News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Rogers

16th at TPC Scottsdale .... growing the game?
« on: February 04, 2012, 05:12:52 PM »
Does turning Golf into just another spectator sport with all its trappings (?) represent what growing the game is about?

As far as CBS is concerned, probably so.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 05:56:08 PM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Mark Johnson

Re: 16th at TPC Sottsdale .... growing the game?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 05:42:16 PM »
I can name ten people who went to the driving range for the first time after spending an afternoon there.  About half ending being a sporadic golfer.

Say what you will about the 16th hole at TPC Scottsdale (or at Warwick Hills during the old Buick open), but the crowd's ettique was actually quite good.   They were quiet when golfers wear hitting unless they egged them on.

One more thing about the Waste Open...   What the organizers have done there creating an after party during the night and some very family friendly attractions do a great job turning this from a tournament to an event.  (on a related note, I think the LPGA has a TON to learn here)    If ever tour event was run as well as this week's event, golf would be significantly more popular.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 05:44:03 PM by Mark Johnson »

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 05:44:48 PM »
For this tournament it's OK.  I hope others don't follow suit but it's just a matter of time.

Did you hear the money generated by this hole?  First, I guess there are very few general admission tickets left for this hole.  It's now all corporate boxes.  I hope I'm correct but this hole generates around $6 million in revenue for the Thunderbirds.  The pros are aware of this contribution.

Carl Rogers

Re: 16th at TPC Scottsdale .... growing the game?
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 05:58:31 PM »
OK gentlemen ... maybe you are right, the game needs the big tent.l
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 06:28:29 PM »
For this tournament it's OK.  I hope others don't follow suit but it's just a matter of time.

Did you hear the money generated by this hole?  First, I guess there are very few general admission tickets left for this hole.  It's now all corporate boxes.  I hope I'm correct but this hole generates around $6 million in revenue for the Thunderbirds.  The pros are aware of this contribution.

I'm enjoying watching them "grow the score" on 17.
Can someone explain to Ian Baker Finch that driving it out of position should/could be a penalty?
Back pin?
Hit something short and straight -or hit a better pitch when playing safe
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 07:14:46 PM »
In the end, if it's earning money for a worthy charity and gets a few thousand non Golfers to become interested enough to pick up a club then it's all good :)
H.P.S.

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 07:28:40 PM »
I think the hole is fantastic. Golf is not meant to be played in a vacuum, I don't want every hole on tour to be like this but one every couple of tournaments would be great. I've never heard the need to bring the "roars back to TPC Scottsdale", this tournament just gets it. I like that these guys get up and just swing despite the crowd noise, unlike the hacks I play with that think they are tour pro and back off every shot because of the faint echos of a leaf blower 3 holes over. This holes is the closest thing we have to a Ryder Cup atmosphere on tour, who doesn't love that?
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Jason Topp

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 01:51:39 AM »
I spent an hour and a half behind the 16th tee on Sunday of the first Phoenix Open held there (1987).  It was a good spot to watch 13, 15 and 16.  Paul Azinger sank a long putt on 15 and I followed him into the clubhouse to his first victory.  I had never heard of him.

I think my friend and I were the only people camped out at that spot.  After the tournament we watched the Super Bowl on a TV someone put in the back of a pickup. 

Do they still wildly inflate attendance figures for that event?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 10:37:48 AM »
Record one day attendance yesterday of 173,00. This venue can handle it.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jason Topp

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 03:08:39 PM »
Record one day attendance yesterday of 173,00. This venue can handle it.

I would like to see how they count it.  At one time they had a formula based on the number of cars in the lot that was silly - they assumed something like four spectators for every car.  I do not know whether or not they still do that but who would know whether or not there are 80,000 people or 170,000 based on the eye.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 04:06:56 PM »
Every ticket has a barcode gets scanned at an entrance.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tim Bert

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 05:01:39 PM »
I know it is bad form on my part, but I must say the boo's for very poorly struck shot are a bit refreshing.

On a related note, going to be interesting to watch Kyle Stanley down the stretch.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 05:14:02 PM »
It is different

Anthony Gray

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 05:15:57 PM »
In the end, if it's earning money for a worthy charity and gets a few thousand non Golfers to become interested enough to pick up a club then it's all good :)

+1

Anthony

Sam Morrow

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 09:42:46 PM »
I think the hole is great it promotes the game as fun. Without holes like that the game is going to die. It's not like there is a hole like it every week, this is awesome.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 12:40:55 PM »
Hmmmm....looks like Melyvn hasn't chimed in yet....I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate he thinks its "for the good of the game".

Ironically enough though, put me in the group that thinks the whole 16th has jumped the shark.  It started out organically, a group of local rowdy guys, having some fun.  Now its turned into a corporate suck-up spot with actual stadium seating and what it was, is no more.

Get rid of the corporate tents and scaffolding and let it evolve back into what it was.....

Sam Morrow

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 12:44:12 PM »
Hmmmm....looks like Melyvn hasn't chimed in yet....I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate he thinks its "for the good of the game".

Ironically enough though, put me in the group that thinks the whole 16th has jumped the shark.  It started out organically, a group of local rowdy guys, having some fun.  Now its turned into a corporate suck-up spot with actual stadium seating and what it was, is no more.

Get rid of the corporate tents and scaffolding and let it evolve back into what it was.....

I would be okay with that, I just want to make sure the hole continues to be a spectacle.

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 12:52:38 PM »
I think the hole is great it promotes the game as fun. Without holes like that the game is going to die. It's not like there is a hole like it every week, this is awesome.

Sam,
I think it's a cool event.
I enjoy watching the spectacle and think Bubba/Crane's antics were humorous.
It looked to all be in good fun.
Copuld it stimulate some to start the game?
perhaps.

But to say "without holes like that the game is going to die" is just silly.
The game's not dying, just several thousand poorly executed excuses to sell homes.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sam Morrow

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 12:56:01 PM »

Sam,
Copuld it stimulate some to start the game?
perhaps.

The game's not dying, just several thousand poorly executed excuses to sell homes.

You don't think holes like this help grow the game?

jeffwarne

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 02:49:50 PM »

Sam,
Could it stimulate some to start the game?
perhaps.

It sounds a bit desperate to say "without holes like that the game is going to die"
Surely golf could soldier on if for some reason this event was changed?
Golf should stop trying to "change" and simply focus on all that's good in the game.
the more it tries to becomes like other sports, the less it loses its' unique appeal to  me.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 08:59:50 PM »

Sam,
perhaps.

It sounds a bit desperate to say "without holes like that the game is going to die"
Golf should stop trying to "change" and simply focus on all that's good in the game.
the more it tries to becomes like other sports, the less it loses its' unique appeal to  me.

Jeff,

Like has been said many time on this site, the game already appeals to the members of this site, the game has to market itself to the great unwashed.

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 10:31:41 PM »

Sam,
perhaps.

Jeff,

Like has been said many time on this site, the game already appeals to the members of this site, the game has to market itself to the great unwashed.

There are plenty of "washed" who could take up the game ;D ;D
Look I'm not bashing 16 or the show-it looks cool and fun.

I'm just OK with much of the population not being drawn to the game, and frankly I don't believe golf should lower its' bar to include those who don't find it appealing.,but should bend over backwards to include those who do.
You can play 18 holes here, in The Hamptons for $16(It's $55 an hour for a bowling lane), so let's not say it's not affordable.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 10:54:08 PM »
$55 for a lane at the alley?

jeffwarne

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 11:20:08 PM »

$55 per lane per hour  + shoe rental

the $16 golf is an all day rate BTW

So I'm looking to shrink the game of bowling as well ;)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:22:47 PM by jeffwarne »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 11:39:23 PM »

$55 per lane per hour  + shoe rental

the $16 golf is an all day rate BTW

So I'm looking to shrink the game of bowling as well ;)

It's like $3 an hour at the alley by my house and I still only go once a year.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back