News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Tufts

Re: How many of the top 100
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 10:44:05 AM »
46 of the GCA unofficial 100...that makes me look good!  Hopefully will add a couple in 2012.

Missing ANGC, NGLA, SH, and PVGC in the top 10.

About 30-35 in both the US and world lists, in each magazine.

Not really a motivation, but fun to keep track of.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jim Franklin

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 02:18:15 PM »

Augusta and what else?

Princeville. Just have never been to Hawaii. I am working on the 2010 list.

Jim,
I'll show you the hole in the fence at Augusta (I had a regular summer night loop of four holes-13,14, 11 ,12 )....
if you'll take me to Hawaii. ;D
Once played nearly the entire back nine-didn't putt on 18 or tee off on 10

That sounds like an interesting trade. I will keep you in mind.
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2012, 02:19:12 PM »
I'm going by the Golf Mag lists and am up to 91 on the most recent U.S. top 100.  And if I get on Augusta this year
  I'm taking Jim Franklin next year!

Wayne - You are the best. I hope you had fun with Jeff B today. Let me know when you are heading east again.
Mr Hurricane

Stewart Naugler

Re: How many of the top 100 New
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 07:54:37 PM »
The top 100 has changed a bit since I was a kid but I'd say 75-85 without counting. I've always wanted to play all 100 but that dreamed ended once I decided to be a superintendent for life. It's disappointing because I've been lucky enough to play nearly all of the "harder to access" private clubs (Cypress, PV, SF, Chicago, etc).

What happened to Fenway? I know After Gil's work in 2000 Fenway jumped into the top 100 (deservedly so). I believe there was still a lot of tree work to be done, but not enough to keep such a great Tillie track outside the top 100. Did the tree work not continue?  

Best set of Tillie greens in my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:03:04 PM by SNaugler »

jeffwarne

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 07:58:36 PM »
The top 100 has changed a bit since I was a kid but I'd say 75-85 without counting. I've always wanted to play all 100 but that dreamed ended once I decided to be a superintendent for life. It's disappointing because I've been lucky enough to play nearly all of the "harder to access" private clubs (Cypress, PV, ANGC, SF, Chicago, etc).

What happened to Fenway? I know After Gil's work in 2000 Fenway jumped into the top 100 (deservedly so). I know there was still a lot of tree work to be done, but not enough to keep such a great Tillie track outside the top 100. Did the tree work not continue? 

Best set of Tillie greens in my opinion.

If you haven't looked at the list for awhile, you might be surpised what's on it and what's not
75-80's a big number if you haven't been adding to it lately
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2012, 08:04:36 PM »

If you haven't looked at the list for awhile, you might be surpised what's on it and what's not

Jeff- I look at the list nearly everyday (a little obsessed) but I just haven't taken the time to count. I will count now though!

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2012, 08:15:02 PM »
Golf Digest 81/100

*I do believe Fenway's rated around #60 on Golfweek's top 100 classic course list. I'm referring to the fact that it's no longer on Golf Digest or Golf Magazines top 100.

Maybe I'm completely off base... Not sure!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:19:31 PM by SNaugler »

jeffwarne

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2012, 08:28:52 PM »

Jeff- I look at the list nearly everyday (a little obsessed) but I just haven't taken the time to count. I will count now though!

I haven't played a Top 100 for the first time in a long time(nor looked at a list) and when I counted on this most recent list, my number had gone down a bit.
haven't played enough Fazios ::) ;D
Long Cove was 19th in the 80's-now it's gone!

I misunderstood your initial post-sorry
I thought you were using the list from when you were a kid ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2012, 08:43:45 PM »
Not a problem! We're on the same page regarding Fazio, though I do like Bulter and Wade Hampton...

I'm guilty! 

Hell throw in The Preserve too...

That's it though!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back