News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stuart Goldstein

PGA Merchandise Show-Orlando
« on: December 08, 2011, 11:31:13 AM »
This might be a little early, but the show is January 26th-28th with the Demo Day on the 25th.  Any GCA events or get togethers planned for that week? I'll be there so please let me know.

Kris Shreiner

Re: PGA Merchandise Show-Orlando
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 04:37:50 PM »

Stuart,

I plan to be there for most of the week. We have a fair few that go to the show and some arrange their own small group get togethers. I had phone issues last year and had trouble connecting with a few folks. A nice way to meet is to hook up at the Peabody across the street in the early evening hours, 4-7 p.m., and take it from there. Last year, and prior years, a group of us usually get together on the far right side of that main bar area, to the right of the fountain as you face it looking to the back of the room. I'd be happy to set up shop there a little early, with a small GCA table card where those interested could meet and mingle.

It always a great week to meet and spend time with interesting folks that have all types of golf backgrounds and life experiences. Last year, thanks to the kindness of several GCAers, I joined several dinner groups that I count as among the most memorable and enriching evenings of my life. The fellowship, warmth and stimulating conversations over those evenings gave me a refreshed appreciation for the many quality people, both men and women, we are so fortunate to have in and contributing to the game and society in general.

In our ever-compressed, stressed lives, these opportunities are rare. The gang here at GCA has some darn good souls and I encourage all our lot, includung lurkers, to seek each other out when possible and share time together. You'll usually be glad you did!

Cheers and I look forward to meeting more of you in 2012!

Kris 8)

"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Stuart Goldstein

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 04:42:25 PM »
Thanks Kris.  Lets connect closer to the show.  Look forward to meeting you and others from the GCA.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 07:28:40 PM »
I may also be there, but am unsure of scheduling.  I'd love to meet up with any GCAers who are in attendance, if possible.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 10:13:55 PM »
It's not so early now....

Anybody going?

I have a tee time at Sugarloaf next Wednesday at 11 am, and would be happy to have company.

Simon Holt

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 12:17:31 AM »
Hi Joel,

I havent played there for a couple of years and would be happy to join you if you still want company.  If you can PM me the details.  I actually arrived in Florida yesterday but I am down in West Palm and Naples until next Tuesday.  I think Kris Shreiner would be keen too.

Thanks,

Simon
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 11:09:40 AM »
I will be there.  Would love to get together with CGA folks.  I'm in on Wednesday afternoon, and am open for business Wed. and Thurs. nights.  Blasting out of Orlando on Friday night and have two openings (I think they are still available) at Pine Barrens on Saturday morning, if anyone is interested.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 03:56:38 PM »
Tom,

I intend to be in town by Tuesday night. Wednesday is still up in the air for me, but a Thursday gathering of the GCA gang at Peabody's is VERY much on the docket. That looks to be the day of the most converging schedules for our merry band so I will stake out a table and area to the right side of the fountain around 4-4:30 and have a small GCA sign to identify the lions' den.

As the regulars well know, an engaging several hours of banter is sure to ensue. The festivities generally run to 7 p.m. or so and then most make for the exits to commence with their respective dinner plans.

Feel free to chime in with any additional thoughts or playing suggestions.

Joel and Simon,

I'm mulling over a second go at Sugarloaf. While the expected company rates a 10, my last and only visit there left me quite underwelmed and the mediocrity of that prior poor experience has me hesitant. Have any GCA folks out there played it in the last few weeks to report on the conditioning? Even the layout lacked a bit from my perspective, especially for a C&C design effort.

There's a pretty good track called Metro West that's located near the show that while modern in style, is a sporty track that usually is in nice condition. I'm not sure what the pricing would be, but I'd be happy to make a call if a closer alternative is desired.

I'll be in touch with you both shortly.

Cheers,
Kris 8)

"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 05:08:31 PM »
Spoke to the Sugarloaf pro who tells me the GC is in fine shape..so I am optimistic.  Never played it, and since every C&C GC I've played previously has been excellent, I am hoping to enjoy this one also.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 08:06:37 AM »
Joel,

O.K., I'm in for a second serve. I'll be in touch.

Cheers,
Kris 8)

Robert Thompson

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 11:11:00 AM »
I'm in Wed. through Monday, though I'm likely heading to Jupiter Saturday to play for a couple of days. Been a long time since I've seen Zuckerman -- spinning plates or something in Mississippi I recall?
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Stuart Goldstein

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 02:12:01 PM »
Can't make the golf but will swing by the Peabody.  I'll see you at the show Joel.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 08:17:16 PM »
A great day for anybody who loves to check out new clubs, balls and bags. I just wish i was going to be there this year.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 10:21:29 PM »
I may try to stop by the Peabody bar on Thurs night as well.  Look forward to seeing anyone who is around.

Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 01:33:21 AM »
Spoke to the Sugarloaf pro who tells me the GC is in fine shape..so I am optimistic.  Never played it, and since every C&C GC I've played previously has been excellent, I am hoping to enjoy this one also.

I'm surprised that they had a pro for you to talk to.  I was there on Monday and staffing looked to be 2 inside people and one outside person.  Be that as it may, the course is surely worth a visit and the conditioning is sort of typical winter Florida.  The greens are fine - not like two years ago.  Some tees are a little patchy.  The FW's are typical patchy overseed but quite playable.  Plays reasonably firm and fast.

If you've never played it before, you might want the yardage guide.  There are a number of blind holes where it's not obvious where to aim.  For instance on #4 aim at the radio attenna on the horizon - the hole is more right than it looks.  Also on 13, don't aim at the big house, rather further to the right toward the red roof.

Enjoy your day.

Here's a view looking back down the 9th.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 08:11:38 AM »
Bryan,

Thank you for the update! It appears that things are a bit better there.

GCA Gang,

Thursday, for those interested in meeting up...all roads lead to Peabody's, 4:30 - 7 p.m.! As you enter from the street, make your way to the far right side of the fountain in the bar/lounge area. We'll have the Operations Area staked out with a small GCA table sign. See ya there.

Cheers,
Kris 8)

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 08:43:48 AM »

I'm surprised that they had a pro for you to talk to.  I was there on Monday and staffing looked to be 2 inside people and one outside person.  Be that as it may, the course is surely worth a visit and the conditioning is sort of typical winter Florida.  The greens are fine - not like two years ago.  Some tees are a little patchy.  The FW's are typical patchy overseed but quite playable.  Plays reasonably firm and fast.

If you've never played it before, you might want the yardage guide.  There are a number of blind holes where it's not obvious where to aim.  For instance on #4 aim at the radio attenna on the horizon - the hole is more right than it looks.  Also on 13, don't aim at the big house, rather further to the right toward the red roof.

Enjoy your day.

Here's a view looking back down the 9th.

Glad to hear things look a bit better there.

As far as condition, it could simply be a case that it's been an unusually mild winter everywhere, and central Florida's no exception which makes a large diffence on bermuda and even overseed.They may not be doing anything different than the past couple years.

I don't think I'd draw any viability conclusions from "one outside and two inside guys" either.
That was a Monday and yes even golf industry people take a day/afternoon off, and on a slow day that's certainly plenty of staff.
(at least I hope so as I certainly slip away a bit leaving similar staff-usually with the rest of the staff ;D)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 11:54:59 PM »
Jeff,

They were relatively busy (maybe 30 cars) on monday.  They were running an MLK day promo for $29.95.  Last winter when I was there it was one inside guy and one outside for maybe five cars.  I think they actually staffed up for MLK day.

I have an e-mail offer of a free foursome from Hampton Golf. I can't use it and it can be passed on.  It's good for SM.  If anybody wants it, let me know your e-mail address and I'll forward it.  You'll probably end up on Hampton's promo e-mail list.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 12:01:14 AM »
it looks as flat as the eye can see...
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

John_Cullum

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 10:16:49 AM »

Of course it does. It's Florida.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 10:18:36 AM by John_Cullum »
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 04:19:10 PM »
Posted by: Bryan Izatt 
Insert Quote
Jeff,

They were relatively busy (maybe 30 cars) on monday.  They were running an MLK day promo for $29.95.  Last winter when I was there it was one inside guy and one outside for maybe five cars.  I think they actually staffed up for MLK day.

I have an e-mail offer of a free foursome from Hampton Golf. I can't use it and it can be passed on.  It's good for SM.  If anybody wants it, let me know your e-mail address and I'll forward it.  You'll probably end up on Hampton's promo e-mail list

Bryan---I would love to use that foursome certificate if you still have it...and I assume so would Simon Holt and Kris Shreiner, who are playing there with me this coming Wednesday.  Let me know how to proceed, and thank you.  Best email for me is:  jbzuck@aol.com

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 11:40:58 PM »
Joel,

I emailed you the promotion.  Enjoy.

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 10:26:01 AM »

Nope.  Sugarloaf Mountain incorporates all kinds of elevation changes, from drop shots to subtle uphill approaches to sidehill-clinging doglegs.  The terrain is varied, interesting and fully integrated into the design.  Florida does have plenty of flat golf courses, but Sugarloaf Mountain is not among them.  Of course, in the hands of a good architect, it doesn't take a lot of elevation change to create interest and affect shotmaking judgment.   

John_Cullum

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 10:49:21 AM »

Nope.  Sugarloaf Mountain incorporates all kinds of elevation changes, from drop shots to subtle uphill approaches to sidehill-clinging doglegs.  The terrain is varied, interesting and fully integrated into the design.  Florida does have plenty of flat golf courses, but Sugarloaf Mountain is not among them.  Of course, in the hands of a good architect, it doesn't take a lot of elevation change to create interest and affect shotmaking judgment.    

Apparently you haven't read the Confidential Guide, which is THE bible for all golf course analysis.

Florida's flatness has been confirmed in the collective writings of Matt Ward
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 10:52:23 AM by John_Cullum »
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 11:07:02 AM »
If anyone is looking to play on Friday in the Orlando area, let me know.  I have to call on a customer in the AM but would be open to anything after 10 AM. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back