News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Re: "I am doing this to save Scotland."
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 04:26:12 AM »
Interesting quote in there

But Jonathan Hughes director of conservation at the Scottish Wildlife Trust said politicians shouldn't have been surprised.

He added: "Bend the planning rules for a man like Donald Trump once and he'll expect you to do it everytime he asks."

Mr Hughes criticised politicians across the political spectrum, adding: "They were naive at best, and derelict in their duties at worst, when they forced through the extraordinary planning application for a needless golf course at Menie Links, thereby destroying a unique, protected coastal dune system and wrecking many local residents' lives."

Jon

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 08:23:03 AM »
Jon- What would you expect him to say, given who signs his paycheck?

And in the end, the Don will likely get what he wants.

Personalities aside, in ten years, if two world class golf courses are built with a nice hotel resort and some upscale, tasteful houses sprinkled in...establishing the Aberdeen area as an absulute must for golf travelers...adding another impressive jewel in Scotland's Golf Crown and boosting tourism nationwide..while still allowing scientists to study sand shifting there and further up the coast...wouldn't that be an acceptable outcome for just about everyone involved?

Niall C

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 08:51:24 AM »
Chris

In what way does working for an organsation dedicated to protecting wildlife make his observations invalid ? This guy is likely engaged with the planning system in Scotland on a regular basis. I suspect he knows the issues a good bit better than you do, and sorry if that sounds condescending. But at least in fucking up a rare habitat we've given you another place to play golf, well worthwhile then (that last comment was sarcasm if you hadn't noted).

Niall

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 09:26:04 AM »
Niall,

I never said his observations were invalid. I implied they were predictable and completely biased based on what he does for a living, who he works for and his apparent political beliefs. I suspect he knows a great deal more about the local issues than I do...but that's not really the point is it? He has much more of an agenda and personal interest in the outcome than I do.

Instead of sensational and emotional comments like-"effing up a rare habitat"- the consequence of which no one has yet to realistically articulate (if they had the plan most likely would have been declined)- can you please answer the question at the end of my previous post?

Michael George

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2012, 09:42:06 AM »

I am not a fan of the Donald and hate his approach to the construction of golf courses.  However, taking personal feelings aside, do you want wind turbines up and down the Scottish coast?  There are not many things as naturally beautiful as a coastline and wind turbines certainly are an artificial hinderance to such beauty.  I certainly would not have enjoyed looking at turbines off Bandon Dunes or Pebble Beach.

Again, not trying to be supportive of the Donald, but what is everyone's opinion solely on the issue at hand (not the personalities)?
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Niall C

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
Chris

To answer your question in your second last post, the answer is yes, in the same way if I was taller, better looking and had a decent line in chat I would pull more women but frankly why indulge in wishful thinking.

Niall

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2012, 10:06:52 AM »
You know I really love the windmill at NGLA. Played the European Club and wind turbines are visible there.

Certainly beats the smoking sugar cane plant at Casa de Campo.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2012, 10:14:02 AM »
Niall,

I'm pulling for you too!

jeffwarne

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2012, 10:49:12 AM »

I am not a fan of the Donald and hate his approach to the construction of golf courses.  However, taking personal feelings aside, do you want wind turbines up and down the Scottish coast?  There are not many things as naturally beautiful as a coastline and wind turbines certainly are an artificial hinderance to such beauty.  I certainly would not have enjoyed looking at turbines off Bandon Dunes or Pebble Beach.

Again, not trying to be supportive of the Donald, but what is everyone's opinion solely on the issue at hand (not the personalities)?

IF(and I realize it's a big if) wind was determined to be sustainable source of energy, would wind turbines off the Bandon coast deter you from returning?

And BTW, my issues with the Donald's project in Scotland are based SOLELY on the personality.
He's a black eye of the face of America and golf.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jud_T

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2012, 10:58:06 AM »
OK,  for those who have attitude about all things Trump, myself included, how good will this course have to be for you to play it either 1) at all or 2) on every trip to the region?  
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2012, 01:47:02 PM »

IF(and I realize it's a big if) wind was determined to be sustainable source of energy, would wind turbines off the Bandon coast deter you from returning?

[/quote]

No but, as I've said before, it would stop me buying a luxury home with that view.   

Even Trumps supporters should see how he's prepared to let Golf's take all the knocks, as he tries to push through a massive econmomic development.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2012, 02:15:15 PM »
Jon- What would you expect him to say, given who signs his paycheck?

And in the end, the Don will likely get what he wants.

Personalities aside, in ten years, if two world class golf courses are built with a nice hotel resort and some upscale, tasteful houses sprinkled in...establishing the Aberdeen area as an absulute must for golf travelers...adding another impressive jewel in Scotland's Golf Crown and boosting tourism nationwide..while still allowing scientists to study sand shifting there and further up the coast...wouldn't that be an acceptable outcome for just about everyone involved?

Chris, Why do you think that his opinion is something that can be bought. Do you know him to be accusing him of this?

The wind turbines have been in the pipelines for the last 10 years and Mr. Trump will have known that when he applied to build. Now he should just put up and shut up.

Jon

Sean_A

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2012, 04:12:58 AM »
Politicians and Enviros should refrain from battling Trump in the press.  Using the press is how Trump attacks all his sticky wickets and he is an expert at it.  Trying to go toe to toe with him is seriously stupid.  He has nothing to lose in these battles (except possibly yet another development which ain't much when you consider hos portfolio).  Salmond should most especially stand clear.  He has already been duped once and now Trump is trying to hang the entire success of his project on the turbines - instead of getting on with the promises he made concerning his development.  Salmond should keep his mouth shut and try letting Trump hang himself with his mouth. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2012, 08:50:29 AM »

Sean

What wise words if only…   ‘Salmond should keep his mouth shut’

Perhaps Salmond should look to the game of golf as his path forward   -  no, what am I saying, island greens, shallow bunkers, drives that fly over the great creations of man (that’s golf courses for the uninformed), no golf too has lost its way like the SNP..

Scottish pride has been there all the time. It just required half the Nation to sober up and stop thinking how hard done by we are, when the truth is the total opposite. Scotland has the best of both worlds, watch while Salmond does his impersonation of Nero, but this time it will be Scotland that is burning.

PS I sometime wonder if Salmond is a fully paid up members of the modern golf design movement?

Jud_T

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
Once again bumbling politicians.  If they had any sense they would have laid low until Trump was all in before throwing up the wind farm.  That would have been a win-win.  Now either Donny has an excuse to pull or the wind farm gets the bum's rush...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Pearce

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2012, 09:16:48 AM »
no golf too has lost its way like the SNP..
Melvyn,

Do you believe then that there was a point in time where the SNP knew its way?  If so, how has policy changed to lose its way, and when did that occur?  As a father of three boys eligible to play rugby for Scotland I'm genuinely interested in the debate.  Interestingly, I'm yet to come across a Scotsman who is in favour of independence, where are they all?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2012, 10:26:27 AM »

Mark

The SNP lost its way as soon as it was formed.

Scotland has never lagged behind England. Our monarchy is based upon the Scottish Stuart line.
Our people had more than an equal opportunity to those in the rest of GB.
If there is something wrong its these bottom feeders who prey upon the desires of those unwilling to go get it for themselves festering at home jealous of anyone who has achieved anything upon their own merits.
Labour has long encouraged this culture which has resulted in poor living standard while encouraging their supporters to pursue the culture of envy leaving the door open for the SNP. This was not the case at the turn of the 20th Century, perhaps with the exception of parts of Glasgow

I had a deep conversation a while ago with an senior SNP Member when I visited Crieff G C . The outcome which left me totally shocked but which I now full understand. The SNP is or was advocating that only Scots living in Scotland will have the right to vote in the forthcoming referendum.  Live outside Scotland, even if you are entitled to serve any of the future Scottish military organisations (Army, Air force or Navy – well that is if Scotland can afford them) or even represent Scotland in sport due to one of your parents or grandparents being Scottish, will not qualify to vote. If this is maintained I smell some very rotten fish, with the deck being stacked in what the SNP believe to be their favour.

So Mark, your sons may not be entitled to vote (if of age) or perhaps represent Scotland in any future way.

Actually I am wondering if The R&A are behind the SNP way of thinking. ;)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2012, 04:24:18 PM »

Michael George

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2012, 04:31:30 PM »
OK,  for those who have attitude about all things Trump, myself included, how good will this course have to be for you to play it either 1) at all or 2) on every trip to the region?  

Jud- as much as I hate the Donald, from the pictures that I have seen, I will include it in my trip in 2013.  My love for good golf is greater than my dislike for Donald.

This is all assuming that the golf is as good as the pictures.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2012, 05:15:55 PM »

Michael

That is a massive leap of faith aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........

Michael George

« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2012, 05:23:15 PM »

Melvyn - You may not like him, but the pictures are awesome.  If anyone disagrees with that, they are not being honest about it.  Now, pictures don't make a golf course and is a leap - but not a big one.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2012, 05:51:25 PM »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2012, 10:45:19 PM »
Once again bumbling politicians.  If they had any sense they would have laid low until Trump was all in before throwing up the wind farm.  That would have been a win-win.  Now either Donny has an excuse to pull or the wind farm gets the bum's rush...

As we have learned from a thread by the intrepid David Trepper, the wind farm was scheduled and in progress before Trump entered the picture. It is Trump that is the bumbler, but then we knew that before.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Niall C

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2012, 02:45:07 PM »
Garland

Not only did Trump know about the wind farm but he objected to it then as well. In fact he threatened not to proceed if the wind farm went ahead. Either that or he threatened to go to Ireland, one of the two. (so many threats, its hard to keep track !)

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back