News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom MacWood (Guest)

Hypothetical project
« on: December 22, 2001, 08:47:12 AM »
You've been contacted by a wealthy land owner who is interested in building a golf course on an excelent site - gently rolling sandy property, featuring some natural dunes. The owner is not concerned with cost and is not interested in creating a buzz to help sell homes or attract a membership - he simply wants a great golf course, a world class golf course that will be rated among the top 100 in the world. He asks you to submit your recommendations for the potential architects - he wants a list of the ten modern canidates in your order of preference. Who would be on your list?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

RJ_Daley

Re: Hypothetical project
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2001, 09:03:15 AM »
Tom, I or any one else who regularly reads GCA could list all the usual suspects that we mention here often.  Heck, there are hardly more than 10 that get mentioned here all that frequently.  But, I think we all know that there are many architects and associates in larger named firms who are all waiting for a breakout job to pour their heart and soul into.  And, I think that there are certain horses for certain courses.  I think some have a better feel for lowland terrain, some for parkland, and some for links-dunes land etc.  There are many who haven't worked in multiple terrain yet.  

Rather than list 10 predictable guys, I'd like to send a holiday wish for all those archies and designers and constructors who lurk here and are dreaming that shared vision - that someday they'll get their once in a lifetime opportunity to capture the attention of that so called-elusive wealthy patron, and get their shot at the dream that resides in everyone of their hearts.  8)

Best Holiday Wishes to All...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

John_McMillan

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2001, 09:09:45 AM »
There's a bit of internal contraction in the proposal.  The owner does not want to create a "buzz" (to sell homes or memberships), but does want to be ranked in the top 100 courses.  From our discussion on the "Kingsley / Best New" thread, I think we realize there is a certain "buzz" which is needed to impress those who do the ratings.  You also say the owner is not concerned with cost.  Architects like Fazio or Dye will certainly create a noticed course if given a $30 million construction budget, and also a very different course than someone like Doak or DeVries would create with a $2 million construction budget.  

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2001, 11:14:01 AM »
Tom,

Actually, I've been in a position similiar to what you described.

But, I was asked who I felt was the single person who made the most sense for the project.  That made sense to me.  I couldn't possibly imagine going through the process of seriously considering ten architects.

To be more reasonable, I'd recommend creating a short list, maybe 3-4 names.

I'd also second John MacMillan's comments.  When someone says they don't care about money, I'd want to be sure they understand the very wide range of potential costs for the project.  Unless, you are dealing with someone very wealthy, a difference of perhaps $25 million will probably mean something.  At the very least, you would have to articulate what they will be getting for the extra money.

Assuming your question is not just academic, you may find yourself in an interesting position.  There will be far more to discuss than just the choice of architects.

P.S. As your question hits too close to home, I can't give to my list.
Tim Weiman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back