News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Emile Bonfiglio

USGA - For the good of the game - REALLY?
« on: January 23, 2012, 04:37:36 PM »
I was looking at one of the hundreds of scratch pads that the USGA has sent me in the past years in an effort to get me to renew my membership with them and was pondering their slogan "For the good of the game".  With 8,000 yard course, 330 yard Rocket Ballz 3 woods, greens able to hit 50 on the stimp, should they consider a rebranding perhaps? What would be you new slogan for them?

USGA "True, Blue and No Clue"
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Sam Morrow

Re: USGA - For the good of the game - REALLY?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 07:42:17 PM »
While I think the USGA screws things up I think like any large organization they do some good and some silly things. Where would American golf be without the USGA?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 08:38:34 PM »
Emile,

On balance, the USGA has done a terrific job over their time in existence.

Are they perfect ?   No.

Did they let hi-tech get away from them ? 
I think so, but the hi-tech issue doesn't represent the entire body of their work and is not the sole issue to judge them by.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 01:20:16 PM »
To put things in perspective.

Golf Manufacturers - For the Bad of the Game.
USGA - For the Good of the Game.

It may come down to who has the best (most expensive) lawyers. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Matthew Essig

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 02:01:26 AM »
I do find the equipment that pros are acquiring way too helpful. I am actually starting to lean towards two separate rule books for pros vs. Ams... The USGA needs to put an end to some of the new equipment for pros... I feel that ams should be allowed to use them but definitely not pros.  I am ok with the belly putter though!!!!!!!
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Carl Rogers

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 07:26:00 AM »
Let me the fly in the ointment ....

Today we have much much better ... clubs (hybrid really represents a big step forward for the weekender) ...... balls ....
more access to better courses .... more and better practice facilities ...... etc

Can the USGA take the credit for that?  .... as one of the promoters of the game, at least a little bit.

If the USGA would just accept the notion of bifurcation, which already exists anyway ..... then much of these "problems" would disappear.

The real tragedy of the modern game at the elite level, the obsolence of older shorter courses.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

RDecker

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 07:31:47 AM »
On the Equipment side I feel they've dropped the ball (no pun intended) a few times and their rules decisions aren't always
the best but as a Superintendent I feel they do add to golf a great deal.  The research they've funded has been very helpful
to our industry and game and the USGA acts as a nice envoy between the supers and the golfers.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 09:02:39 AM »
Ernie,

Your opinion might change if you worked with the USGA in a championshiP at your club. I have, on two occasions, and I am very impressed by the professionalism of the staff.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 09:06:47 AM »
Ernie?  Some inside Sesame Street reference?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 11:32:35 AM »
Today we have much much better ... clubs (hybrid really represents a big step forward for the weekender) ...... balls ....
more access to better courses .... more and better practice facilities ...... etc

Where's your proof? What weekender is shooting lower scores with these "better" clubs? Why would you parrot golf club manufacturer propaganda? What's you handicap? How is it that you speak for the "weekender?"
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 12:57:18 PM »
Ernie,

Your opinion might change if you worked with the USGA in a championshiP at your club. I have, on two occasions, and I am very impressed by the professionalism of the staff.

I'm saying that the USGA's slogan is "For the good of the game" that to me implies that they all the decisions they make should be for the good of the game. I think there are my many areas they have excelled in and others they have failed in.

Competitions - Yes (handicapping and tournaments)
Course Maint- Yes
Rules of the game- No contest
Environmental- No (only because distance increase has caused the need for longer course)
Equipment- No
Growing the sport- No

If they are there for the good of the game then I say they are failing.

You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 01:02:15 PM »
This is the same discussion as we had on the R&A. Pat and the others are correct. I am very quick to point out the mistakes which I feel they make. This happens regularly on US Open course preparation and selection. Yet, on the whole, I think we can be very proud of organization and the job of being our ruling body all these years. Can you imagine the tour as a final word? The USGA has served our game well. The people who volunteer and serve there reflect the best of us. Well maybe from a conservative slant. lol

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 01:04:05 PM »

Where's your proof? What weekender is shooting lower scores with these "better" clubs? Why would you parrot golf club manufacturer propaganda? What's you handicap? How is it that you speak for the "weekender?"

From a 2009 NGF survey of American golfers:

HAS MODERN EQUIPMENT SAVED YOU THREE OR MORE STROKES?
 YES: 55%
 NO: 16%
 DON'T KNOW: 29%

YOU SAID IT:
"There's no question that drivers and hybrids are worlds better than the crap I used 20 years ago. But modern putters do nothing.
 It's all hype."

The three questions asked aren't presented as "do you feel" ,  55% know modern equipment has helped them towards lower scores.  

HOW MUCH BETTER CAN YOU GET?
 I'm really good, but I could shave a stroke or two: 17%
 With time and practice, I could get a lot better: 78%
 I'm as good as I can be; I can't improve: 5%  

YOU SAID IT
 "Getting good at golf is about more than technique. It takes practice, practice, practice."

IF GIVEN $3,000 TO SPLURGE ON YOUR GAME, HOW WOULD YOU SPEND IT?
Golf school/series of lessons with Butch Harmon 44%
 A golf getaway at an exotic location, like Hawaii or Ireland 38%
 A new set of custom-fitted clubs 15%
 At the 19th hole 1%
 Other 2%

YOU SAID IT
 "You can't put a price on improving your game. If he could help me, I'd name all my kids 'Butch' — including the girls."

And it seems that they understand the importance of lessons and practice.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There are so many ways that the USGA has been good for the game, the + side of their contributions significantly outweighs the - side.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 01:08:44 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Carl Rogers

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 01:21:23 PM »

I cannot prove to you what I observe every round of golf I play or observe others play.  My index is right at 6.0 & I am 58 years old.  I thought everyone knew that a 18 deg hybrid is easier to hit than a 2 iron.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 01:34:18 PM »

I cannot prove to you what I observe every round of golf I play or observe others play.  My index is right at 6.0 & I am 58 years old.  I thought everyone knew that a 18 deg hybrid is easier to hit than a 2 iron.

I thought everyone knew that if their 2 iron wasn't working, they should put a 5 wood in their bag instead. ;)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 01:39:53 PM »

From a 2009 NGF survey of American golfers:

HAS MODERN EQUIPMENT SAVED YOU THREE OR MORE STROKES?
 YES: 55%
 NO: 16%
 DON'T KNOW: 29%

It's hard to express an opinion that contradicts what everyone has been telling you, but I see nearly half of your opinion survey isn't buying the manufacturer's line with 16% directly contradicting it.

Jud_T

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 01:53:45 PM »
Isn't the average club player's handicap 15 just as it was 30 years ago?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Lou_Duran

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 02:23:45 PM »

According to the following, it is 16.1 for men.  I think it is actually higher because of cheating and courses being set-up easier than the course ratings, particularly during the weekend when most rounds are played.

http://golftips.golfsmith.com/average-golf-handicap-america-2455.html

No question that techonology has helped strong, low handicappers considerably more than the rest.  Those of us who are distance-impaired are helped somewhat by clubs which are easier to get the ball up in the air (e.g. hybrids), but would do better with conditioning, some practice, and playing much more.

The U.S.G.A. is fantastic by any reasonable standard.  It deserves our support and perspectives.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 02:24:09 PM »
This wasn't a nebulous question, it asked the respondents to appraise the effect of modern equipment on their game with a very specific bottom line in mind, three strokes or more, and 55% said that they know the equipment has done that for them, 16% said no, it hasn't, and 29% didn't know if it had any effect.
They all sound like truthful answers to me, ones not affected by brainwashing, and I say that because the same group of participants understand that lessons and practice are required if they want to progress from where they are at present.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 02:35:34 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Brett Morris

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 02:30:07 PM »
Their Green Section Record is excellent.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 03:15:57 PM »

Golfers travel to play more today than they did in the past, there are many more courses available to them, and that means they'll see more courses that they aren't familiar with. An 'average' handicap player has a harder time hitting his target score on unfamiliar courses, especially on those with higher slope ratings/faster greens. That was the most prevalent type of new construction in the past 15 years. and the one most attractive to the traveling player, be it a day trip or an extended outing.

Sandbaggers have always been part of the equation. It's not easy getting players to post a score that they know will lower their handicap.

There has been an influx of new players in previous decades and that raises the average. On the other hand, the downturn in new players and the loss of others over the past decade has increased the average age of those who remain, and maintaining one's handicap is hard enough as one ages, let alone improving it.

p.s. No proof of the above, just conjecture.  ;D

JMEvensky

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 03:33:15 PM »

Sandbaggers have always been part of the equation. It's not easy getting players to post a score that they know will lower their handicap.

I wonder how prevalent the opposite is--players not posting high scores in order to keep a low vanity handicap.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 08:23:42 AM »

I wonder how prevalent the opposite is--players not posting high scores in order to keep a low vanity handicap.

JME,

It's quite prevalent, ego handicaps are everywhere.

I could be a gazillionairre if I could bet golfers on the first tee that they couldn't shoot their handicap or better for the round they were about to tee off for.

JMEvensky

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2012, 02:05:36 PM »

JME,

It's quite prevalent, ego handicaps are everywhere.

I could be a gazillionairre if I could bet golfers on the first tee that they couldn't shoot their handicap or better for the round they were about to tee off for.

Agree on the bet.

There's something in this that speaks to the sea change in golf over the last ~20 years.Nowadays,it seems like it's more important to say you have a low handicap--with the guarantee that you'll never have to prove it by signing a scorecard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back