News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alex Miller

Re: Great par 3's under 100 yards
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2012, 01:48:33 PM »
LACC's 15th has been brought up, but what about the new "bye" hole there? I believe that is also a sub 100 yard par 3 though I haven't played it.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2012, 01:50:04 PM »
This contradicts the current info on the website which has it at 104 from the reds.
http://www.pggolflinks.com/virtual_tour/

But it's not a very interesting hole. I'm afraid the goat {track, hill, pasture, ranch} has it beat.

Hole #10, Red Tee, 97 yards

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Eric Smith

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2012, 01:58:14 PM »
While hardly great, Rob Renault and Ron Garl designed an 81 yards (back tee) drop shot par three with an island green at River Run in Crossville, TN.   It's a puckerer. 

Perhaps Plateau correspondent Eric Smith can weigh in with a photograph. 

The course is a goat ranch.

Bogey

Well Bogart, I happen to be in the middle of nothing right now so I might as well head over to River Run with my camera. Be back shortly.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2012, 02:48:23 PM »
Garland,
Send a note to them and let 'em know their scorecard, which says 97red, and their virtual tour, which doesn't, are at odds with one another.  ;)

Might not be 'great' , but as their site says, "With the ocean breeze playing havoc with errant shots and a green that can confuse and confound, this little test can be so much more".

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's a 90 (thats nine-zero on the nose) yard hole in upstate NY, the 13th at Dutchess G&CC. Miss this small 2,500 square foot green and the recovery shot will be difficult, most likely resulting in a bogey, or worse. Hit the green and the severe back to front slope is easy to 3-putt, unless you keep the shot below the hole. The only thing harder to find than the surface of this green is the entrance to the club itself.  

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:50:02 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Eric Smith

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2012, 02:59:09 PM »

Dave McCollum

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2012, 04:35:28 PM »
I first thought of two at courses in St. George, both playing over gorges.  When I looked them up, they’re both over 100 yards.  The 6th at Coral Canyon, however is 122 from the tips, 110 from the blues, and 70 from the whites.

http://www.coralcanyongolf.com/courses.php?CourseID=a821b2f1addee3f2d42ee521dd081555&HoleNumber=6

Doug Wright

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2012, 04:38:24 PM »
Since Matt Ward's no longer around to diss me relentlessly about this hole, I'll submit the 5th at Fossil Trace GC in Golden, CO (Engh) as one outstanding par 3--especially the exquisitely designed green.  ;) Interesting factoid is the front men's tee is longer (99 yards) than the back tee (95 yards).

http://www.fossiltrace.com/PC/Flyovers/Hole5.swf

Twitter: @Deneuchre

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2012, 05:18:40 PM »
The 7th at Bear Creek in Denver measures 95 yds from the members tees.  It stretches back to 117 or so from the tips. 
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2012, 05:20:26 PM »

Is that bridge safe?
Hole # 9 at Caledonia is 92 from the whites.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2012, 05:42:57 PM »
Eric, thanks for the photograph.  River Run does have some decent bones.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Eric Smith

« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2012, 05:49:03 PM »
Eric, thanks for the photograph.  River Run does have some decent bones.

Bogey

Yeah, I saw them next to the dumpster in a faded out KFC tub. I'm sticking with your earlier appraisal, Mike. The place is a rancho de goato.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2012, 09:05:43 PM »
PBS 7 is all down hill so it plays less than 100.

Anthony

Scott Whitley

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2012, 10:12:55 PM »
The sixth hole at Doug Carrick's Copper Creek, a relatively recent course in Toronto, is 93 yards from the reds (103 from the whites so I expect it can play sub-100 depending on the pin).  Rare for a modern course.  But it's uphill, without a chasm or a water hazard, etc. to guard the front, so not as devilish as it could be.  So as far as southern Ontario goes, I agree with Guy Nicholson.  Seventeen at Lakeview is the best under 100 yard par-3.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2012, 11:11:29 PM »
If this thread was started in a metric system country - I'll take it liberally to represent 100m  ;)

Thus, the 19th at NSW GC (99m) would certainly qualify as "great"

Phil McDade

« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2012, 08:41:59 AM »
Does it have to be sub-100 from the back tee, or does a middle tee qualify?

I think I've only played one hole on a regulation course which was under 100 from the tips - #5 at Fossil Trace in Colorado.

The course I grew up playing, Janesville Riverside in Wisconsin, had a 12th hole which was 108 from the blues but 96 from the whites, with a large tree in between the tee and green. Was actually a tougher shot from the white tee.

Here it is:

A fun little par 3, the 12th (108 yards from the tips, 96 yards from the whites) is a classic up-and-over tee shot – a wedge over an enormous oak tree to a large green. Interestingly, the shot is more intimidating from the whites (second photo) than the blues (first photo).

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2012, 09:20:31 AM »
Do I win then?

Seeing as I appear to be the only one coming up with a genuinely good par-3 (perhaps great) which is under 100 yards from the tips on a very good course...

Another link:

http://mainsite.northwestgolfclub.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=41&Itemid=60

ChipOat

« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2012, 12:46:35 PM »
Pat Mucci beat me to #10 @ Inwood.  Yes, it is the shortest hole in U.S. Open history.

Tom Doak:  The scorecard shows 98 yards.

All:  #10 @ Inwood is a pretty good hole.  First, it sits hard by Jamaica Bay and it about 2 miles from the ocean, so there is almost always enough breeze/wind to make you think hard about just throwing a distance wedge up into the air.  Second, it's a two tier green, so, like #13 at Merion, missing long with a back flagstick = bogey 4 (or worse as there is water in front of the green).  When the hole is cut down front, it's not so bad although even a halfway-decent ball striker can suck it back into the water if they're not careful.

I believe the "drop hole" at Pocono Manor East is 77 yards.  Not sure it qualifies as a great hole although experience has taught me not to miss long (in the woods).

A shame that #6 at Merion West is 100+ yards and doesn't qualify.  While not "two or twenty", it IS 2/3 or 4-6.

Don Hyslop

« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2012, 06:45:26 PM »
I haven't noticed a nomination for what will be the 14th hole at Cabot Links. This beautiful little hole plays less than 100 yards on all but one of the tee boxes. The one that is over is just 102 yards. Besides the beautiful backdrop of the Gulf of St. Lawrence, the great thing about this hole is that one time you play, it might require a half wedge shot while the next time it might require a long iron.

Another short par three of note is the 17th at the Links at Crowbush Cove in Prince Edward Island. It plays at 97 yards from the white tees and requires a semi- blind uphill shot over thick vegetation to a small sloping green with severe fallaways on three sides. This hole has gotten lots of criticism but it is one of the most links like holes on the course.
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2012, 10:33:34 PM »
I haven't noticed a nomination for what will be the 14th hole at Cabot Links. This beautiful little hole plays less than 100 yards on all but one of the tee boxes. The one that is over is just 102 yards. Besides the beautiful backdrop of the Gulf of St. Lawrence, the great thing about this hole is that one time you play, it might require a half wedge shot while the next time it might require a long iron.

Certainly the most stunning one we have seen yet!  Are those double greens?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:36:09 PM by Emile Bonfiglio »
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Don Hyslop

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2012, 05:17:33 PM »

There is a double green on the course but these two are separate.
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

paul cowley

« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2012, 09:40:18 PM »

Which one is which hole?...although each looks better than the other! Well done from here!
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back