News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Tricker

California Bound
« on: January 21, 2012, 02:45:01 PM »
I will be traveling to California next month and was looking for any recommendations of golf while in the following areas:

Ontario, CA
Irvine, CA

My schedule will permit for me to play a round while I am in each area. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Scott Weersing

Re: California Bound
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 02:51:37 PM »

Not much in terms of GCA in those areas as I recall. There are some good holes at Arroyo Trabuco down the road from Irvine in Mission Viejo.

As for Ontario, you can head out I-10 to Oak Valley GC, and East Valley GC, which has 36 holes. There is also Goose Creek which has some good holes and some odd holes.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 02:57:28 PM »
2008 article from Golf Digest on golf courses in Orange County:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/2008-05/allstar_california

Arroyo Trabuco gets a nice writeup in the current (Jan. 16) issue of GolfWorld.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 03:03:01 PM »
What's the alleged Mackenzie in Riverside?   Less than 25 miles east of Ontario, which I believe is a golf desert.   Although isn't the Eisenhower Babe course reasonably close?

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 05:30:11 PM »
In Ontario I would suggest, all these courses are within 30 minutes. 

Private :
Victoria Golf Club (Max Behr)
Redlands Golf Club (Norman MacBeth)  this might be the alleged MacKenzie
Red Hill Golf Club (George Thomas)

Public:
Goose Creek (Schmidt and Curley)
Ranch at Moreno Valley (Pete Dye) this course is very afforadable and has a really cool mountain nine, would highly recommend if you want to save some money. 

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 09:49:53 PM »
Redlands CC allegedly had some Mackenzie work done on it in. Not sure that any of it remains. Redlands dates to 1896. It claims to be second oldest course in the west. Still on original piece of property. 6300 yds par 70 small greens and tight fairways. 

David Kelly

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 12:16:08 AM »
Scott,

If you get on the 10 freeway leaving the Ontario Airport and go east after about 5 or 6 exits you'll hit an exit for Sierra Ave. in Fontana. Take the exit and turn right and then go about a mile or two until you are over the hill and you'll hit Oak Quarry Golf Club.  It is an interesting Schmidt/Curley design built around an old rock quarry.  It has a number of dramatic holes and the rest is solid Schmidt/Curley with all the good and bad that implies. 
http://www.oakquarry.com/

There is a Palmer/Seay course in Rancho Cucamonga called Empire Lakes that holds a Nationwide Tour even and is the home course of Kevin Na.  Its not bad but Oak Quarry is better.
http://www.empirelakes.com/

You're on your own in Irvine, Orange County is a golf wasteland.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Alex Miller

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 05:10:10 AM »
Would I be off in suggesting that the best golf (for the money) around Irvine might be to head down to San Clemente? I really love that muni.

I'll also second the endorsement for Oak Quarry, as well as Ranch at Moreno Valley. To me, Oak Quarry is the superior Schmidt-Curley, so go for that one.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
Irvine = shady canyon or Santa ana cc

Ontario = red hill
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Lou_Duran

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 08:57:43 PM »

Ontario = red hill

Isn't there a hidden gem in southern Orange County called El Perro?  Or maybe it's called The Nigel?  Anyways, I think John Cook is a proud member there.  How about Rec Center in Long Beach?  Isn't that a Billy Bell?  Strawberry Farms in Irvine is not too bad.

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 02:11:58 AM »
I'll third the nomination of Oak Quarry... easily the best course in that area.  Redlands and Victoria are private and are fun
  courses to play, both claiming to be the oldest in SoCal.   I also agree that Arroyo Trabuco is a good choice for the
  Irvine area.  Strawberry Farms is ok as is Oak Creek.  If you want the ocean ( although it is very expensive), Pelican Hill
  has some pretty fabulous views.  Shady and Santa Ana are worth playing, both private.  I think Lou Duran is talking about
  El Niguel in Laguna Niguel which is not too far away.  It's set down in a canyon, and is squeezed into a residential area.  Very
  average layout but fantastic and viscious greens.    If you want to play my course,  Old Ranch CC, a Ted Robinson design, you are certainly welcome to play with me.  It's just up the road about 15 minutes.
  You can email me at LWayneF@aol.com

Jim Eder

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 11:39:11 AM »
I would agree with Victoria and Red Hill and Oak Quarry is very dramatic. Can't go wrong with any of them.

I will add that Hacienda is really really nice and a great challenge. Always in great shape. Just a terrific course. That would be my Irvine pick. Shady is also excellent as another poster wrote.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 12:49:04 PM »

Ontario = red hill

Isn't there a hidden gem in southern Orange County called El Perro?  Or maybe it's called The Nigel?  Anyways, I think John Cook is a proud member there.  How about Rec Center in Long Beach?  Isn't that a Billy Bell?  Strawberry Farms in Irvine is not too bad.

Lou, that hidden gem is known as "Las Pumas". I can't recommend it to anyone in good conscience until some or all of the work is done.

The author seems to have specific locations in mind....I was trying to stay as close to those as possible (taxi ride).

Once you get in the car, might as well drive to LA and play any of the big three.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 01:49:48 PM »
Scott,

If you get on the 10 freeway leaving the Ontario Airport and go east after about 5 or 6 exits you'll hit an exit for Sierra Ave. in Fontana. Take the exit and turn right and then go about a mile or two until you are over the hill and you'll hit Oak Quarry Golf Club.  It is an interesting Schmidt/Curley design built around an old rock quarry.  It has a number of dramatic holes and the rest is solid Schmidt/Curley with all the good and bad that implies. 
http://www.oakquarry.com/

There is a Palmer/Seay course in Rancho Cucamonga called Empire Lakes that holds a Nationwide Tour even and is the home course of Kevin Na.  Its not bad but Oak Quarry is better.
http://www.empirelakes.com/

You're on your own in Irvine, Orange County is a golf wasteland.

+1 on the courses, but you might want to know that both areas are some of the heaviest traffic areas in So Cal and if time is a problem then stick to Empire Lakes in Ontario and if money is not an object then Oak Creek in Irvine or Strawberry Farms might be a good idea.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 01:55:30 PM »
The 36 hole complex in Beaumont that is home toSo Cal Golf Association, Tewkot Canyon designed by Schmidt/Curley was really good. Don't know how it has developed 10+ years later.  Oak Valley just on the other side of the freeway is a nice track as well.

Dan Grossman

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 02:23:38 PM »
The only other course in the Inland Empire that I would recommend is Oak Valley, another Schmidt / Curley like Oak Quarry.  It is farther east in Beaumont on the I-10 and I like it a bit better than Oak Quarry.  However Oak Quarry is a good spot and one of my favorites.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 05:41:55 PM »
Lou, that hidden gem is known as "Las Pumas". I can't recommend it to anyone in good conscience until some or all of the work is done.

Yes, "Las Pumas Viejas", that's the one; among my personal favorites in southern OC.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 11:44:07 AM »
Coincidentally, I'll be in Riverside, CA, in late March.  Is Oak Quarry the consensus choice in the area?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 01:45:50 PM »
Tommy Knockers and I toured Redlands many moons ago.  You could still see the footprints of some typical Mac greens and bunkers then, although many have grown in and lost their magic.  I found it worth the time just to see the ghosts of Mac greens.

Other than that, the S-C courses mentioned are all decent, including Oak Quarry.  Probably too far to go down and try the new Champions course at La Costa......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 01:52:52 PM »
Coincidentally, I'll be in Riverside, CA, in late March.  Is Oak Quarry the consensus choice in the area?

I prefer Victoria Club (Behr).

David Stamm

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 08:44:03 PM »

I prefer Victoria Club (Behr).

+1.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 10:28:28 AM »
Two words....OAK QUARRY

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back