News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Brzezowski

Re: What's the biggest waste of money you see on a golf course?
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2011, 06:19:20 PM »
Golf carts and cart paths!!!!
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2011, 06:21:22 PM »
We must try riveted bunkers they will last for years!

Scott sand is the one thing we have unlimited free supplies of. Cost of revetting? Well it's a winter job when you are paying the staff to do winter projects, turf is locally grown, needs minimal fuel to transport it and the machinery is hand tools. The implicit cost will be far higher than the actual explicit cost.
Cave Nil Vino

David_Elvins

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 06:43:16 PM »
Scotty Cameron putters.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 06:44:32 PM »
I hate to steal the predictable prize out of the grasp of Shivas, but, in all my years I have seen nothing more wasteful than giving away free access to Golfweek raters.  It's a con on the face of golf.

Note: Digest rankings sell memberships. I have zero problem greasing their palms.

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 06:53:47 PM »
I hear about it more than I experience it - greens stimping over 10 - what a waste both in terms of money and quality architecture.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2011, 06:57:14 PM »
Sorry boys but if not for carts and really fast greens I might just give up the game.

Sean_A

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2011, 07:02:48 PM »
Sorry boys but if not for carts and really fast greens I might just give up the game.

No need to be sorry JakaB, its your money being wasted - tee hee.  Just don't try to run for office...

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Howard Riefs

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2011, 07:10:40 PM »
The standard, run-of-the-mill cart path of poured concrete is such a cliche.

Go big: the faux cobblestone design:

Credit: golfblogger.com
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

JNC Lyon

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2011, 07:29:32 PM »
Sprinkler systems in non-rainy environments.

Fazio renovations.

Excessive bunkering.

GPS-equipped carts.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2011, 07:31:45 PM »
P Craig,

I agree with you.

I call it the "feminization" of golf, flowers, flower beds, decorative shrubs, bushes and trees.

Years ago, while playing Lehigh, I noticed them everywhere and I mean everywhere.
When I asked the super what Percentage of his budget they occupied, labor, maintainance and expense, I was shocked at how high the number was.

If everyone of them was eradicated, it would have had no impact on the course or the play of the course and it would have allowed that savings to have been applied to more worthwhile projects,

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2011, 07:42:32 PM »
The kids who insist on carrying your bag to a cart (because you couldn't possibly carry it another step further) and pretend that they are cleaning your clubs after a round while you search for their tip. :P

Mark McKeever

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2011, 07:59:13 PM »
Well put Pat.  At Lehigh they could use the cash to fall a few pine trees!!  Heck, they could do that at Schuylkill too, although there are fewer flowers around.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Jonathan Decker

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2011, 08:17:16 PM »
"complimentary" bottled water as opposed to jugs or drinking fountains.  I've worked at two clubs that did this, one being a 36 hole university facility, the other being a very high end private club.

50,000 rounds x 2 bottles per round x $.75ea = $75,000

Keep in mind about 80% of the water gets poured after the ground.  Let's just assume they recycle all the plastic bottles:-)

Call me a tree hugger, but this waste just grinds me.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2011, 08:19:29 PM »
starters at private courses mid-week.

jeffwarne

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2011, 08:46:34 PM »
"complimentary" bottled water as opposed to jugs or drinking fountains.  I've worked at two clubs that did this, one being a 36 hole university facility, the other being a very high end private club.

Keep in mind about 80% of the water gets poured after the ground.  Let's just assume they recycle all the plastic bottles:-)

I am amazed at how much bottled water wealthy people consume ::) ::) ::)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Chris Tritabaugh

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2011, 08:50:19 PM »
Driving ranges (you just need a field somewhere close to the first tee where you can hit a few wedges and/or irons...not an elaborate system of target greens, bunkers, a huge tee box, more benches, bag holders, and other general crap).

You picked the right club!

From a range standpoint yes, for all the other stuff he mentioned; no.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2011, 09:09:27 PM »
completely disagree on the range comments.   For me, a high quality range/ practice areas is a huge differentiator.

Some practice ranges I can remember which are worth every dime

1) Kinloch... best i have ever seen
2) Shoal Creek
3) Secession

Dan Kelly

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2011, 09:14:46 PM »
completely disagree on the range comments.   For me, a high quality range/ practice areas is a huge differentiator.

I'm with you, Mark.

In fact, the practice area (i.e., the chipping/pitching green) is what I REALLY like at Chaska.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Ken Fry

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2011, 09:25:16 PM »
Fountains.

I love when I hear someone describe a course with a comment like, "What a great course.  The fountain on 18 is first class."  Only to be outdone by turning on the lights under water after dark so said fountain can be seen from the dining room!

Ken

William_G

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2011, 09:45:07 PM »
These:

A simple gravel path where needed would suffice (and it looks a lot better too)...

+1

Overwatering

Fountains, waterfalls

HOw about the clubhouse, LOL!
It's all about the golf!

Mike_Young

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2011, 09:56:54 PM »
if it's total $$$ volume of an expense I would say lightweight fairway mowers and walking greensmowers over quality triplex units and good 11 bladed ground driven reel mowers.
If it's capital expense I would say cart paths and "shaped: practice areas and rock walls.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

jeffwarne

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2011, 10:18:47 PM »
Fountains.

I love when I hear someone describe a course with a comment like, "What a great course.  The fountain on 18 is first class."  Only to be outdone by turning on the lights under water after dark so said fountain can be seen from the dining room!

Ken

So I set up someone to play a famous waterfall course on Thanksgiving Day.
8:00 shotgun so course could close early for the Holiday.
They turned off the waterfall as soon as the shotgun finished playing (he watched a dry "waterfall" during lunch)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2011, 10:31:36 PM »

A lot of courses went to bottled water because they were afraid of distributing water with bacteria in it.  Not a concern with bottled water.
And if they're purchasing 100,000 bottles I bet they're only paying around 10 cents a bottle...

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2011, 10:39:11 PM »

Gentleman,

In the Phoenix area (as the story goes) a course had jugs that became contaminated and made some people sick. Hence liability dictated water bottles. Bless our legal system.  So while it is enviornmentally wasteful, etc. it is better than no water.

Brad
I am amazed at how much bottled water wealthy people consume ::) ::) ::)

David_Elvins

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2011, 10:42:15 PM »
A lot of courses went to bottled water because they were afraid of distributing water with bacteria in it.  Not a concern with bottled water.
And if they're purchasing 100,000 bottles I bet they're only paying around 10 cents a bottle...

Whilst there have been a few possible incidents with water coolers and jugs of water,  I am not sure that there has ever been any widespread issue with drinking fountains or taps.

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back