News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Leenheer

Larry Packard & Brent Wadsworth Information
« on: January 08, 2012, 02:23:48 PM »
I am looking for any and all information on Larry Packard & Brent Wadsworth.  I have found a biography on Mr. Packard (which is now on order), but would love if anyone could share some insights or information with me on either gentlemen.
Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Dick Kirkpatrick

Dick Kirkpatrick

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Larry Packard & Brent Wadsworth Information
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 08:20:34 AM »
Joe,

I know both Brent and Larry from over the years.  I actually started out disliking LP, mostly because he seemed to beat my mentors, Killian and Nugent out of jobs more often than not.  Then, at one of those interviews, I went with Dick and Ken and met him.  Booming voice, impecaable manners, etc.  I saw right away what a great salesman he must have been.

Also had the pleasure of playing golf with him several times, mostly at ASGCA, but he graciously invited my then 12 year old son and I to play Innisbrook with him when we were in Florida, while his wife took my daughters to one of the pools.  He was the kind of guy you liked you kids to hang around with a while, just to teach them that snotty comebacks they saw in sitcoms weren't the way classy men lived their lives!  Like MacKenzie, he was a pretty bad golfer most of his life, but got better with age.

I always liked his architecture - esp. the Copperhead - but it is well rooted in the 50's style, so many here may not appreciate it.  Also, he tended to think the 90's upscale coruses were just too darn hard.  His courses are usually a nice walk and moderate challenge.  His bunkers had an interesting style.  Nicely shaped and always pretty shallow.  Of course, his wildly free form tees at Innisbrook were trendsetters for a long time, and I put one in at Firekeeper last year....everyone loves that free form tee, so maybe its time for them to make a comeback!

Of course, coming out of the Harris office, there is some belief - which both men admit to a degree - that Brent helped him with his artistic style at Innisbrook and elsewhere.

I also recall he had a long time draftsman named, I think, Al Podaroka, who stayed with him until retirement age.  Larry kept working, sometimes using his son Roger or his firm as draftsman.  Larry told me some of that was to help his son, who has achieved some success in the biz, but also did more work that Larry sold to his old clients.  Larry went to Egypt on some sort of business mentoring program in his 70's or 80's and did at least one course there.

Larry was the first prez of the "new ASGCA" (when we hired our first Exec Director) and was largely responsible for those jackets and some transition from a small club like group to a real professional organization. 

Overall, a life well lived and a career well built.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 09:03:23 PM »
Fantastic stuff Jeff!

I've recently accepted a position at Silver Lake Country Club, a Packard/Wadsworth design in Stow, OH. I'm not familiar with their work or style. Would love some pics of the tee you put in.  Come spring I'll be posting a photo tour and would love the opinion of all here on our current architecture and design.

Thanks!
Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 09:57:31 PM »
Joe,
A book called, "Driving the Green", (the making of a golf course) by John Strawn, is about the building of Ironhorse, designed by Arthur Hills and built by his best friend, Brent Wadsworth.

He (and his company) features heavily throughout the book.
@theflatsticker

Brett_Morrissy

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 03:41:34 PM »
I have played three Lary Packard Courses that I know of:

Leslie Park GC (Ann Arbor, MI) the front 9 there are by Mr. Packard.
Bay City CC (Bay City, MI)

Thanks,

Chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back