News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Re: Which great players did NOT get involved with course design?
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2012, 10:40:34 PM »
Sam Morrow -

I don't know if Billy Casper ever designed a course from scratch, but his golf course management company (or at least the company with his name on it) is one of the largest in the business. It is hard to imagine he did not get his hands in the dirt at some point along the way.

DT

Sam Morrow

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2012, 10:41:58 PM »
Sam Morrow -

I don't know if Billy Casper ever designed a course from scratch, but his golf course management company (or at least the company with his name on it) is one of the largest in the business. It is hard to imagine he did not get his hands in the dirt at some point along the way.

DT

I know about his company but just never heard his name mentioned in doing any work.

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2012, 10:48:47 PM »
Sam Morrow -

DT

I know about his company but just never heard his name mentioned in doing any work.

Billy Casper was paired with Greg Nash. They had a presence in Phoenix for many years and did numerous residential subdivision golf courses - many for the Del Webb Company's retirement communities in Arizona and Nevada.  Not sure of Billy Casper's design role - but the company was known as "Casper | Nash"

Sam Morrow

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2012, 10:50:29 PM »
Sam Morrow -

DT

Billy Casper was paired with Greg Nash. They had a presence in Phoenix for many years and did numerous residential subdivision golf courses - many for the Del Webb Company's retirement communities in Arizona and Nevada.  Not sure of Billy Casper's design role - but the company was known as "Casper | Nash"

Thanks!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2012, 10:50:57 PM »
Sam Morrow -

DT

A list of courses that Casper designed. Primarily in Arizona, Calif and Nevada. :

http://www.worldgolf.com/golf-architects/billy-casper.html

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Sam Morrow

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2012, 10:59:17 PM »
Is Nash the guy working with Mickelson?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2012, 11:02:09 PM »
Did Tommy Armour do any design work?

astavrides

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2012, 11:38:54 PM »
arnold palmer

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2012, 03:09:25 AM »

I'm sure my employees would say much the same about me!

;D

Tim Leahy

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2012, 06:46:30 PM »
Byron Nelson?
Lee Trevino?
Ben Hogan?

I played a course in Mazatlan in Mexico associated with the El Cid hotel that was supposedly designed by Trevino. It was lined with palm trees and every par 4/5 was a dogleg right.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2012, 10:08:21 PM »
Young Tom Morris?

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2012, 11:12:18 PM »
Nelson also designed the very good Avocet at Wild Wing Plantation (the only 18 holer they kept) with our own Jeff Brauer.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2012, 11:38:34 PM »
Jimmy Demaret was involved with Onion Creek, birthplace of The Champions Tour. I don't know about Craig Wood though. How about 2 of the most underrated golfers over, did Larry Nelson or Billy Casper ever design a course?

Larry Nelson did the Opryland hotel course in Nashville which briefly had a Champions Tour event. My dad played it once.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Mike_Young

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2012, 11:42:24 PM »
With the exception of Jack Nicklaus I would say most have been about as involved in golf design ans Eddie Bauer was in the Ford Bronco Designs with his name on them... ;)
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2012, 10:36:30 AM »
Twenty years ago, Ron Whitten and I used to have a running competition to name the best player who hadn't yet put his name on a course design, and the most unlikely player who had.  It was really crazy how many guys were involved somehow.  My favorite in the latter category was Howard Twitty.

Jud_T

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2012, 03:28:20 PM »
Moe Norman?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Greg Tallman

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2012, 03:38:29 PM »
Byron Nelson?
Lee Trevino?
Ben Hogan?

I played a course in Mazatlan in Mexico associated with the El Cid hotel that was supposedly designed by Trevino. It was lined with palm trees and every par 4/5 was a dogleg right.

Marina 9 at El Cid... horrific, truly horrific. Lived in Mazatlan for 3 years and glad I got out... alive.

Dan King

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2012, 03:41:23 PM »
If you count being involved with course design as hitting the opening drive, then you are going to have a hard time finding any great players not involved. If you count actual design work, the list is long.

Cheers,
Dan King
A big-name winner like Palmer is a modern King Midas. Everything he drinks, smokes, wears or drives can turn to gold. All he has to do is testify, yes, that's what I put on my hair, smoke, drink, wear, drive, swing and hit.
  --Tony Lema

Jason Topp

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2012, 04:50:42 PM »
arnold palmer

Best response of the thread!

Will MacEwen

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2012, 04:53:18 PM »
Twenty years ago, Ron Whitten and I used to have a running competition to name the best player who hadn't yet put his name on a course design, and the most unlikely player who had.  It was really crazy how many guys were involved somehow.  My favorite in the latter category was Howard Twitty.

I might see your Howard Twitty and raise you a Dave Barr.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2012, 04:53:48 PM »
Is Nash the guy working with Mickelson?

His work at Whisper Rock (Lower) was with Gary Stephenson.

Greg Nash is on his own: http://www.gregnashdesign.com/#!

In looking at it, I've played more Greg Nash courses than any other designer.

Tim Martin

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2012, 05:02:38 PM »
Jimmy Demaret was involved with Onion Creek, birthplace of The Champions Tour. I don't know about Craig Wood though. How about 2 of the most underrated golfers over, did Larry Nelson or Billy Casper ever design a course?

Larry Nelson did the Opryland hotel course in Nashville which briefly had a Champions Tour event. My dad played it once.

Nelson also did Centennial in Carmel NY. I can`t say I am a fan of this one.

David Bartman

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2012, 07:54:45 PM »
Nearly every very good player is asked at some point to become involved at least a little in a local project.  This doesn't stop at Tour pros, it extends to good local amateurs as well.  Jay Sigel, for example, was involved when we built the first course at Stonewall ... he just didn't want to be listed as a co-designer because he valued his amateur status.

Why would being a golf course designer make you pro?  It seems its just the same as being a caddy?  or someone who works for a golf equipment company.  This is assuming he actually contributed to design of the course and wasn't just using his name recognition to promote the course. 
Still need to play Pine Valley!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back