News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BillV

Re: Separation, a playoff the Pine Valley Discusio
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2001, 02:17:44 PM »
Tommy Paul

There are at least 200 trees that I would allow to remain at Lehigh if it were up to me!  What do you mean I don't want trees on a course? ? ? ?  ?

Remember the photo I showed you in the manager's office at LCC? ? ? ?  ?

Those early views of Pine Valley show few trees.  And seasonal? ? ?  ?  Remember it is PINE Valley. ;)
Chacon a son gout, monsieur

Back to the triangle at PVGC #1-4....  clear out each of the corners and thin the woods, voila!  (AND reduce the incidence of Lyme disease in the process).  What a sight/site!  You don't have to (And I don't mean to suggest) cut(ting) them all down!  But pull out some scorecards from the Valley recently.  Yikes!  What a jungle out there!  And the hole photos in Finegan's new book, before the trim jobs started.  Post them!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:12 PM by -1 »

TEPaul

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2001, 03:25:13 PM »
BV:

So what are we talking about Pine Valley a few years ago or Pine Valley now and the direction they're going in? Thin out the woods? That's exactly what they have been doing for a few years now!

'And seasonal???? Remember it's PINE Valley. Chacon a son gout..'

There are plenty of pines out there now that have grown and been planted over the years too but there are many other varieties of trees out there too and there certainly were in the beginning.

In the beginning the site was dense in trees and caused many of them to grow and shoot to the light with less than full lower branches! Just go check out some of the land out there that isn't golf or golf holes. And most definitely you should be aware of the style and look of Hidden Creek too, very much the same style as Pine Valley was intended to be--"American heathland" ! It's not the individual trees anyway it's the hole to hole isolation that was the intent from the beginning and either you agree with Crump's intent or you don't, I guess.

"Some of his demands, as well as his fetishes, for design are well known. He Abhored parallelism. He desired to keep each hole free of view from any other."      

Warner Shelly ("Pine Valley Golf Club--A chronicle).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

TEPaul

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2001, 03:44:38 PM »
BV:

'There are at least 200 trees I would allow to remain at Lehigh if it were up to me.'

Think about that a minute Bill!! Let's just give a maximum of about 20 trees to the club buildings and the remaining 180 for the golf course!! That would leave about 10 trees per hole!!

Since there are at least 10,000-20,000 trees there right now that might look a little silly, don't you think? If it were up to you, in that case, I, for one, would recommend you take about 200 select trees out or else every single tree off the golf course!!

You've definitely got guts, or something, my boy, and somehow I don't think they're going to leave it up to you!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back