News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mac Plumart

2011 photos of the year B-side
« on: December 05, 2011, 10:50:44 AM »
To get the ball rolling, I've got two.

The first and my official entry, which is taken from the "You know your a GCA nerd..."

:) :) ;D ;D :) :)

And this one, which I took at Rivermont yesterday.  It is Wade's lie after a "slightly" pulled tee shot on 8.   ;D

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mark Pritchett

Re: 2011 photos of the year B-side
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 11:00:29 AM »

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 11:03:44 AM »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 11:10:54 AM »

The first and my official entry, which is taken from the "You know your a GCA nerd..."

I have never seen a young man where his pants quite that high.  I did a little research and find that it is a nice retro look.  Nice.

http://www.strangequestions.com/question/760/Why-do-old-men-wear-high-waisted-pants.html

J_ Crisham

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 11:32:33 AM »

Ouch! Very nice ride though! Good for about 2 months here in Chicago weather. :)
I have never seen a young man where his pants quite that high.  I did a little research and find that it is a nice retro look.  Nice.

http://www.strangequestions.com/question/760/Why-do-old-men-wear-high-waisted-pants.html

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 11:37:41 AM »

Jud_T

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 11:50:12 AM »
Blue Steel does the Ocean Course  8)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 11:55:09 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Lester George

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 11:55:57 AM »
John K,

Fantastic!  Couldn't have done better myself!

Lester

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 03:16:12 PM »
The effectiveness of signage:

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 03:23:05 PM »
How many pleats is that????   ;D

JLahrman

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 03:30:56 PM »
How many pleats is that????   ;D

No man looks better in pleated pants. They don't give you more room. No, you're not too fat for flat fronts. Ditch the pleats, one and all.

Sorry to pick on you Joel, but this needs to be a Public Service Announcement! They are a plague that needs to be eradicated.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 04:08:29 PM by JLahrman »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 03:48:36 PM »
Damn, homey!  I just thought the photo was funny because it was a preset golf nerd photo, perfect for that thread and at the ready.  Like Jud said, blue steel does The Ocean course.   :)

Pleats!  What is wrong with pleats ???  All of my pants are pleated and cuffed.    >:(. Are you saying I need new pants and some golf shoes?!?!  Pritchett, I'll get you back!!!!!

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

JMEvensky

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 03:55:20 PM »

Nobody, and I mean nobody, looks better in pleated pants. They don't give you more room. No, you're not too fat for flat fronts. Ditch the pleats, one and all.

Sorry to pick on you Joel, but this needs to be a Public Service Announcement! They are a plague that needs to be eradicated.

I'm an above average golfer but about a +5 clothes horse.

Saville Row and any great Milan tailor would take issue with your sense of style.With all due respect,you should probably preach that sermon at Joseph A Bank or some place similar.

Go rent a movie with Fred Astaire or Cary Grant if you need any proof.

JLahrman

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 03:57:59 PM »
Pleats!  What is wrong with pleats ???  All of my pants are pleated and cuffed.    >:(. Are you saying I need new pants and some golf shoes?!?!  Pritchett, I'll get you back!!!!!

There are plenty of resources available for you all over the internet.

But a very basic explanation is here:

http://fitnessblackbook.com/style-tips/mens-suits-10-crucial-buying-tips-to-look-stylin-like-james-bond/

"Pleated pants are very unflattering and can create a curvy feminine look to your lower body. Even worse than that is that pleated pants are typically cut really baggy towards the top of the pant and have a strong taper effect. Also, pleated pants were made to be worn high on the waist…right up to just below your belly button. If you do decide to wear them a bit lower, they will poof out and make a bad look even worse. Pleats just add extra fabric near your waist and hips making those areas appear bigger than they are. I probably should have made this rule #1, because I see no reason for wearing pleated pants."

They were popular when our grandfathers used to pull their pants up to their ribcages. No more. Many men think that pleated pants give you extra room, especially if you are carrying a few extra pounds around the middle. But they give you no more room, and in fact make you look heavier.

Mac, you don't have to replace all your pants. I need all the help I can looking stylish in comparison to other men.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 03:58:10 PM »
I liked this wee fat boy. Thought he'd go especially well with some caramelised root veggies and a nice chablis...

yummmmmmmmmm,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

JLahrman

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 03:58:38 PM »

To repeat (since we posted simultaneously), pleated pants looked a lot better back when men wore their pants much higher. Now, they make men look like a peacock about to unfurl his feathers.

I'm sure I'll be in the minority of this issue around here though.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 04:01:05 PM by JLahrman »

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 03:58:52 PM »
OK--I get it!  No high-waisted pants, no pleats!  I won't make those mistakes again.

Perhaps this photo will fill the bill, taken from my Guess? Jeans modeling catalogue circa 2008.  (I'm not at liberty to dicuss this further, owing to my age discrimination lawsuit filed late last year when I turned 50 and they dropped me!)

Mac, et al--if you are looking for a nice Holiday Gift for your wife or girlfriend, a full-size poster of this shot makes a nice gift...might get their heart racing come Christmas time and there'll be no need for the mistletoe..

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 04:01:18 PM »

Nobody, and I mean nobody, looks better in pleated pants. They don't give you more room. No, you're not too fat for flat fronts. Ditch the pleats, one and all.

I'm an above average golfer but about a +5 clothes horse.

Saville Row and any great Milan tailor would take issue with your sense of style.With all due respect,you should probably preach that sermon at Joseph A Bank or some place similar.

My wife keeps insisting to me that pleated pants are out -- dead -- finito. (At least until they come back again.) She usually knows what she's talking about; she watches those "What Not To Wear" kind of shows. Is she wrong?
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 04:02:20 PM »
I'll add this sweet hole routing sign to the B-sides.  You know you've arrived at the right place when they have one of these on every hole.  The base plate is brushed aluminum.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 04:04:54 PM »
Pleats!  What is wrong with pleats ???

Nothing is wrong with pleats. It just depends who's wearing them.

http://blogs.wsj.com/runway/2011/10/04/pleats-please-at-chloe/
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

JLahrman

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 04:05:26 PM »
And here is my submission...I'll substitute "B-Sides" for "OT photos"...the infamous little Handicap Inflator who arrived in September.

PS it's hard to see in this picture, but both my jeans and her sleep sack are flat front.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 01:07:45 PM by JLahrman »

JLahrman

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 04:06:05 PM »
My wife keeps insisting to me that pleated pants are out -- dead -- finito. (At least until they come back again.) She usually knows what she's talking about; she watches those "What Not To Wear" kind of shows. Is she wrong?

Listen to your wife.

Nothing is wrong with pleats. It just depends who's wearing them.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Women have certain curves that make pleats much more useful and stylish.

I will edit my earlier post...instead of "Nobody looks better in pleated pants" it should say "No man looks better in pleated pants".
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 04:07:55 PM by JLahrman »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 04:07:52 PM »
Mac, Jeff -- dudes, get with it!  I enjoy and/or agree with almost everything you two post around here, and you seem both in your ways to be stylish fellows, but on this one JLahrman and I aren't sharing some late-breaking news, or going out on a limb: no one, I mean no one, needs to wear anything but a flat-fronted pant. (And this is coming from someone who, as JM knows, loves the look of the old Cary Grant and Fred Astaire and, I'd add, Gene Kelly -- I even roll up my pants at the bottom cause it reminds me of Kelly in American in Paris.  I even tuck my sweater into my pants - my flat front pants).  Why? Because on a heavy set fellow the pleats don't hide anything, and in fact just make one look even heavier; while on a slimmer fellow, the pleats add an unnecessary -- and most often incongruous, given our more pedestrian pursuits in the modern era -- element of 'class'.  

Just looking out for you guys, hope you don't mind... :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 04:11:47 PM by PPallotta »

JMEvensky

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 04:21:56 PM »
Mac, Jeff -- dudes, get with it!  I enjoy and/or agree with almost everything you two post around here, and you seem both in your ways to be stylish fellows, but on this one JLahrman and I aren't sharing some late-breaking news, or going out on a limb: no one, I mean no one, needs to wear anything but a flat-fronted pant. (And this is coming from someone who, as JM knows, loves the look of the old Cary Grant and Fred Astaire and, I'd add, Gene Kelly -- I even roll up my pants at the bottom cause it reminds me of Kelly in American in Paris.  I even tuck my sweater into my pants - my flat front pants).  Why? Because on a heavy set fellow the pleats don't hide anything, and in fact just make one look even heavier; while on a slimmer fellow, the pleats add an unnecessary -- and most often incongruous, given our more pedestrian pursuits in the modern era -- element of 'class'.  

Just looking out for you guys, hope you don't mind... :)

Peter,you confuse fashion with style.

Sorry to go Melvyn on you,but,like The Old Course, style is timeless.Fashion matters when you get nominated for Best Rap Grammy.

I thought I had shown you the error of your tucked-in-sweater ways.But,if you're going to persist,it only works with high waisted,pleated trousers.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011, 04:26:17 PM »
OMG!!

You're right. I have confused style with fashion.

I didn't think I was doing that -- I have never cared a whit for fashion/the fashion of the day. 

But it has snuck up on me, perhaps much like my desire to play Oakmont!

I wish there was a hang your head in shame emoticon.

Peter

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back