News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Emile Bonfiglio

Predictions for Bandon Preserve
« on: January 18, 2012, 03:13:09 PM »
After booking my latest crusade to Mecca, I've come to the conclusion that Bandon Preserves is going to be the 2nd most popular course at the resort (after Pacific Dunes). This has nothing to do with how the course plays but rather the access to play more golf in a day. My next trip is in a few weeks and it is very difficult to get 36 holes in due to light. A couple of days you're stuck with a 10:15 or 11:45 tee time. If the Preserve were open, no doubt we would play it either prior to or after a mid day 18, i  think others will follow.

I also wonder about the pricing structure, will they allow you to play the Preserve at full price and then play the other courses that day at the replay rate (how awesome!)? Or will replay rate only apply if you have played one of the full 18 first and then play Preserve, what about playing Preserve prior to your round on the Big 4, what rate would you pay?

You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

David Kelly

Re: Predictions for Bandon Preserve
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 03:17:32 PM »
After booking my latest crusade to Mecca, I've come to the conclusion that Bandon Preserves is going to be the 2nd most popular course at the resort (after Pacific Dunes).

I thought Bandon Dunes received the most play of the four courses.  When did Pacific Dunes become the most popular?
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 03:42:10 PM »

I predict it will be the course with the most wagering. I would like to see a day ticket.

Anthony

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 03:45:08 PM »
Here's the score card from the website. Why would I play it over shorty's?

BLACK    138    142    106    124    152    142    164/150    78/65    134    120    152    148    110    1468    /
GREEN    108    122/94    90    112    120/102    130    130    60    106    102    131    128    94    1191    /
ORANGE    86    66    65    82    92    76/42    68    44    82    54    102    106/70    78    819    /
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Howard Riefs

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 03:54:42 PM »
The resort website currently doesn't post Preserve's greens fees : http://www.bandondunesgolf.com/pages/green_fees/118.php

Rather, the only pricing information I've seen on Preserve comes via Matty G:  

When it opens on May 1, "Preserve will be a $100 green fee with a $50 replay rate, which also applies if you first play any one of the other four courses at the resort. (All profits will go to South Coast Conservation, which develops and implements conservation strategies for marine, freshwater and terrestrial conservation in the area.)"

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/blogs/wheres-matty-g/2011/09/bandon-preserve-the-scorecard.html#ixzz1jqOlOHxI

No word yet on the pricing structure should you first play Preserve and then a replay at one of the other four courses.  Frankly, I'd be surprised of a model where during high-season one only pays $215 ($100 BP + $115 replay) vs. $280 ($230 BD, PD, BT or OM + $50 BP replay).  But that's Keiser and Kemper Golf's decision.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:03:08 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Carl Nichols

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 04:03:09 PM »
Frankly, I'd be surprised of a model where one only pays $215 ($100 BP + $115 replay) vs. $280 ($230 BD, PD, BT or OM + $50 BP replay). 

Especially when you could no-show your Preserve tee time and still pay less ($215) than just 18 costs at one of the other courses ($230).

Mark Johnson

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 04:03:53 PM »
Agreed on the costing.

I actually think that it will be the hardest tee time to come by at the resort... and probably by a wide margin.

I think there is incentive to keep the pricing high so that i doesn't cannibilize that much revenue at the other 4 courses.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 04:31:42 PM »
In a word: Success.

Almost a perfect concept given the clientele (die hard male golfers who love to gamble).

Not much of a science to how to price Preserve if played first... pay for both rounds at check-in and get the $50 replay for what is the morning round. Of course that from someone who has forgotten that weather could cause issues with such a setup.

What's next? A major publication ranking the best par 3 courses in the world? Not my thought but I will divulge he who uttered that once such a ranking appears.

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 04:33:30 PM »
Here's the score card from the website. Why would I play it over shorty's?

Might we see shorty's fade into oblivion? Reduce the cannibalization within the resort. Frankly I could just spend a day on the range/shorty's and still have an awesome day.

Ben Sims

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 05:08:07 PM »
With respect the quasi driving range par 3, Shorty's doesn't compare to The Preserve.  By a wide margin.

I gather that you'll probably be able to get on BP pretty easily in the mornings.  After 1200, forget it.  It will be the most played golf course in the afternoon at he resort by a mile. 

After seeing the way the ground moves on that property, I also think the being the super on BP could be the most sought after job on the resort. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 05:11:08 PM »
With respect the quasi driving range par 3, Shorty's doesn't compare to The Preserve.  By a wide margin.

With respect, have you played both? Either? Even set foot on The Preserve?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ben Sims

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 05:29:36 PM »

I can feel the respect Garland.

I've toured Bandon Preserve twice, and played it once.  Two of the times I've been on the course has been with someone that built it. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 05:32:15 PM »

I've toured Bandon Preserve twice, and played it once.  Two of the times I've been on the course has been with someone that built it. 

You didn't answer about Shorty's.

Ben Sims

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 05:34:52 PM »

You didn't answer about Shorty's.

Yes, twice.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 05:46:13 PM »

Please explain the wide margin other than by ocean views.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 05:49:12 PM »
Matt Ginella posted an image of this mailer via Twitter earlier today. Not a bad setting for an afternoon round...

#9, 134 yards

https://twitter.com/#!/Matt_Ginella/status/159723915957116928
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 08:58:18 PM »
It should be a success. I think alot of people will play it for an evening round after 36 holes.

William_G

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 09:27:04 PM »
Fortunate to have walked it with the folks buiding it, it is very interesting to see shaping in 100% sand, then go to grass with hydroseed.

Also lucky to have played it but with putting at about a 3 on the stimp.

C&C have done a great job squeezing in a fantistic 13 hole short course with fun undulating greens, blind shots, tough holes, all at a beautiful sight that is almost ocean-front and someday might be.

I think people would have fun playing even it there were not any other golf around. But there is and that will be interesting to see how folks integrate it into there Bandon experience.

I would kind of think of it as a nice warm up for the other courses but lots of guys finish up on Shorty's and this may be how it actually goes.

You will definitely lose more golf balls at BP than Shorty's and the greens/shaping etc... are more interesting at BP, it's more architecturally sound. And the holes at BP seem shorter, but I don't have the card from Shorty's to verify and it seems I see the red flag at Shorty's a lot.

Here's my buddy Tony on #5.

And #2

thanks
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 09:48:48 PM by William Grieve »
It's all about the golf!

Mike Hogan

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 09:48:54 PM »
A couple of shots of the Preserve taken from BandonDunes #17 Tee, 2 weeks ago.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 09:50:33 PM »
That last picture looks almost out of this world, seems like a movie backdrop.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 09:51:54 PM »
As to pricing, my understanding is that it will operate independently and will not factor in to the replay rate on another course.  For instance, if you play the Preserve in the morning and go out on PD at 11, you pay full freight at PD.  If you play PD first thing and play your second round at the Preserve, you pay full freight at the Preserve.

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 01:00:46 AM »
As to pricing, my understanding is that it will operate independently and will not factor in to the replay rate on another course.  For instance, if you play the Preserve in the morning and go out on PD at 11, you pay full freight at PD.  If you play PD first thing and play your second round at the Preserve, you pay full freight at the Preserve.

Am I out of line in my thinking that $100 to play 13 single shot holes is a bit steep as a replay?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 01:08:46 AM »

Am I out of line in my thinking that $100 to play 13 single shot holes is a bit steep as a replay?

I would agree.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 11:58:31 AM »
I would kind of think of it as a nice warm up for the other courses but lots of guys finish up on Shorty's and this may be how it actually goes.

You will definitely lose more golf balls at BP than Shorty's and the greens/shaping etc... are more interesting at BP, it's more architecturally sound. And the holes at BP seem shorter, but I don't have the card from Shorty's to verify and it seems I see the red flag at Shorty's a lot.

Define "architecturally sound" and explain why it is so. Losing more golf balls is "architecturally sound"?

How can BP be warm up for holes like Redan on OM and PD? How can BP be warm up for holes like Biaritz and Eden? Perhaps BP can be warm up for relatively short par 4s and for par 5s, but shouldn't you forgo the tee, and go find some unlevel ground to hit from?

David Kelly

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 12:39:43 PM »
How can BP be warm up for holes like Redan on OM and PD? How can BP be warm up for holes like Biaritz and Eden? Perhaps BP can be warm up for relatively short par 4s and for par 5s, but shouldn't you forgo the tee, and go find some unlevel ground to hit from?

Then don't play it. Problem solved.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back