News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Re: PGA Merchandise Show-Orlando
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 11:52:41 AM »
For those who attended the show, did anything catch your eye -- clubs, apparel, Sara Brown?

I have a tee time at Sugarloaf next Wednesday at 11 am, and would be happy to have company.

Joel,
How was Sugarloaf? Conditioning ok?
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

PCCraig

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 02:13:05 PM »
For those who attended the show, did anything catch your eye -- clubs, apparel, Sara Brown?

I have a tee time at Sugarloaf next Wednesday at 11 am, and would be happy to have company.

Joel,
How was Sugarloaf? Conditioning ok?

Is it over already?
H.P.S.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 05:46:43 PM »

Is it over already?

It officially ends tomorrow.

====

Golf Digest has a feature on the “12 Coolest Items At The PGA Show.”
http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/2012-01/photos-pga-merchandise#slide=1

This looks like a real winner…

SNAG Golf Sticky Suit: If you have kids, they probably want nothing more than to hit you with golf balls. (Face it, it's true.) Enter, the sticky suit. It's a Velcro suit that, when used with the company's sticky balls and plastic golf clubs, turns you into a moving target. ($230, snaggolf.com)

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 05:56:34 PM »
I thought Sugarloaf was excellent.  Conditioning was good enough, greens were slow (maybe 7 or 8) but well grassed and rolled fine.  The layout is eye-catching and unusual for FL, but a good 45 minutes into the boondocks from Orlando.

I didn't see too much new at the Show....only managed one day on the floor, which was enough for me.  Entertaining the peripatetic Jason Topp here in the Lowcountry right now....

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 06:34:34 PM »
This place is AMAZING.  I'm sorry I haven't been able to attend any formalized meet-and-greets for GCA folk, but it's my first Show and I'm here for work so I've not had the most flexible schedule.  But WOW; this is Shangri-La for a golf nut, at least a super-green one like me.  I met Billy Casper today, Mark Rolfing, Peter Kessler, saw some old friends unexpectedly, met a bunch of others and am on a fantastic adrenaline high.  I'll get a few more hours of Golf Candyland tomorrow before flying back to Myrtle Beach and couldn't be more pumped.  With all the collective golf-aimed energy and passion and brainpower in that enormous building, our game will be just fine.  We won't let it languish for too long.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jason Walker

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 08:55:33 PM »
Tim-
slightly off topic from the original post, but I have to tell this story after you mentioned you met Peter Kessler. 

I happened to be seated at a table next to him for dinner at a hotel Sunday evening after the Oakland Hills PGA a couple of years ago.  My friend is a golf media guy so we all get to talking.  Next thing you know we're at the bar, and before you know it, he's recorded my voicemail greeting for me on my cell phone, and then he's leaving absolutely 'hysterically perfect' vmails for all my golf nut friends.  Say what you want about him, but he's a bunch of fun after a few drinks!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2012, 09:47:34 PM »
I thought Sugarloaf was excellent.  Conditioning was good enough, greens were slow (maybe 7 or 8) but well grassed and rolled fine.  The layout is eye-catching and unusual for FL, but a good 45 minutes into the boondocks from Orlando.

Good to hear you enjoyed your round at Sugarloaf and that the conditioning was Better than previous.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2012, 11:03:10 PM »
Posted by: Tim Gavrich 
Insert Quote
This place is AMAZING.  I'm sorry I haven't been able to attend any formalized meet-and-greets for GCA folk, but it's my first Show and I'm here for work so I've not had the most flexible schedule.  But WOW; this is Shangri-La for a golf nut, at least a super-green one like me.  I met Billy Casper today, Mark Rolfing, Peter Kessler, saw some old friends unexpectedly, met a bunch of others and am on a fantastic adrenaline high.  I'll get a few more hours of Golf Candyland tomorrow before flying back to Myrtle Beach and couldn't be more pumped.  With all the collective golf-aimed energy and passion and brainpower in that enormous building, our game will be just fine.  We won't let it languish for too long.

And there you have the difference between a 20-something newbie and a 50-something repeat (and repeat) offender...I thought things were OK, nothing that outstanding or noteworthy.

Related anecdote:  Chatting with a few acquaintances in the Media Center the other day..guys high on the masthead of major golf mags..one guy who lost the top spot at one a few years ago in a firestorm of controversy over a lightning-rod cover image.

Anyway--I mentioned that the official figures showed attendance up this year compared to the last couple of years, and one guy cracks:  "Yeah--this year we have 40,000 delusional people as opposed to 35,000 delusional ones last year!"  Oh--the cynicism!

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2012, 11:47:22 PM »
I can't really say it was any better or any worse than years past, but it was quite good to see a few of the GCA gang get together for a beer on Thurs night.

Also I had the good fortune tonight to sit in on an advance screening of "From The Rough" the small independent film about the 2005 Tennessee State University golf team and its coach.  While the golf scenes themselves as expected are not very accurate for a golf nut, it was a decent story of the coach who built a program at a minority college into a national championship contender.

Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

John_Conley

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2012, 12:19:39 AM »
And there you have the difference between a 20-something newbie and a 50-something repeat (and repeat) offender...I thought things were OK, nothing that outstanding or noteworthy.

Like wisdom comes with age, exhuberance often accompanies youth.  Tim, thanks for sharing your impressions.  It's quite a spectacle.

Mike_Young

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2012, 08:58:06 AM »
Posted by: Tim Gavrich 
Insert Quote
T

Anyway--I mentioned that the official figures showed attendance up this year compared to the last couple of years, and one guy cracks:  "Yeah--this year we have 40,000 delusional people as opposed to 35,000 delusional ones last year!"  Oh--the cynicism!

I think the guy is factual more than cynical.  A few of us were talking about the "golf business" and were watching people.  For the last 20 years since "golf stores" really came on there have been a significant number of golf dorks in attendance but the one thing we noticed about most of the the industry is the actual jobs.  My estimate is that almost 70% of the jobs in the golf industry do not provide enought income to support someone unless their wife is working.   You can find a thousand reps down there repping one putter or one plastic tee or many other things but they don't produce $5000 per year in commissions.  There are a thousand club repair guys running around trying to get some free grips or a hat.  So I don't see it as cynical I see it as not much of a business for most of the people.  And one certainly can't tell their kids to enter most of the positions in the business.  JMO.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2012, 09:04:49 PM »
Posted by: Mike_Young 

I think the guy is factual more than cynical.  A few of us were talking about the "golf business" and were watching people.  For the last 20 years since "golf stores" really came on there have been a significant number of golf dorks in attendance but the one thing we noticed about most of the the industry is the actual jobs.  My estimate is that almost 70% of the jobs in the golf industry do not provide enought income to support someone unless their wife is working.   You can find a thousand reps down there repping one putter or one plastic tee or many other things but they don't produce $5000 per year in commissions.  There are a thousand club repair guys running around trying to get some free grips or a hat.  So I don't see it as cynical I see it as not much of a business for most of the people.  And one certainly can't tell their kids to enter most of the positions in the business.  JMO.

I agree 100%.  Through most of the 2000s, it was my experience that it was quite possible to get meaningful writing work at the Show by meeting editors, pitching ideas, networking with colleagues, etc.  That ship has sailed....most of the mags have disappeared or downsized, many of their former staffers are now out freelancing themselves..it's a whole different climate, and after being down there this year, I have no regrets regarding missing the last several Shows.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back