News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Highways, Movie Theaters and Golf Courses.
« on: January 26, 2012, 12:21:05 PM »
One of the things I love about the drive from North Platte to Mullen is the excitement of meeting another car.  The wave and smiling face brightens my day.  That is the exception.

I reckon there was also a time in my life that I enjoyed going to a packed movie theater.  Laughing and squirming and this and that as a community enjoying the show.

Don't know I have ever been happy to see a full parking lot at the course, but that is just me.

What do highways, movie theaters and golf courses have in common that both celebrate and prevent the enjoyment of social interaction?  Has society changed that much or have I, like so many others before me, just gotten old.

Ed Oden

Re: Highways, Movie Theaters and Golf Courses.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 12:25:18 PM »
One of the things I love about the drive from North Platte to Mullen is the excitement of meeting another car.  The wave and smiling face brightens my day. 

The last time I made that drive the only car I passed was a state trooper.  My day was not brightened.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »
One of the things I love about the drive from North Platte to Mullen is the excitement of meeting another car.  The wave and smiling face brightens my day. 

The last time I made that drive the only car I passed was a state trooper.  My day was not brightened.

That is part of the excitement.  I rarely drive under 90.  Did you get a ticket?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 12:36:31 PM »
I can't recall if it is Pacific Dunes or Ballyneal but doesn't at least one of those courses have a specific portal where you can view other golfers walking by in a manner that is enduring?  Any ideas?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 12:40:34 PM »
I'm also a crier at movies.  It is nice to be about ready to ball up and hear some sniffles behind you.

I have to admit that I do have a bit of fun jousting with other cars on the way to work.  My son told me that on long stretches of roads in Texas the engineers design in unwarranted curves to keep lonely drivers awake.  I suppose all traffic isn't bad.

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 01:11:59 PM »
In all cases you want enough other fellow patrons to feel a sense of community, but not so many as to cramp your style.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ed Oden

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 01:38:55 PM »

That is part of the excitement.  I rarely drive under 90.  Did you get a ticket?

Yes.  The trooper apparently did not share my enthusiasm for golf.  Even better, when I got home I hopped online to search for a lawyer to represent my sorry ass.  Of course, there was exactly one in the whole county.  So I call him and he said he couldn't represent me.  The reason?  As the only attorney in the county, he was also the prosecuter.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back