News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMEvensky

Royal Melbourne Book--Mike Clayton
« on: January 04, 2012, 01:32:39 PM »
I wanted the book but also wanted Mike to inscribe something before mailing.With a couple of e-mails,Mike graciously arranged for the club to hold a copy,went over and inscribed it,and had RM send it.

The book is spectacular--a great addition to anyone's library.

So,a public thanks and congratulations to Mike Clayton.

Howard Riefs

Re: Royal Melbourne Book--Mike Clayton
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 04:04:11 PM »
Looks like a very nice book.

Info on the book from the RM website, where Doak says it's "a simply beautiful book."
http://www.royalmelbourne.com.au/guests/CourseBook.mhtml

Also, here's a Q&A with Clayton and Shackelford:
http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2011/11/13/qa-with-mike-clayton.html

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 04:11:14 PM »
Looks fantastic and a worthy addition to the golf library. Thanks for posting.
H.P.S.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 01:08:49 AM »
What is staggering is the absurd cost of overseas postage.I just sent a book to a friend in Spain (not the RM book which would be more expensive because of the weight) and it cost $59. The book was only $39!!

Greg Thomsen

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 06:05:59 AM »
Gday Mike,

Got the book, its a ripper. One thing that strikes me is the heathland type landscapes which are incredible. They kind of look unmaintained but I would imagine a fair bit of work goes into them, any idea roughly what kind of manpower goes into keeping it looking so good ??

Cheers,

Greg

Anthony Butler

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 11:09:36 AM »
What is staggering is the absurd cost of overseas postage.I just sent a book to a friend in Spain (not the RM book which would be more expensive because of the weight) and it cost $59. The book was only $39!!
Mike... I thought Australia Post offered a lower rate for books? I recall sending a box of books (at least 15lbs) to the US for about $70-75 not so long ago...
Next!

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 11:15:06 AM »

Mike

Is the book likely to be published in the UK at any point ?

Niall

jonathan_becker

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 11:44:10 AM »

$90 to get it to Ohio!!!!

It's a great book though and I'm glad I ordered it.  RM one day. 

JMEvensky

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 11:53:14 AM »

$90 to get it to Ohio!!!!

It's a great book though and I'm glad I ordered it.  RM one day. 

I didn't want to mention this part--it was the same $90 AUS to Memphis.We should have had RMGC ship 2 copies to someplace between us and shared the postage.

Still,I hope the postage doesn't keep anyone from buying the book.Years from now,I'll have forgotten the shipping cost--but I'll always be able to look through a great book on a great golf course.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 11:57:27 AM »
JME,

At this point, I'm not too worried about the $90 because the book is great.  And the mints are printing more cash as I type this post!  :)

John Mayhugh

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 12:21:03 PM »
I purchased Dr. Green's book, but fortunately he had made arrangements to have copies shipped from the west coast so the shipping cost was quite reasonable ($12).  I haven't bought Clayton's book yet due to that $90 shipping charge.

Has anyone checked to see what sort of volume shipping discount there might be?  It might be worthwhile for one of us to facilitate a larger purchase.

David Royer

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 12:40:26 PM »
The $90 seemed way out of line.  If there is a work around I interested.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 01:18:52 PM »
Niall,

The book won't be published anywhere outside Australia. The only way to get a copy is through the club.

Greg,

Like a lot of things the heath looks like it is very low maintenance - but my guess is the staff spend time on it trimming and thinning.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back