounds-at-gasparilla/) there's an article discussing the Gasparilla Invitational held at Palma Ceia.  While I've heard of the course/club, there's not much insight into it, and it looks like Bobby Weed has done a significant redo/restoration here.

Has anyone played it?  Before and After the work?

WW

jeffwarne

Re: Palma Ceia - Tampa, FL
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 11:29:38 AM »
Good golf course-played it about 3 years ago
Overseeded in winter and in good condiition.
mature look and feel-unusual in Florida.
Excelent and accomodating staff-allowed our group to play on a busy double shotgun day.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 12:18:00 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 11:40:16 AM »
Jeff -

Thanks for the insight.  Sounds like a neat place and an interesting course.  Anybody know when Weed completed his work? 

WW

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 12:16:20 PM »
Funny, I just finished playing in the Gasparilla and was going to do a quick write up.  The renovation was done in a couple of stages but a majority of the work was done over the summer.   The new greens were installed immediately at the completion of the '11 event.  They had to use a bit of caution on the speeds this year as they are still very new.  That said, they were rolling in the 9-10 range and were quite firm.  As you can tell from the scores http://gasparillainvitational.blogspot.com/p/past-champions.html for a short golf course (6,211 yards, par 70), Palma Ceia still has some teeth.  The main defense are tabletop greens that reject poorly struck iron shots.  The 18th hole now has  a very cool new centerline bunker at the 270 yard landing spot.  It makes longer hitters consider taking less club off the tee in the hopes of reaching the 472 yard par-5 in two.  However, the idea of approaching this final hole flanked by water right and OB left with a longer club, has a number of players challenging this well positioned hazard.   

The Gasparilla Golf Tournament is a wonderful amateur event that really showcases the history of this club.  I would highly suggest to anyone looking at playing in a top amateur event, entertain the idea of entering The Gasparilla.   

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 03:36:06 PM »
Funny, I just finished playing in the Gasparilla and was going to do a quick write up. 

Did you recapture your glory from Iowa?

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 04:20:50 PM »
Funny, I just finished playing in the Gasparilla and was going to do a quick write up.

Round 1: Kind of.
Round 2: NO!
Round 3: A Little.

77 (with a nine on the par 5 discussed above)
77 (with two hours of sleep)

Jason Topp

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 04:43:29 PM »

Round 1: Kind of.
Round 2: NO!
Round 3: A Little.

77 (with a nine on the par 5 discussed above)
77 (with two hours of sleep)

That is a solid example of Sandbagging!  Did you get a 5th Flight trophy?

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 04:43:50 PM »
Found this thread somewhat topical as Doug Lacrosse won this event.  He turned pro in '01 and had career earnings of $120,138.  

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,20.0.html

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 05:07:47 PM »
Found this thread somewhat topical as Doug Lacrosse won this event.  He turned pro in '01 and had career earnings of $120,138.  

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,20.0.html

That was an interesting thread.
Interesting that Dillard Pruit could be compared to a Club Pro seeking reinstatement.
Successfully PLAYING for a living is quite different than running a club.
The USGA dropped the ball on Dillard Pruitt-doesn't matter how little you're practicing, his experience will always be something other amateurs won't have.

So what are your stances on pros (Club Pros or playing pros-or former of either) playing in club championships where they are dues paying members?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 08:14:05 AM »
Jeff,

It's a curious issue.  99% of the Club Pro's I know have shells of their former games.  They are too busy dealing with idiots like me complaining about a bad hole location on 16, an overcooked cheeseburger last Saturday, the course being too wet, etc... ;) to work on their craft.  The last thing they want to do after arriving at the shop at 5AM is to go work on their short game as the sun is setting. 

I suppose if you have regained your amateur status through the USGA, you're OK in my book.  Do I like it? No, but I'm not going to withdraw from a tournament if a former professional is playing.   

Heck, what's an amateur tournament anyway?  How many clubs have Invitationals/Member Members that run a Calcutta or pari-mutuel betting?  Certainly the USGA can take away an individuals amateur status if the numbers in these type of events are large enough. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back