News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ed_getka

Re: GolfClubAtlas.com in 2012
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 11:09:07 AM »
Ran,
    Happy New Year. Thanks for this forum that has enriched our lives. From the camaraderie of outings, friendships formed, courses seen and played to authors and books (non-golf) and dining establishments that I have been turned on to by our amazing group of participants.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Doug Wright

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 03:56:50 PM »
Well said Ran (and others on this thread). Here's to a great 2012...
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 06:25:14 PM »
Barney aka John, You are not one of the guys I am mentioning. I am quick to jab you when i think you are being a bit off the wall or not respectful of an honest and heartfelt post by someone. Naturally this seems to happen mostly in the winter when being stuck indoors rules the day and night. lol Thank you for the thought, but this is Ran's site. He has done a tremendous job in this area over the decade I have been around here.  I would never be presumptuous enough to be a deputy without a badge.

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2012, 01:11:58 PM »
Golf has rules. Why not the forum. Just keep the number under 35 and don't include a decisions book.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2012, 01:14:57 PM »
Golf has rules. Why not the forum. Just keep the number under 35 and don't include a decisions book.

Didn't Callaway show us that Rule 35 is the most important? It doesn't matter if you walk, ride, use a GPS, drink a case of beer, or not give a rats ass who Donald Ross was, it's a game and having fun is the goal of the game and I hope the users of this site.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2012, 02:31:37 PM »
If I may criticize Ran's piece most respectfully, I believe it is very true, very heart-felt and very long. The main insight to me is hidden in-between paragraphs of good-will and pleading, I quote:
Regardless, frequent posters (defined as those who average posting more than once daily year after year) dictate the tone and should zealously guard the content of the web site. Unfortunately, this is not the case.
As these are only a handful of people, why not get them together in one room and sort out the problems? And give them some kind of responsibility (such as policing threads), that'll teach 'em. I'm serious, make the goat the gardener, it works most of the time.

Ulrich

A classic.  I had never been chided for slow play by someone ahead of me until the Buda this year.  Being the direct type myself, I appreciate the well-meaning candor.  I agree with John K, we're all big boys here; if there is a problem with offensive or boorish banter, a brief IM or E-Mail might diffuse it.  That's a far superior approach than the behind the scenes bad-mouthing that, unfortunately, goes on.  

Jason Topp

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2012, 12:53:50 AM »
Thanks for the message Ran.  The portion that resonates with me is trying to explain the reasons behind my opinions.  It is an interesting exercise and one that grows more difficult as time goes by. 

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2012, 05:51:44 PM »
Well, we're all a bit unattentive at times, that is just human. I once wrote a chauvinistic e-mail and sent it to everyone in the company. Way to gain notoriety. But there's no value in dwelling on negatives for too long. What people tend to respect is if you actually make an effort to learn and improve.

Internet forums and life in general would work a lot better if people owned up to their shit and everyone else just moved on.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Lou_Duran

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2012, 06:39:53 PM »
Well, we're all a bit unattentive at times, that is just human. I once wrote a chauvinistic e-mail and sent it to everyone in the company. Way to gain notoriety. But there's no value in dwelling on negatives for too long. What people tend to respect is if you actually make an effort to learn and improve.

Internet forums and life in general would work a lot better if people owned up to their shit and everyone else just moved on.

Ulrich

Amen!  I don't know about chauvinistic E-Mails, though I've stuck my foot in my mouth more than a few times.  My mantra should be two ears and one mouth, but my preference is for wide, varied discourse and candor.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 11:16:17 PM »
For me the discussion group is the heart and soul of the website. For new visitors (crucial to sustain this) when you click on "discussion group" in the main menu you are taken to a cryptic looking page.

I would take people directly to the discussion group page.

Could be a minor issue but you will lose new people who don't know where to go after they click on discussion group. An analytics program would reveal the bounce rate.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2012, 10:00:01 AM »
For me the discussion group is the heart and soul of the website. For new visitors (crucial to sustain this) when you click on "discussion group" in the main menu you are taken to a cryptic looking page.

I would take people directly to the discussion group page.

Could be a minor issue but you will lose new people who don't know where to go after they click on discussion group. An analytics program would reveal the bounce rate.

+1

It's isn't that obvious where you go next after that.

ChipOat

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2012, 10:21:21 PM »
Ran,

I also have noticed Mike Tanier's more irreverent tone in the last year, or so.  I have chosen to believe that this is at the behest of his (supposedly) distinguished employer who is doing their utmost to sell more advertising space and compete with the New York Post, as well.

However, your analogy is especially apt since I'm pretty sure that nobody who posts on Golf Club Atlas is beholden to anyone financially in how they do so.

Any content that is inappropriate is, alas, of their own free will and, IMO, their own poor judgement.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2012, 08:53:34 PM »
Great post, Ran.  I hope everyone remembers these rules apply to everyone, not just their clique of friends.  I especially hope that the people who suggest that others should be black-listed because they say things they disagree with about architecture or prices at courses are reminded of the guidelines or rebuked firmly.  Black-listing over opinions is not what GCA.com is about.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:55:12 PM by Jay Flemma »
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

paul cowley

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2012, 09:52:01 PM »
Thanks, Ran.

Your post brought something to mind.  I've realized that I never thought of the discussion board as the centre-piece and main value of this site -- I think the reviews and the my opinion pieces and the feature interviews are what the site is truly about, the main purpose/meaning of it. And I guess because of that, I've always been prone to post thoughts/ideas willy nilly, especially amongst a few friends, without much planning or thought.  But I see now that many take the discussion more seriously than I do. Don't get me wrong - I try to post intelligently, but to me it's a place to knock around and try out ideas, even if they are merely half-backed opinions.  But I see that this clutters up the space, and that there are many who know what they are talking about want to stay on point.  I'll be more conscious of that in the future.

Peter

NO NO NO MY FRIEND...YOU ARE FIBER AND FABRIC TO THIS SITE...NOT TOFU!

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 09:56:08 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Anthony Gray

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2012, 10:17:05 PM »
       Well there are worse things to be addicted to. Fourteen weeks of treatment have tought me that. You have created a monster Ran. I'm glad I'm still a part of it. I have many great friendships because of this site and  am greatful for them all. My golfing days are over but not my passion for architecture.                                                              Anthony. 

Sam Morrow

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2012, 10:19:54 PM »
       Well there are worse things to be addicted to. Fourteen weeks of treatment have tought me that. You have created a monster Ran. I'm glad I'm still a part of it. I have many great friendships because of this site and  am greatful for them all. My golfing days are over but not my passion for architecture.                                                              Anthony. 

Great to see you Doc!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back