News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kettler

Recommendations for Golf in Orlando Area
« on: December 21, 2011, 09:38:18 PM »
I know this topic has been around the block a few times, but haven't seen anything recently, so here goes another round...

a buddy and I are going to be in the Orlando area in April working on our games with Mike Bender, but will have 4 or 5 days available for golf.  So with that we are looking for some recommendations from the experts on this forum.

No major restrictions on budget, but daily travel time will be a consideration.

Appreciate the help.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Recommendations for Golf in Orlando Area
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 09:47:37 PM »
The only course worth any effort is Mountain Lake with an overnight stay at the Colony. Seth Raynor. 

Sam Morrow

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 09:53:33 PM »
Orlando seems to be all quantity and less on quality. I didn't care for Palm or Magnolia at Disney, Falcons Fire did nothing for me and Bay Hill I found very overrated.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 10:01:19 PM »
Lake Nona is the best ive played in town. Country Club of Orlando is a fun Ross/Silva. The International at ChampionsGate was a pleasant surprise. Sugarloaf Mountain was good but not great.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Sam Morrow

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 10:06:05 PM »
How long is the drive from Orlando to World Woods?

John_Cullum

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 10:48:16 PM »

Fortunately, it's long enough.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Howard Riefs

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 11:17:51 PM »

Brooksville is 1 3/4 hours due west on 50. Not an interesting drive but certainly worth it.

I went on an Orlando/World Woods trip 2 weeks ago. I have yet to write it up but would definitely recommend WW and Bay Hill without
question. As for other rounds, here's a thread that I started....

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=49879.0

And a few others that were helpful....

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=46585.0

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=37961.0

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Martin Toal

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 04:54:29 AM »
I though Orange County National was pretty decent, and not too far out of town.

Billsteele

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 07:53:29 AM »
Bobby Weed's work at the Deltona Club is first rate...about 30 minutes north of Orlando. I also like Victoria Hills in Deland...a bit further north...maybe an additional 15 minutes.

Zack Kelly

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 08:11:43 AM »
Without a doubt Play CC of Orlando a great place and fun place to spend a day.  Sugarloaf is also worth the drive, and like someone else said you certainly should head down to Mountain Lake.  Three great architects if you do all of those, CC, Ross, Raynor.
Fairways & Greens
Zack Quinn Kelly

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 08:13:37 AM »
Go to Deltona and Vic Hills and you will be quite happy with what you've seen...I second Bill's call.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 08:25:57 AM »
If you a re a Steve Smyers fan you must visit Bella Collina which is just down the road from Sugarloaf Mountain in Apopka. Steve also designed Southern Dunes which is just southwest of Orlando. Either way make sure your sand game is honed!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 09:49:16 AM »
I know it is a bit of a drive but no way would I miss Indian Creek.  People who play there are in like Flynnt.

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 10:13:38 AM »
I know it is a bit of a drive but no way would I miss Indian Creek.  People who play there are in like Flynnt.

With "daily travel time being a consideration" per Dan, I suppose 10 hours in the car could work OK. "Hey, you're going to be in Chicago? You really need to drive over to Detroit to play Oakland Hills while you're in the area."  ;D

Dan, since you will be working with Mike at Timacuan, I'll assume you'll be staying on the north side of town (Lake Maryish?). Deltona and Victoria Hills will both be within 20-25 minutes (going that direction will SIGNIFICANTLY cut down your driving time vs. heading through downtown Orlando). Near Victoria Hills in Deland is also Deland Country Club. Nothing marvelous from an architecture standpoint, but it's unusual for a Florida golf course (it was built in the '20's). Check it out on Google Earth or something. Might be a sporty course that is a change of pace from typical Orlando fare. Actually, the entire area around Deland/Deltona is very un-Floridalike. A lot of elevation change, as well as pine trees.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 11:02:59 AM »
I take it that the OP is a young man.  I see no problem in getting up around 4 am and teeing off around 9 at Indian Creek.  Get done and head to South Beach for some afternoon sun.  Why would a guy come on here and ask about Orlando if he didn't want to live the life?

Tim Martin

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 11:04:29 AM »
Go to Deltona and Vic Hills and you will be quite happy with what you've seen...I second Bill's call.
+1 for Vic Hills

JR Potts

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 11:05:32 AM »
If you a re a Steve Smyers fan you must visit Bella Collina which is just down the road from Sugarloaf Mountain in Apopka. Steve also designed Southern Dunes which is just southwest of Orlando. Either way make sure your sand game is honed!

The same goes for Isleworth...which is my favorite in the area.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
You gotta go strictly private in Florida.  Isleworth sounds great.  How about Jupiter Hills where Tiger lives.  Isn't there something hard to get on there?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 11:36:04 AM »
Dan,
Red Tail GC is in Mt.Plymouth, a twenty minute drive on rt. 46 (no traffic problems) from Lake Mary. Very quiet, relaxing place to play.
http://www.redtailclub.com/redtail_golf_club.html

About ten minutes farther out (Sorrento) you'll find two publics: Black Bear= http://www.blackbeargolfclub.com/
and Eagle Dunes=   http://www.eagledunes.com/

They're both fun, and long enough to challenge most anyone. BBGC has hosted some Canadian and mini tour events.   The wind at EDGC can really blow.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 12:07:41 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

John_Conley

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 11:58:18 AM »

I guess you missed this:

Dave Taylor

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 12:34:53 PM »
Has anyone played Harmony? I'm going down in March and will be playing there.

John_Conley

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 12:46:33 PM »
Dave, the last four holes are real interesting.  Middle of nowhere, between St. Cloud and Melbourne.  Have fun!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 03:51:51 PM »

I guess you missed this:

It's a four hour drive.  Are you telling me that matters?  Have you played Indian Creek?  Most regular golfers have no idea it exists, that is the point of asking "people in the know".

The only reason I didn't mention Seminole is because I can't get them on there.

Mark Ringsmuth

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 03:59:30 PM »
Dan,

Mountain Lake, without a doubt.  

http://www.mountainlakecc.com/Golf-Course.aspx

Otherwise, I would recommend Orange County National (Panther Lake).  If you don't mind a drive (approx. 70 miles), try the Hammock Beach Resort and play the Ocean Course.  

Mark

Jay Flemma

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 04:00:47 PM »

It's under two hours and worth it totally. Play 36 and Stay at the Plantation Inn.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back