News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

Re: Who on GCA has served on their Club/Course's Green Committee?
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 09:21:28 PM »
 ??? ??? ???
I was the green committee lol.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 09:25:05 PM »
Ed

Yes, I've read them all.  No comment !

Wise move Sir, you folks have done some spectacular work. Rated the course a few years ago.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Keith Phillips

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2012, 10:20:52 PM »
Have served on many committees and am now on Board and just finished first year as Greens Chair - that role will last as long as they'll have me - I LOVE IT - we have completed a 'renovation' encompassing reconstruction of all bunkers, subsurface drainage work on most greens, complete rebuilds of four greens (a la Merion thread), selective tree removal etc - complete irrigation project scheduled for 2014 - I have been blessed to be surrounded by competent caring professionals, and only wish we had more money to complete build staff and remove more trees - it is amazing that, having removed several hundred trees we still have thousands that could/should go

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, 11:03:37 PM »
Have served on many committees and am now on Board and just finished first year as Greens Chair - that role will last as long as they'll have me - I LOVE IT - we have completed a 'renovation' encompassing reconstruction of all bunkers, subsurface drainage work on most greens, complete rebuilds of four greens (a la Merion thread), selective tree removal etc - complete irrigation project scheduled for 2014 - I have been blessed to be surrounded by competent caring professionals, and only wish we had more money to complete build staff and remove more trees - it is amazing that, having removed several hundred trees we still have thousands that could/should go

Keith,

I too, loved it.
My tenure as Green Chairman and Project Chairman were labors of love.

Board meetings probably less so because of the number of Board members.

At one club where I was on the Board, there were 12 Board members and the President.
Meetings rarely took an hour.
At another club where I was on the Board, there were 24 Board members, plus former Presidents and the sitting President.
Those meetings lasted for 3 to 5 hours or more ..... Yikes.

However, I still remember the words of one of my mentors, Farky Needleman,  "No good deed shall go unpunished"  Sad but true in many cases.

Keep up the good work.

Ed Oden

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2012, 11:27:24 PM »
Just completed my 3rd year on our greens committee.  We're pretty much on cruise control and there haven't been any significant projects during my tenure.  However, it's the rudimentary stuff that really gives you an appreciation of your super and crew.  I can't say enough about ours.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 12:11:27 AM »
Green Chair for four years on a 1/2 Langford - 1/2 Gill course. Still on the committee - last two.

Used what I learned from this site and connections, especially Ron Prichard, to:

1- Begin Tree management (lots).
2- Expand greens out to edges of fill pads.
3- Expand some fairways to original widths.
4- Convince board to hire Ron Prichard to do master plan.
5- Hire Kye Goalby to implement some of the master plan.
6- Turn off the water (as much as possible).

Changed the world, but sadly, could not get traction.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 12:16:25 AM by Mike McGuire »

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 12:30:11 AM »
Took over greens committee chair last year and have really enjoyed it.  We are in the midst of USGA recommended
  greens improvement program and everything has gone better than we thought.  Unfortunately being a member of
  a non equity club doesn't give you much clout, but administration does listen to our input.  I think if you want your
  course to be maintained you need to get involved especially to educate members.  Of course, we couldn't prevent the
  owner from putting in a new wedding site in the middle of the frickin' golf course that looks out onto one of our nice lakes.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 04:06:00 AM »
On Rolling Green greens committee for 25 years.  I'm getting old.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 05:42:15 AM »
Current Club Captain, (committee of 7) - my 6th full year on the committee, and sit on Greens, 6 members plus Super, GM and a course Architect(original).
Great Management and staff, supportive Board and a young club with 2 courses with different turfs and different land.
@theflatsticker

Greg Holland

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2012, 07:15:12 AM »
Served a term on Green Committee -- including the period while we renovated one of our courses and dealt with water supply issues on the other.  Our Super and his crews are really good.  Very interesting experience and I enjoyed it very much.  For GCA types, it can be frustrating.  As an example, one of the first requests I heard was that we should put a bunker down the length of one side on a very good, canted hole so a member's ball would quit going into the creek every time he played.  Argh.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2012, 08:35:39 AM »
I was on G&G for 3 years and on Board for four, three years as Treasurer and one as VP.  Our major renovation during my stint was personnel changes, which in turn brought improvements in the ways we maintained our greens, bunkers, rough and trees.  No major projects but I hear our 22 year old irrigation system needs to be fully replaced. 

At our club the max you can serve on a Committee or the Board is three years before taking at least a year off.  I understand the various reasons for it but in certain circumstances, IMO mostly in Green & Grounds, I would allow longer tenures – the education process takes way too long and most rookie G&G members do (or try to do) more harm than good. 

BCrosby

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2012, 09:36:20 AM »
I have been Green Comm chair for a couple of years. Was on Green Comm for a couple of years before that. I am also the interface guy with the architecture firm that did the master plan for our courses, a role that might follow me to my grave. But happily so. I enjoy the work and am honored that I was asked to take it on. I've also met a number of people I would not have otherwise gotten to know who are now friends.

Bob   

David Royer

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2012, 12:55:08 PM »
I serve on the Green Committe and have found it to be a great experience.  The opportunity to learn so many aspects about your course is great.  The projects are always of interest.  Rebuilding tees, bunkers, master plans, tree management, etc is rewarding.  Probably the best part is riding around with the Super learning about the ecology of the course.  I highly recommend it.  It's also an opportunity to educate other members on why wet wilt occurs and other sundry issues that reoccur every season.  I'll miss the committee when my tenure ends.

JR Potts

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2012, 09:58:44 PM »
I currently serve on mine...and it has been an awesome experience.  The insight you get into the daily workings is just amazing,

Plus, we're now removing 986 trees on one course as we speak and Tom Doak is rehabbing another course next year....so good things are happening and it's great to be a part of.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 10:08:28 PM by JR Potts »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2012, 11:53:16 AM »
Having absolutely no experience with this sort of thing...

I'm really starting to wonder if its really no different than anything else based on these varied responses

There are bad jobs and good jobs
There are good golf courses and bad golf courses
There are good places to get a drink after work, and bad places
There are good relationships and bad relationships.
There are good friends and bad friends.

Doesn't sound like there is anything intrinsicly brutal about serving on a Green Committee...its just another thing.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2012, 01:03:29 PM »

Been on a greens committee before and here are my thoughts

1) Great experience to learn if you have a good superintendant

2) Horrible experience if you club is considering / debtaing a renovation. 

Remember that you are on the committee that would be recommending the biggest capital expenditures for the membership.   If your club is considering this, I would stay far away from the greens committee / board.

Craig Disher

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2012, 01:05:47 PM »
Greens committee member at two clubs, for a while Chairman at one of them.  I can't say it was enjoyable given the widely differing views of the membership on the decisions that had to be made on a major - and expensive - renovation project.

Stuart Goldstein

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2012, 09:48:19 PM »
Greens Chairman for a few years(retained Tripp Davis for master plan-never got executed) and Golf Chairman for a couple, including being on the Board.  My wife gave me the nickname "Got a Sec" because wherever I went someone would come up to me and say "Stuart, got a sec..."

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2012, 11:18:18 PM »
I have been on the committee, also served as the Club President.

While on the committee I was involved in a new irrigation system, a significant drainage program, asignificant  redesign of two holes and several new tees.

My thoughts are in general a poor way to operate a business.  Way too many people with too little knowledge of the area meddling with the person who is the hired expert.  Also too much club politics and influential membership dictating things outside of the Green Commitee.

My theory is you higher an expert.  Set standards and the job of the greens committee is to be checking that those standards are being met.  The experts in the fields job is to meet e standards or explain why not, either from a cost perspective or a risk perspective.  The only other the is to be a
liaison to the membership about how and why things are done and educate folks on the facts about conditions, costs and plans.

When I was on it I didn't know anything.  I didn't act like I did either.  I did know that the club couldn't afford the increased debt load of all these projects but was out voted by the build it and they will come folks.

A few years later while the club was failing due to the increased debt load mentioned above.  I became club President.  This was in 2009 a very tough summer weather in e North East.  We ended up losing one green and had trouble on 4 more.  That condition problem became the nail in the coffin for my club and it was sold in 2011 and is now a semi private.

I learned a ton at that point.  From that experience I have formed a somewhat different point of view on how to run things.  I still strongly beleive in the committees role to be setting, monitoring and enforcing standards but I know think it's quite important to bring in outside experts to get a second opinion from what your expert thnks.  I brought in the USGA agronomy folks to help us with our issues but it was too late.  Had I done it a year earlier with a much stronger knowledge base I woud have implemented substaintial changes that the super either didn't know or understand or was afraid to rock the boat with the club experts.  We were failing to do small inexpensive things that would help turf in stressful times because of small dollars and lack of knowledge.

I think it is very helpful to have an independent second opinion that don't carry the membership politics as well as job security issues for your eensn staff from disgruntled membership politics as the boards and committees change faces.

With that information in hand a solid plan can be implemented and blamed on the consultant (just like a lot of businesses). It makes the politics easier.

In the end my club experiences were very interesting and I learned a ton from the experience.  Despite failing to save the club I feel it was a very positive experience.

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2012, 11:03:40 AM »
I have been on my club's greens' committee for 6 years.  I was chair last year.

During that time we have:
1.  Redone the bunkers once and since replaced the sand (the first sand was horrible and turned to mud when it rained) - now have pro angle sand which is a big improvement.  Unfortunately, this was underway when I joined and I couldn't add much input.
2.  Gassed and regressed the greens -  had penn links bent that had been overtaken as much as 50+% by poa and replaced with 007.  Last year we reopened in May and it was great until mid July when the weather killed us - lost parts of collars and some green edges (of course the year before the extreme heat killed all the poa so the greens were awful then too).  The new grass bounced back well in the fall and I am hopeful for the coming year.
3.  During the greens project, the local sewer district came through and built a new sewer line through the middle of the course.  Couldn't have asked for better timing and the easement fees helped pay for some improvements - including some fairway grading and new & redesigned tee boxes.

We have a good. knowledgable super who takes listens to the committee's input and then does what he thinks best (luckily for the club).  I really haven't seen a lot of outside influences or politics and I think things work reasonably well.  I wanted to be on greens because of my interest in GCA, thanks to this site.  While I was fortunate enough to see a few major projects come to fruition, I learned the day to day activities of a greens committee is more about aeration, what fertilizers are being applied, equipment that needs to be purchased, etc.

I also learned perspective.  When I was a new member on the greens committee, we were shown of a new design for a hole that would have involved taking some excess land.  I was really excited about the opportunity because I thought it was a great design.  From a GCA perspective, it was a no brainer to go ahead.  However, the larger perspective gained from serving on other committees and on the board, I realized the cost implications of that action and had second thoughts.  The hole has remained unchanged.

I just finished a four year term on the board and was president year before last.  For the most part it was a positive experience.  Having seen what makes the club work, I really understand what is important and what isn't.  Especially when I was president, I felt it was very much "my" club - as in why are people not taking care of ballparks on "my" greens. 

The biggest issue was the complaints of other members.  I didn't mind the constructive criticism or genuine complaints, but too often it was essentially put in a tone of "you guys are the biggest bunch of idiots (to put it nicely) that I have ever seen and I can't believe..."  Maybe its just me, but I have never found that to be a good way of getting things done.  Luckily, it didn't happen too often and many people expressed their appreciation for our efforts. 

I also was chairman of the entertainment committee for 2 years - that caused me more headaches than the greens committee!

In all, a great way to learn how the club is run, how the golf course is kept up and what makes the club successful overall.  I would recommend it, but make sure people have their eyes open before jumping in.
Steve Pozaric

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2012, 11:42:03 AM »
I've been the green chairman for 2 years and along with our very capable superintendent have focused our energy on grassing lines, removing trees/bushes that intrude on play, fairway drainage and bunker clean-out program.  We had to rebuild a green last year, converting an old push-up green to USGA after it failed agronomically due to awful drainage.

The fairway drainage program has been such a success in our heavy soils, the members are constantly asking to keep pushing forward with more work. Our worst fairways that were unplayable after a 2" rain can now handle cart traffic the next morning after a similar rain event. We bought a trencher with a laser attachment to grade the bottom of the trenches and installed slit trenches backfilled with sand in a herringbone pattern every 20 feet along the problem fairways. It has done wonders towards achieving firmer and faster conditions.

TK

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back