News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

best course at the Barefoot Resort is.....
« on: December 14, 2011, 05:28:38 PM »
..which one?  Feel free to rank in order if you've played more than one...thanks in advance
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Cory Lewis

Re: best course at the Barefoot Resort is.....
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 05:33:13 PM »
I played all 4 in the same day!  I would rank them as follows:

Love
Dye
Fazio
Norman
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 05:34:29 PM »
A lot of people are big fans of the Love course most of all.  I've played all except the Fazio course and would rank Dye number 1, then Norman, then Love.  Norman's first seven holes are just okay, but things really start to improve on the tee of the 8th, an extremely interesting drive-and-pitch par 4.  The 10th hole, a par 3 next to the Intracoastal Waterway, is all-Grand-Strand, I think.

Love does have likely the best hole on the property--the drivable par 4 4th, with the ruins of an old plantation estate house abutting the back of the green--but there are just too many "meh" holes for me to put it above Norman and Dye.

I did a bit of a photo tour of the Dye course a little while ago: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,47029.0.html
Senior Writer, GolfPass

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 05:37:54 PM »
ha!  interesting your guys' opinions are quite different...

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 06:09:15 PM »
I liked the Dye course best, then Love,, Fazio and Norman.
Tim, are you sure hose are ruins from an old estate? I was told they were replicas.

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 06:13:38 PM »
Tim, are you sure hose are ruins from an old estate? I was told they were replicas.

Correct faux ruins
although eventually they'll be ruins of ruins ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 06:16:55 PM »
I thought so, it seemed cool to think that a course was built to incorporate existing ruins. It feels hoaky to build them yourself

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
http://www.barefootgolf.com/

In Myrtle Beach, SC.

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 06:20:38 PM »
I thought so, it seemed cool to think that a course was built to incorporate existing ruins. It feels hoaky to build them yourself

Nothing's hoaky about Myrtle if you have lunch at Hooters and dinner(or dessert) at the Doll House
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 06:23:12 PM »
Jeff, I would never go to such an establishment!  Hooters is terrible. (the other place is great!)

astavrides

Re: best course at the Barefoot Resort is..... New
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 06:47:08 PM »

1. love
2. dye
3. fazio

havent played the norman
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 06:55:37 PM by astavrides »

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 07:45:23 PM »
Dye
Love
Norman
Fazio
Special mention:  The Tilted Kilt..a little classier than Hooters, but same idea, with superb plasma TV's if your attention can be diverted to the sporting event of the moment..

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 09:00:13 PM »

Correct faux ruins
although eventually they'll be ruins of ruins ;D
That's both depressing and impressive (they're awfully convincing!); I truly had no idea they were replicas.  If anything, that made me even more ambivalent about the Love course.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Bart Bradley

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 10:05:54 PM »
In my first ever GCA faux-pas  :o, I criticized the fake ruins on a thread started by Paul Cowley...not yet knowing that Paul was the designer behind the Love course.  OOPS.  I certainly think that the criticism is valid, but it seemed very snarky to do it on a general thread about contrivances found on courses started by Paul.  I've always regretted that post.  Paul, I am sorry.  Wrong venue.

For what it is worth, my opinion:

1.  Dye
2.  Fazio
3.  Love (and truthfully I would have rated it much higher without the fake ruins)
4.  Norman

Also, for what its worth....The Dunes, Caledonia, andTrue Blue are all way better than all 4 at Barefoot.

Bart

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 10:10:50 PM »
In my first ever GCA faux-pas  :o, I criticized the fake ruins on a thread started by Paul Cowley...not yet knowing that Paul was the designer behind the Love course.  OOPS.  I certainly think that the criticism is valid, but it seemed very snarky to do it on a general thread about contrivances found on courses started by Paul.  I've always regretted that post.  Paul, I am sorry.  Wrong venue.

For what it is worth, my opinion:

1.  Dye
2.  Fazio
3.  Love (and truthfully I would have rated it much higher without the fake ruins)
4.  Norman

Also, for what its worth....The Dunes, Caledonia, andTrue Blue are all way better than all 4 at Barefoot.

Bart

For the record, I thought the ruins and hole were pretty cool.
It's great to see an imaginative hazard
It's Myrtle Beach!

Ian Larson

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 01:37:53 PM »
I did the construction on the 4 courses at Barefoot and was handed one of 5 shotguns to shoot at the "ruins" on the Love to make them look "ruined".

paul cowley

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 03:41:08 PM »
Was that you Ian? I told one of the masons that he could come shoot at it on a Sunda, and from the casings I think he used a semi automatic. I'm sure you could still pull lead from the wall if you looked for it!

Those were the days...I used to spend many a night sleeping in my camper/tent setup on 6 fairway...the bridge hadn't been built over the intra coastal yet and it was a long way around...very quiet and peaceful.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 04:46:59 PM »
I played all 4 in the same day!  I would rank them as follows:

Love
Dye
Fazio
Norman

Agreed.  And the third place course is third by a lot, though not as much as the margin by which the Norman course is fourth.  The first two are high on the list of must-play courses on the Strand, and it is a very, very good list.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

PThomas

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 05:46:13 PM »
thanks all///seems like Love and Dye and 1 and 2..

...and the Norman 4th...and I'm curious:  why is it last?

Cory Lewis

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 06:10:27 PM »
...and the Norman 4th...and I'm curious:  why is it last?

The problem with the Norman course is that besides the mentioned holes on the intercoastal, the course is very boring.  Nothing to get excited about.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Greg Tallman

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 06:17:43 PM »
nt

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 08:04:16 PM »

Nothing's hoaky about Myrtle if you have lunch at Hooters and dinner(or dessert) at the Doll House

But over inflated perhaps?

Mike Boehm

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 08:09:12 PM »

But over inflated perhaps?

Minimalism need not apply to all facets of life...

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2011, 11:06:58 PM »
..which one?  Feel free to rank in order if you've played more than one...thanks in advance

IMHO, the Dye course by a mile.  Some very scenic holes, and a very spacious wide open feeling.   Penal for a really errant shot, but really a very fun forgiving course

Ian Larson

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 02:01:43 PM »
Was that you Ian? I told one of the masons that he could come shoot at it on a Sunda, and from the casings I think he used a semi automatic. I'm sure you could still pull lead from the wall if you looked for it!

Those were the days...I used to spend many a night sleeping in my camper/tent setup on 6 fairway...the bridge hadn't been built over the intra coastal yet and it was a long way around...very quiet and peaceful.

Yeah, I was in college at Horry Georgetown at the time but was one of Dave Downings full time turf students throughout the construction and grow-in. The masons were some funny guys and we begged them to let us take some shots one evening. I actually vaguely remember your casa de camper on 6. That was a fun construction to be involved in with all 4 going at once and Pete, Tom, Davis and Greg in an out of the office trailers. I remember Pete Dye being in a meeting in our office trailer with others debating grass types. As I was on the computer he came out of the room and slammed the door all pissed off and curmudgeonly griping about what they were leaning towards!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back