News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Re: "The greatest experience"
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2012, 11:42:45 PM »
Panegyric...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panegyric

Numinous...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numinous

I think that Peter is always on to something, so let's extend his thought to not just what we already have inside of us, but what we give out and whom we are with.

The times that I've been to destination clubs (Pete Dye, Ballyhack, Kinloch), I've had the chance to stay over at one and drive in/play/drive out at the other two. There is so much to learn from the latter approach...so much to learn about what is lost.

Some have mentioned the importance of the staff. I cannot agree more. Nothing leaves that taste in your mouth like feeling a bit or more like you don't belong, then having the staff put you at ease ... or confirm your feeling. The difference is tacit and unmistakeable.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2012, 12:40:35 AM »
This whole question is silly, really.  I've had 40 great years in golf, and nearly every time I've been out on a golf course it's been special.  No point in just name-checking people or golf courses here.

However, I would like to stick up for the idea that it isn't always about the other people.  I've had the privilege to go out by myself on many of the greatest courses, either with my clubs or just my camera, and some of those have been among my most memorable rounds of golf.  But then, golf courses speak to me more than they do to most other people.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2012, 02:11:57 AM »
But then, golf courses speak to me more than they do to most other people.

The Course Whisperer. Nice.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2012, 03:48:14 AM »
The first time you play TOC is a very special experience especially after a very wet R&A luncheon.

The finest experiences definitely revolve around people as much as the place, it maybe a wonderful host or a notable member(s) of staff. A great meal at a table of bores would not go down well!!
Cave Nil Vino

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2012, 09:46:53 AM »
I think for me, individuals shape the greatness of a golf/golfing experience.  I will always remember the grey June afternoon I arrived at the CC of Farmington with no expectation to play--just to walk the course in preparation for a State Am qualifier.  Longtime, legendary pro John Murphy greeted me and invited me to play anyway.  Totally unexpected and totally heartening.

My day at Robert Trent Jones GC was incredible in its own right.  It was very meticulous and made me feel like I was being taken care of every step of the way, from the time I arrived to the time I departed.

The day my father and I played Bulls Bay was equally cool, experience-wise.  Much, much lower-key, though, but still wonderful.

Most of the clubs offered up here as "best experiences" are one-off or not-very-often experiences, at most.  What about clubs that are people's everyday clubs?  Are the criteria for "best experience" the same for the place you go every weekend the same as where you go once in a lifetime?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

jeffwarne

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2012, 10:53:54 AM »
I think for me, individuals shape the greatness of a golf/golfing experience.  I will always remember the grey June afternoon I arrived at the CC of Farmington with no expectation to play--just to walk the course in preparation for a State Am qualifier.  Longtime, legendary pro John Murphy greeted me and invited me to play anyway.  Totally unexpected and totally heartening.

My day at Robert Trent Jones GC was incredible in its own right.  It was very meticulous and made me feel like I was being taken care of every step of the way, from the time I arrived to the time I departed.

The day my father and I played Bulls Bay was equally cool, experience-wise.  Much, much lower-key, though, but still wonderful.

Most of the clubs offered up here as "best experiences" are one-off or not-very-often experiences, at most.  What about clubs that are people's everyday clubs?  Are the criteria for "best experience" the same for the place you go every weekend the same as where you go once in a lifetime?

Tim,
I'm rarely a fan of clubs who try to market themselves based on the "experience"
because it's usually a lot of showy, parking lot attendant, locker room, driving range,starter, white suited caddy crap ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

That said, to your question about a home club experience.
At Palmetto I am warmly greeted by Tom Moore EVERY time I play there, and made to feel at home and accomodated, no matter how busy they are, or how unannounced I am. And it's been that way since my days as high schooler going over for the day. (And recently by Brooks Blackburn who is slowly taking over the reins).
I only wish i was 10% as good at my job
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:20:10 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill Gayne

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2012, 11:05:45 AM »
Over the years, some of my greatest golf  experiences have been formed by the people I played with and I didn't even know them until shaking hands on the first tee box.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2012, 11:39:38 AM »
This whole question is silly, really.  I've had 40 great years in golf, and nearly every time I've been out on a golf course it's been special.  No point in just name-checking people or golf courses here.

Tom --

Are you kidding me? The guy who developed the Doak rating scale says it's "silly" to ask about "greatest experiences"? There's "no point" in citing people or courses? You've got to be kidding me.

All I was asking about (really) were the golf experiences to which people would give, if you'll forgive the expression, a Doak 10.

Are you asking us to believe that "nearly every time" you've been out on a golf course, it's been equally special?

Golf courses might talk to you, but they don't all speak sweetly -- do they? Even those Doak zeros?

Dan

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2012, 12:10:03 PM »
Try the European Club for a nice experience. Threated well from start to finish. Very nice folks.

Including a few pints with Mr. Pat Ruddy afterward and had an hour or so to ask deign questions. I hear he is there frequently.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2012, 12:14:09 PM »
My greatest experience so far is one day of a trip to Sea Island in 2003.  Woke up in our "rental mansion" and all 8 of us
drove to the Lodge on a perfect day in May.  Hit the amazing locker room, showered then ate a light breakfast...
warmed up... played 18 holes on a perfectly manicured golf course, on a perfect location, with perfect weather.  
After the first round we showered, changed, ate a quick lunch, warmed up, then played our second 18... in perfect
afternoon weather.  We went back to the Locker room and sat around the big table having drinks and watching the
Kentucky Derby.  Right after it finished... spurred on by juleps and transfusions... played an emergency nine in a
beautiful sunset with the bagpiper playing in the background.  Back to the locker room for more drinks, another shower,
and discussion about what a wonderful day it was.  PS.  The first round took 3 hrs and 45 minutes... the second 3 hours...
the emegency nine... well over 2 hours since all 8 of us played in the same group.

I like the private club experience but cannot help feeling a little apprehensive when playing as a guest.  Something about the Sea Island Lodge just seems magical every time we visit.  I imagine if I was at a first class club where I was a member the feeling would be
the same.  I had similar experiences the final day at Primland in 2011 and at the Kingsley Club in 2010.  Ballyhack was close with
the only difference being I was with GCA guys instead of seven of my closest friends.  The common thread to all three days
is that we were basically on the golf course by ourselves.

I guess this post really stresses just how special the clubs are that make you feel comfortable.

to a beautiful sunset.  Right

Michael George

« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2012, 01:26:10 PM »
But then, golf courses speak to me more than they do to most other people.

Instead of "I hear dead people"..... for TD, it is "I hear golf courses"   ;D
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2012, 02:11:50 PM »

However, I would like to stick up for the idea that it isn't always about the other people.  I've had the privilege to go out by myself on many of the greatest courses, either with my clubs or just my camera, and some of those have been among my most memorable rounds of golf.  But then, golf courses speak to me more than they do to most other people.

Agreed.  I played RCD with very poor company and in bad weather (and played rather poorly as well) and yet the experience was AWESOME!  Also, some of my favorite rounds have been alone (as it allows me to just focus on and interact with the course), but I am a little wierd that way. 

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2012, 02:22:40 PM »
As great as all these great experiences are and have been...they would all likely play second fiddle if you were to be picked up tomorrow morning and whisked to Augusta. I think that's what the opening post referred to and with a possible few exceptions, it would probably wind up being the case for the vast majority of us. From that perspective, it's not that silly a thread.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2012, 02:23:55 PM »
My daughter and I played TOC in 2009 when she was 14. She finished par, par (lipped out for birdie on 18). I finished birdie, bogey, par. The sheer joy I felt on #1 tee, after a great drive on #17, and watching her play was surpassed only by the emotions I felt on 18 green, when we were finished.  Smiles all around. Handshakes. Hugs. We walked off the green, near the starter's hut, to take photos looking back down 1 and 18. Only to hear another daughter squeal with delight as she and her father were called by the starter to walk on. It has to be the most magical spot on the planet.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2012, 02:43:06 PM »
Try the European Club for a nice experience. Threated well from start to finish. Very nice folks.

Including a few pints with Mr. Pat Ruddy afterward and had an hour or so to ask deign questions. I hear he is there frequently.

He was there as recently as last summer and I got the impression that he is there virtually every day. He insisted on buying me lunch and giving me a copy of his book. Some may respond cynically and say he is a skilled marketer. But there is simply too much personal investment in his time for him to be faking it. I just think he is bursting with pride about his course and wants to share it with the world. His library of golf architecture books is legendary!

Nothing wrong with being a good salesman as long as you're still a good guy. Ruddy would seem to fit those attributes.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

George Pazin

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2012, 02:47:44 PM »
Over the years, some of my greatest golf  experiences have been formed by the people I played with and I didn't even know them until shaking hands on the first tee box.

Very cool, I can relate. The one summer I played a good bit, 1998, I would go to my local muni every Sat morning as a single. I have some very special memories of that summer that really spoke to the allure of the game. That's partly why I would like my first crack at TOC to be via the ballot. Someday maybe.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

JWL

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2012, 03:36:16 PM »
It was certainly an amazing experience for me, to play before the recent major changes and then again shortly after they were implemented.
Once you actually play it, watching  the Master's Tournament on TV has an entirely new dimension.
Whle it is not my favorite golf course, it was certainly one of the most memorable experiences in golf I've had for sure.
If you love history, and especially golf history, the place reeks of it.

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2012, 04:21:05 PM »
My thought process has changed since the latest revamping at Augusta.  With the tightening of the course, my desire to play has somewhat lessened.  It still would qualify as an outstanding experience, but wouldn't be top on my list.  Walking on at the Old Course after being in town for an hour can probably not be topped.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2012, 04:42:47 PM »
My thought process has changed since the latest revamping at Augusta.  With the tightening of the course, my desire to play has somewhat lessened.  It still would qualify as an outstanding experience, but wouldn't be top on my list.  Walking on at the Old Course after being in town for an hour can probably not be topped.

Being in Pinehurst is another great experience.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2012, 04:49:51 PM »

How about the Firth of Fourth Road Bridge for the first time.

Anthony

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2012, 04:56:08 PM »
Anthony,

For the umpteenth time it's The Fifth of Forth Road Bridge!

Orra best, Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Anthony Gray

« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2012, 04:57:53 PM »
Anthony,

For the umpteenth time it's The Fifth of Forth Road Bridge!

Orra best, Colin

Your correct Colin.

Anthony

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2012, 05:43:38 PM »
I think for me, individuals shape the greatness of a golf/golfing experience.  I will always remember the grey June afternoon I arrived at the CC of Farmington with no expectation to play--just to walk the course in preparation for a State Am qualifier.  Longtime, legendary pro John Murphy greeted me and invited me to play anyway.  Totally unexpected and totally heartening.

My day at Robert Trent Jones GC was incredible in its own right.  It was very meticulous and made me feel like I was being taken care of every step of the way, from the time I arrived to the time I departed.

The day my father and I played Bulls Bay was equally cool, experience-wise.  Much, much lower-key, though, but still wonderful.

Most of the clubs offered up here as "best experiences" are one-off or not-very-often experiences, at most.  What about clubs that are people's everyday clubs?  Are the criteria for "best experience" the same for the place you go every weekend the same as where you go once in a lifetime?

Tim,
I'm rarely a fan of clubs who try to market themselves based on the "experience"
because it's usually a lot of showy, parking lot attendant, locker room, driving range,starter, white suited caddy crap ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

That said, to your question about a home club experience.
At Palmetto I am warmly greeted by Tom Moore EVERY time I play there, and made to feel at home and accomodated, no matter how busy they are, or how unannounced I am. And it's been that way since my days as high schooler going over for the day. (And recently by Brooks Blackburn who is slowly taking over the reins).
I only wish i was 10% as good at my job

Jeff--

You're absolutely right about Palmetto.  If I could pick one of the places I've played as a home club, I think Palmetto would be #1.  Charming, unassuming, friendly in the extreme.  That's exactly the type of "experience" I'd most like to enjoy on a daily basis.  The soup-to-nuts treatment is cool every so often, though, I must admit.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Ben Sims

« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2012, 05:46:51 PM »
Tim,

Jeff just likes the experience at Palmetto because he can use his longevity to take money off younger members playing H-O-R-S-E on the practice green. 

That and the beer is fairly cheap.

jeffwarne

« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2012, 06:04:38 PM »
Tim,

Jeff just likes the experience at Palmetto because he can use his longevity to take money off younger members playing H-O-R-S-E on the practice green. 

That and the beer is fairly cheap.

Is your last sentence the reason I have no memory of that?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back