News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Courses really close to the Ocean that don't get noticed
« on: January 02, 2012, 01:04:52 PM »
Lost Tree is one of those courses.

Just a little south of Seminole, it's a very user friendly golf course, playable by a wide variety of handicaps.

Wide fairways, always a plus on windy sites, with about 14-16 directional changes, doglegs left and right and a nice mix of long, short and intermediate holes, it's a fun challenge.

It's a very, very easy walking course.

It's probably one of the better residential community courses I've seen, and with the advantage of being subjected to good winds, which change, probably one with greater playing variety.

Tight lies, F&F greens also make it fun.

What other courses, really close to the ocean, don't get noticed, or their due ?

Sandpiper in Goleta, CA ?

Bodega Harbor in Northern CA ?

Doug Wright

Re: Courses really close to the Ocean that don't get noticed
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 02:13:47 PM »
Pat,

I've felt this way about Dunbar. It has a number of very strong holes including seaside holes that are fun and challenging. Dunbar doesn't get the love of many other courses in the East Lothian area.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 02:23:06 PM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 02:16:38 PM »
Pat M. -

Bodega Harbor (north of San Francisco) likely does not get its due because it is due very little. The original nine holes (now the back nine) is OK, with 3 very good finishing holes along & thru the seaside/tidal marsh. The newer, front nine has two or three very poor holes that are routed up and down the side of a hill. It is about a 75-minute drive from the Golden Gate Bridge, but there is little at Bodega Harbor to compel one to make the trip.

The two seaside courses at Half Moon Bay are not terribly compelling either.

I have always enjoyed playing the course at Sea Ranch, 115 miles north of SF. It has some flaws and the Robert Muir Graves amoeba-shaped greens and bunkers do make the course seem rather dated, but the low key atmosphere there makes for a pleasant golf experience.

Given the length of the California coast line, it is surprising how little high quality golf is there, outside of the Monterey Peninsula.  

DT

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 03:38:55 PM »
If Sandpiper is an example, then ocean side courses may not get rave reviews because they frankly aren't very good and certainly didn't take advantage of a sensational location.

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 04:58:44 PM »
You know the more I think about it the California Coast is filled with a bunch of very mediocre golf courses, and it really is a shame.

To list them in order from South to North;
Torrey Pines South
Torrey Pines North
Pelican Hill North (Both got redone just recently by Fazio, but still haven't heard that good of reviews)
Pelican Hill South
Trump National Golf Club (this is probably the worst considering the site looking right out to Catalina Island)
Sandpiper Golf Course
Avila Beach Golf Resort
Half Moon Bay Ocean Course
Half Moon Bay Old Course
Bodega Harbor Golf Course
Sea Ranch Golf Course

That is 11 golf courses on pretty fantastic sites that all have very average golf courses.  Most of those courses are charging ridiculous rates around $200+.

Tim Nugent

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 05:08:36 PM »
I would like to see more on Indian Creek in North Miami.
A real big shame is so many Military courses occupy great sites and are really poor.  Topping that list is probably Navy/Marine Kanehoe, Oahu.
Peter, you forgot Monarch Bay and Rancho Palos Verde
Coasting is a downhill process

Andy Silis

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 05:48:09 PM »
Gulf Stream

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 06:33:12 PM »
Fort Ord and Pasa are pretty good courses that are influenced by the ocean.

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 06:57:48 PM »
On the East Coast, there are a number of courses in Maine that fit the bill.  The key is most are 9 holers, but they are a BLAST to play.

Grindstone Neck (9)
Abenakee (9)
North Haven (9)
Prouts Neck (18)

And here are two others outside of ME that I don't think get the proper recognition:

Sankaty Head (18)
Hay Harbor (9)

Terry Lavin

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 07:19:56 PM »
Peter:

That list is a testament to lost opportunity that's for sure.  You can add Monarch and Spanish Bay to get to an unlucky 13.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 09:45:26 PM »
I'd like to know more about the Everglades Club down that way.  Also, how is Riomar CC in Vero Beach?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Martin Toal

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 06:49:04 AM »
You know the more I think about it the California Coast is filled with a bunch of very mediocre golf courses, and it really is a shame.

To list them in order from South to North;
Torrey Pines South
Torrey Pines North
Pelican Hill North (Both got redone just recently by Fazio, but still haven't heard that good of reviews)
Pelican Hill South
Trump National Golf Club (this is probably the worst considering the site looking right out to Catalina Island)
Sandpiper Golf Course
Avila Beach Golf Resort
Half Moon Bay Ocean Course
Half Moon Bay Old Course
Bodega Harbor Golf Course
Sea Ranch Golf Course

That is 11 golf courses on pretty fantastic sites that all have very average golf courses.  Most of those courses are charging ridiculous rates around $200+.

Agreed on Torrey and Trump. The latter is a great example of a 'quart in a pint pot' course.

Monarch Beach is somewhere in the same category.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 07:06:19 AM »
Dorado Beach, especially the original 18, which was split up to form to 18 hole courses.

BCrosby

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 07:57:10 AM »
Ponte Vedra. A wonderful old Strong (rev. RTJ and Weed) course just off the ocean.

Bob
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 08:08:14 AM by BCrosby »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 10:49:43 AM »
Tedesco!

About 1/2 mile from the Ocean...we have a distant view from the top of the 16th fairway, and you can sometimes hear power boats on the water in the distance if the weather is calm.

Wogan/Stiles/Ross (only #12green).
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 12:25:48 PM »
David Tepper,

Tell me more about Bodega Harbor, the last 3 holes were terrific, especially # 16 from the upper tee.

When you say the newer front nine, could you date both nines.

Peter,

You can add Spanish Bay to your list.

Tom MacWood,

Dorado Beach (east) received pretty strong reviews when the resort was operational.

The original 18 was very good.

Tim,

I believe Everglades was a Raynor, although there was an interesting thread that discussed the course's history a few years ago.

Everglades is a short, tight, sporty course that Brian Silva renovated a few years ago.
I haven't played it subsequent to the renovation, so I can't comment on it

Terry Lavin

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 12:28:34 PM »
I only played the original Sawgrass CC once, but really enjoyed it.  Ed Seay was the architect, if memory serves.  Nobody talks about that place.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 12:38:38 PM »
Peter,

Your comment about mediocrity on oceanside course leads to the following question:

Did the architects exert less creative effort, figuring that the site and views would elevate the quality of the course ?

David Kelly

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 12:38:49 PM »
Given the length of the California coast line, it is surprising how little high quality golf is there, outside of the Monterey Peninsula.  

Given the existence of the California Coastal Commission it is not so surprising.

Coore & Crenshaw's Dos Pueblos golf couse which was slated to be built on the land just north of Sandpiper had great possibilities until axed by the CCC about 10 years ago.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 12:42:10 PM »
Lincoln Park in San Francisco has the bones to be very good. It doesn't get any due, just typical municipal bureaucratic patronage filled doo doo.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

David_Tepper

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 12:49:07 PM »
Pat M. -

Here is a link to info/history of the Bodega Bay course (that includes a link to pics of the course):

http://www.bodegaharbourgolf.com/layout10.asp?id=158&page=3975

The course did get a face-lift (renovated bunkering and bent grass greens) in 2007. I have not played there since well before then, so I cannot comment how the course currently looks & plays.

It may be time for a field trip! ;)

DT 

JMEvensky

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 01:05:40 PM »
Pat M. -

Here is a link to info/history of the Bodega Bay course (that includes a link to pics of the course):

http://www.bodegaharbourgolf.com/layout10.asp?id=158&page=3975

The course did get a face-lift (renovated bunkering and bent grass greens) in 2007. I have not played there since well before then, so I cannot comment how the course currently looks & plays.

It may be time for a field trip! ;)

DT 

Do they still have a problem with The Birds?

Anthony Butler

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 02:08:08 PM »
Lincoln Park in San Francisco has the bones to be very good. It doesn't get any due, just typical municipal bureaucratic patronage filled doo doo.
Having been forced to slog through the mud at Lincoln Park for the SF City Amateur on several occasions, it is a Doak 1 at best... and only because of the 16th hole, where Asian brides politely take advantage of your 10-15 minute wait on the tee to have their wedding pictures taken.

Next!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 02:16:55 PM »
Oregon Coast is littered with em.

Sandpines, Agate Beach, Salishan, Manzanita, Seaside, Gearhart,

JWL

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 02:19:54 PM »
Hammock Beach in Palm Coast Fla.  ,  formerly Ocean Hammock.............is fun to play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back