News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wyatt Halliday

« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 12:07:37 AM by Wyatt Halliday »

Sean Leary

Re: Fire Away
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 11:28:55 PM »
Kingsley made it so what is everyone going to complain about.... ;)

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 11:29:30 PM »
Amazing to see Prairie Club (Dunes) crack a top-100.  I am sure it will be the first of many..

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 11:32:10 PM »
30-50 is probably the most interesting stretch of the list.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 11:38:26 PM »
Mark
Why do you say amazing about Prairie Club Dunes?
Wasn't it too new for the other lists?
4.8 doesn't seem like a score that will propel it to new heights.
Cheers

I don't know the difference between any of them anymore.
Didn't another major publication recently come out with one?
What would happen if someone took the top 10 lists and compiled an ordinal result - like the PGA tour driving category or statistical leader?
With that data you could list the lists too....

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 11:39:25 PM »
Amazing to see Prairie Club (Dunes) crack a top-100.  I am sure it will be the first of many..

I saw that and thought of you right away!!

Nice call!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 11:40:02 PM »
Interesting list, Aronimink at 95?

Ben Sims

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 11:48:07 PM »
Miss you brother Wyatt.  Here's to hoping that nat'l signing day was good for you and Mr. Bernhardt.

I see Olympic a bit high, Plainfield a bit low.  It actually looks like a well orchestrated composite list of what the magazines (GW, GD, Golf) are getting right.

However, the older I get, the less I care about what people think on golf courses in regards to ranking them.  I know what I like.  I don't mind telling people.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 11:57:16 PM »
Mark
Why do you say amazing about Prairie Club Dunes?
Wasn't it too new for the other lists?
4.8 doesn't seem like a score that will propel it to new heights.
Cheers

Mike,

It was eligible for GW's modern list, but failed to make the top-100 (I think it was 116).

I don't know what the numbers mean, perhaps someone could explain.  Whatever the number means, though, it beat out about 17000 courses to land in the 100 spot.

I should add that I think it is phenomenal.  Having played 8 of the top 10 modern, I am comfortable saying it belongs in the top 10.  Time will tell if the masses (well, I guess I mean raters) agree with me.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:59:46 PM by Mark Saltzman »

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 12:03:07 AM »
You are correct - beating out 17,000 is a big deal
Glad you enjoyed it as much as you did
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 12:06:34 AM »
Right back at you you Captain.

Congrats on the incoming class. We missed out on the top 4 in our state but hey, Mo Claiborne is going Top 10 in the draft and he was no more than a 3star. As was Blue, Cutrera, Riley, Shepard and Hester.

As for not jacking my own thread, I'm surprised W-Straits is a common thread on most lists. I wonder what Tim Bert thinks  ;)

Kevin Pallier

Re: Fire Away - Links Magazine Top 100
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 02:47:57 AM »
Pebble Beach not in the Top10 in the US or World lists - how sacrilegious !! 

Maybe my votes helped  :P

Mark_F

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 03:33:35 AM »
Pebble Beach not in the Top10 in the US or World lists - how sacrilegious !! 

Maybe my votes helped  :P

Kevin,

Your effort to get Kingston Heath up to 21 is much more impressive.  ;D

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 04:28:02 AM »

I don't know the difference between any of them anymore.
Didn't another major publication recently come out with one?
What would happen if someone took the top 10 lists and compiled an ordinal result - like the PGA tour driving category or statistical leader?
With that data you could list the lists too....

Mike, I think there is a website that does that. I think it is this site;

www.top100golfcourses.co.uk

regards,

Scott

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 06:53:43 AM »

I think this is due to Tom Dunne (GCA poster)  in a very positive way. When I got the email from Tom inviting me to cast my vote, I told him I was probably too East Coast biased as I don't travel as much as many others here who probably are Platinum flyers at American Airlines.

He assured me that he wanted my opinion as I seek out some quirky courses that many do not. See Rutland CC (VT). Now is Rutland "better" than Eastward Ho! or The Creek near the bottom of the list? No. Is Rutland better or more fun to play that Aronimink?  Is Yale better or more fun to play that Winged Foot West ?  No and yes, and this is why the list is interesting.

Hopefully it will not go "mainstream" on the next version as the views are now seen by each voter. Before this, it was literally a blank sheet of paper.

Tim Bert

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 08:12:16 AM »

As for not jacking my own thread, I'm surprised W-Straits is a common thread on most lists. I wonder what Tim Bert thinks  ;)

I think the Straits is a wee tad too high! 

Jud_T

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 08:38:34 AM »
Actually a pretty decent list.  They seem to have their priorities in the right place IMO;  for reference:

Links                      GD                         GM
Whistling Straights            32                        17                         26
Bandon Dunes                  39                        28                         32
Medinah                          89                        23                          37
Arcadia                            NA                       49                          NA
Butler                              NA                       54                          NA
Rich Harvest                     NA                       58                          NA
Bandon Trails                   36                         63                         54
Old Mac                          26                         NA                         43
Shoreacres                      30                         92                         36                                 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tom Dunne

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 08:41:49 AM »

Hopefully it will not go "mainstream" on the next version as the views are now seen by each voter. Before this, it was literally a blank sheet of paper.

Ah, but there's the catch--the "next version" will be arriving in a matter of weeks, not year(s). The medium-term goal here is for this stuff to be updating in as close to real time as possible.

This is a good time to encourage everyone to create lists of their own. These results were produced by a panel of 105, but we're looking to add to that number going forward. I'm excited by how this turned out but have no doubt it can and will improve.

Jim Colton

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 08:46:02 AM »
Jud,

You forgot: Kingsley 64 NA NA!

It's a strong list. I'm going to do some comparisons between this and the other pubs' top 50. Should answer Nuzzo's question on how they differ.

It looks like there's a social network aspect to it once you sign up. I'm jcolton31 if anyone wants to befriend me.

Lou Cutolo

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 09:44:30 AM »
Friar's Head at number 19. Do you think with time it will move higher on the list and if so how high will it go?

Sean Leary

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 09:45:54 AM »
Was there a minimum number of votes needed for a course to make it?

Jim Franklin

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 09:49:57 AM »
Rock Creek not high enough. Glad to see Baltimore CC make the list though.
Mr Hurricane

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 09:59:59 AM »
Is it just me but I can't find who the panelists are or what the criteria is?

John Shimp

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 10:15:31 AM »
I agree its a good list.  Suprised at how many new courses crack the top 50.  Trails at 36, Dunes at 39, Boston Golf at 42.  List falls apart a little for me after 85.  Some great oldies and a somewhat random list of newer courses.

Sean Leary

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 10:18:26 AM »
52 USA courses in the world list. Wonder how that compares with the other lists...

A bit surprised Huntsman and Colorado GC made the US lists..Trying to think of surprising omissions and aren't seeing anything off the top of my head...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:25:33 AM by Sean Leary »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back