News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ross Harmon

Longevity of Golf Course Architects!
« on: December 29, 2011, 11:09:27 AM »
Pete Dye is 86 today (or, as he would say, halfway to 172) and still working a pretty full schedule, RTJ Sr worked into his 90s... these guys are unbelieveable!

It's certainly alot of fun to look across their long careers and see how different times, technology and trends influenced them throughout the years. Also makes you wonder what we would have seen from some of the guys who passed on young though...

Goes to show that thesedays keeping busy and staying in shape really does lead to a long life! I think I'll head to the gym this morning...  :)

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Re: Longevity of Golf Course Architects!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
Eddie Hackett continued until his death at 86 years of age.

What say the architects on this DG; do you intend to keep working as long as your health allows you to?

Ian Andrew

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 11:02:10 AM »
Ross,

During the 1930's most architects retired because of a lack of projects.
Look for that trend to eventually return.

I think a lot of famous names will unwind their businesses in the next few years.
There is at least six or seven major architects in the 70's or 80's.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 11:08:48 AM »
I would be curious if any architects here have thought about whether they plan to retire or will they just work till they can't.

I expect I might be the exception, because I've thought seriously about other things I would like to do. This may stem from the fact that I was very lucky and found myself in the business right away.

I'm closing in on 25 years.
If I haven't accomplished my goals in 20 more, a few more years in the business is not going to change that.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 01:05:27 PM by Ian Andrew »

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 11:56:48 AM »
Ian
At this point and since I started I haven't seen me stopping until it was too hard to travel - assuming I could manage my workload.
At the rate I'm going I should be able to walk a long time
Check out Helio at age 91:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQmz1YDVt3c
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 05:08:49 PM »
Rod Whitman and I have talked about this numerous times. We agree that it's pretty hard to 'retire' when you don't feel like you have a 'job'. In other words, if we were independently wealthy and didn't have to 'work', we'd be doing exactly what we do every day now. So, 'retirement' isn't really an option.
jeffmingay.com

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 05:56:06 PM »
Jeff>

X2

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 06:10:05 PM »
And Mr. Cornish has ten years on Mr. Dye!

When I was starting out in the business, I heard Mr. Dye say once that he was never really going to retire, if he didn't have something to build they might as well just put him in a box.  I always took the same attitude.  But, I'm starting to think that I WILL retire, or at least semi-retire, and just collaborate on projects when something cool comes along.  And maybe sooner rather than later.  

I've achieved a lot of the goals I had, and am having a hard time coming up with more [apart from a certain special project in Brazil, to prove that I can do championship golf, after all].  

More importantly, I've been so busy running around the world the past ten years, that I haven't had much time to enjoy the places I've been, or even to enjoy the courses that I've built.  And that's always been the whole point of it for me.  What I really need is a sabbatical -- but my employees don't agree, and neither do my clients right now!

Matt Kardash

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 03:04:11 PM »
Also, Alice was into design as well, so she travelled a lot with Pete. I would imagine it would be very difficult to have a wife and family when you are hardly ever home. I would imagine that sustaining a relationship would be difficult in this line of work.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 03:12:11 PM »
Also, Alice was into design as well, so she travelled a lot with Pete. I would imagine it would be very difficult to have a wife and family when you are hardly ever home. I would imagine that sustaining a relationship would be difficult in this line of work.

Matt:

Yes, but as one fellow divorced golf architect once pointed out to me, it is difficult to sustain a relationship in ANY line of work.  We're not really that special!

Matt Kardash

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 03:37:07 PM »
Tom,

With respect, I disagree. When the relationship is right it is not difficult to maintain your relationship. It however does become difficult when the relationship is wrong. A relationship never feels like work when it is right. At least, that has been my experience.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 03:38:47 PM by matt kardash »
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 02:58:59 PM »
 I would think Golf Architecture is like any profession where self employment or small firms tend to be the rule. You can work as long as your health allows and people want to hire you.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:19:37 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 04:39:20 PM »
Some gca's work until 90 because they want to, others will have to work because they have to......

One thing that I think will affect my plans to keep taking on projects as they come until at least 70 (health willing) is that the older types who did it that I knew had their old clients keep calling.  It might be that there is a bigger drop off in on going clients right now than is normal, which might affect the work load of the semi retired, as the new clients (whoever they turn out to be) start looking for their new breed.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Joey Chase

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 12:56:42 PM »
As of right now my boss, Mr. Rulewich is 75 with no plans on retirement either.  I guess he saw how Jones was able to work late in his life.  I am constantly amazed at his ability to work long days, travel all over and still want to sneak in a few holes!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back