News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Courses really close to the Ocean that don't get noticed
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2012, 08:44:39 PM »
Kalen,

I was thinking of no more than 1 mile

Bill_McBride

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2012, 10:13:34 PM »

And how about the golf course on Dauphin Island, Alabama?

I understand, from guy who played there the week it closed recently, Dauphin Island is NLE. 

Sam Morrow

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2012, 11:22:11 PM »

And how about the golf course on Dauphin Island, Alabama?

I understand, from guy who played there the week it closed recently, Dauphin Island is NLE. 

Didn't see or hear of a course over there, can we count Kiva? Sorry Bill tell me about the back 9 being plain. ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2012, 02:26:37 PM »
Kalen,

I was thinking of no more than 1 mile

That sounds like a doable benchmark as well.

Given that, I'd say you pretty much have your list for the Left Coast then, because I don't think there are too many other courses that can be added given that criteria.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2012, 03:08:21 PM »
Hammock Beach in Palm Coast Fla.  ,  formerly Ocean Hammock.............is fun to play.

Agree

I really enjoyed that one too - lots of ocean frontage and super fun in spots.

I've never seen anyone every mention it here.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2012, 03:15:18 PM »
Hammock Beach in Palm Coast Fla.  ,  formerly Ocean Hammock.............is fun to play.
Agree

I really enjoyed that one too - lots of ocean frontage and super fun in spots.

I've never seen anyone every mention it here.

Ian,

I actually did a photo tour way back around the time I was first joined GCA.  It got very little attention and feedback so I'll provide the link:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,34451.0.html

David_Tepper

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2012, 03:26:20 PM »
Kalen B. -

One other California  course within 1 mile of the ocean is Aptos Seascape, just south of Santa Cruz. I have never played it and don't know how exposed it is to the wind off the ocean.

Harding Park is certainly within a mile of the ocean and the Presidio is within a mile of the Golden Gate Bridge.

DT

Kalen Braley

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2012, 03:37:10 PM »
Good call David,

I was set to play it years ago, but the trip fell thru.

I think we should also note that Del Monte and Monterey Pines go on this list!!  ;D

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2012, 03:49:17 PM »
Could the argument be made for the Links at Brigantine?

I think a lot of the other "coast" courses in NJ, on the mainland, are more than a mile in from the ocean.  Brigantine is the only course, excepting the Ocean City pitch and putt, on a barrier island here.
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2012, 03:58:48 PM »
Doug and I were typing at the same time. Brigantine.
I don't recall many details from my round in the late '80s-only that, to this day, the toughest and windiest day I've ever spent on a golf course was in late November at Brigantine. That round humbled a couple of college athletes who thought they could handle those conditions with ease.

PCCraig

« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2012, 04:03:20 PM »
How about the Ocean Course at the Breakers. Dates back to 1896, somewhat recently renovated by Silva:

H.P.S.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2012, 06:32:06 PM »
If Sandpiper is an example, then ocean side courses may not get rave reviews because they frankly aren't very good and certainly didn't take advantage of a sensational location.

Bill, I know you know the Santa Barbara area well, what are your criticism's of Sandpiper? I used to play SP alot and I think it is better than Torrey Pines and has a couple of spectacular holes, 11 and 13, but it doesn't  get the credit it deserves. It can play difficult and the greens have some pretty good breaks.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 01:48:32 PM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2012, 06:59:40 PM »
PCraig,

I forgot about the Breakers, Boca Raton and Pacific Grove.

David Tepper,

How would you rate Pacific Grove ?
Is it right on the Ocean ?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2012, 07:02:09 PM »
Would the MPCC courses qualify?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

David_Tepper

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2012, 07:05:19 PM »
Pat M. -

The back nine at Pacific Grove is indeed on the ocean and is as exposed as any of the holes on any of the courses on the Monterey Peninsula. The front nine is decidedly more inland.

I only played there once and shot my lowest score on any golf course ever, so I kind of like it! ;)

DT

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2012, 07:15:45 PM »
Would the MPCC courses qualify?

Mac,

I'm not so sure that MPCC doesn't get noticed.

Seems like the reviews have been pretty solid over the years

David Tepper,

Would you recommend going out of your way to play there ?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2012, 07:16:03 PM »
Pat,

The back 9 at Pacific Grove is a 5 or a 6...The front 9 is a 2 at most....

It really is a tale of two courses..

P.S.  I thought we already conceded that the Monterey Penisula courses were the exception to the rule.  I just threw in Monterey Pines to be a bit flippant!!  ;)

David_Tepper

« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2012, 07:43:24 PM »
"Would you recommend going out of your way to play there ?"

Pat M. -

The conventional wisdom is that, if you have a late morning or mid-day teetime at one of the classier courses on the Monterey Peninsula, get over to Pacific Grove between 7:00am-8:00am so you can tee off on #10 and play the back-nine. I endorse that wisdom.

P.S. I think Deal GC (NJ) is within a mile of the Jersey shore.

DT
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:02:04 PM by David_Tepper »

Mike Benham

« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2012, 12:43:39 AM »
Kalen B. -

One other California  course within 1 mile of the ocean is Aptos Seascape, just south of Santa Cruz. I have never played it and don't know how exposed it is to the wind off the ocean.

Technically Seascape Golf Club is east of Santa Cruz and it is off Monterey Bay, not the ocean and therefore not eligible ;)   

And as a golf course it is over-priced, claustrophobic and you don't really know if the water is a mile or 10 miles away.

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Adam Clayman

« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2012, 09:50:08 AM »
Lincoln Park in San Francisco has the bones to be very good. It doesn't get any due, just typical municipal bureaucratic patronage filled doo doo.
Having been forced to slog through the mud at Lincoln Park for the SF City Amateur on several occasions, it is a Doak 1 at best... and only because of the 16th hole, where Asian brides politely take advantage of your 10-15 minute wait on the tee to have their wedding pictures taken.

The journey that Lincoln park takes one on, is better than most journeys, anywhere. The conditions are not germane to the bones of the architecture. Routing, being the skeleton. There's quirk, elevation changes and decent lateral movement for an urban design.

The varied settings are also a strength. Too bad you missed it.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike Benham

« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2012, 12:35:13 PM »
Lincoln Park in San Francisco has the bones to be very good. It doesn't get any due, just typical municipal bureaucratic patronage filled doo doo.
Having been forced to slog through the mud at Lincoln Park for the SF City Amateur on several occasions, it is a Doak 1 at best... and only because of the 16th hole, where Asian brides politely take advantage of your 10-15 minute wait on the tee to have their wedding pictures taken.

The journey that Lincoln park takes one on, is better than most journeys, anywhere. The conditions are not germane to the bones of the architecture. Routing, being the skeleton. There's quirk, elevation changes and decent lateral movement for an urban design.

The varied settings are also a strength. Too bad you missed it.

Sometimes Adam talks in riddles but he has Lincoln right, assuming I deciphered his prose correctly.

At a par of 68, it is an anomaly in course rating as even a scratch golfer will have a tough time playing to their handicap on the 5,146 yard, 65.9 / 106 rated course ...

And Anthony, it is the 17th tee that overlooks the Golden Gate and draws the tourists ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2012, 01:08:04 PM »
RE: Lincoln--

I really like the terrain for the 3 holes on the front nine on the other side of the road nearest the ocean; I believe these to be existing from the original layout.

The original course was THE course in the Bay Area and held nearly all big tournaments.  It was almost treeless and had 360 degree views of the Ocean, City, Bay, and Golden Gate Inlet.  While I was doing research for Berkeley CC last year, I came across a whole handful of images of Lincoln Park, and the course looked rather spectacular.  I unfortunately did not scan any, but if you have access to old copies of The Fairway or Pacific Golf and Motor magazines, do check it out.  Maybe Tully can help us out.

The modern course is an interesting walk as is with building architecture and old Chinese mausoleums and monuments all scattered through the property.  But sadly, yes, this iteration of the golf course is largely lacking and suffers from years of maintenance malpractice and thatch/mud.  Still worth at least one play.
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2012, 01:13:35 PM »
David,

Deal is within a mile and a nice sporty course.
It too flies under the radar and is a good call.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2012, 01:33:53 PM »
Lincoln Park is the one public I really regret never having played while living in the bay area.

On my next visit to the area, it will be a top priority...

Andy Stamm

« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2012, 02:18:36 PM »
What about Highland Links on Cape Cod?

I don't know if it really deserves more recognition or is underrated, but it looks pretty sporty, and it's definitely a great location. I've certainly wanted to play there for a long time. And, it's suposedly the rarest of breeds, an old American public links.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back