News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

El golf en Cuba?!?!
« on: November 23, 2011, 01:30:05 PM »
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/SPORT/golf/02/21/cuba.golf.revolution.castro/index.html?hpt=ila_r1

Anyone have perspective? Seems like they have one course designer in hand, so only 14-15 more to select.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Dale Jackson

Re: El golf en Cuba?!?!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 04:58:23 PM »
The Varadero Golf Course is a really enjoyable place to play and I have spent four separate one week vacations there over the past ten years.  It is not going to appear on anyones "Best of " list but there are some really good holes, the best, to  my mind, is the Par 3 8th, which sits on a cliff top overlooking the miles-long Varadero beach. Part of the course uses an old 9 hole layout owned at one time by the Dupont family.

There have been reports of further course development in Cuba for many, many years and sooner or later more development will be forthcoming, especially with the liberalization of land ownership over the past few months.  But I wouldn't be planning on a Cuban golf tour anytime soon.

But Cuba is a beautiful country, the people are incredibly warm and friendly and the cigars and rum are (very) cheap!
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 08:52:34 PM »
Golf in Cuba is like anything else high end in Cuba. When Americans can easily and freely go there it will happen in a big way. One of my close friends has been to Cuba monthly for almost 16 years now. He represents many large US multinationals. When Clinton was President I met the equivilent of the Ambassador from Cuba and had dinner on several occasions in Washington. Golf and Oil and Gas were my interests. I did not want to bet on Canadians and Europeans plus there were issues with getting money out of the country and private ownership of land then. Things got worse under Bush and have been improving the last few years. The world goes there freely now. We just need to get with the program. Dale also said a mouthfull on the liberation of landownership being a part of this too. There is a world of potential for golf in Cuba. I hope it happens and I get to see it.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 09:49:01 PM »
When I took the short flight from Melbourne to Barnbougle Dunes/Lost Farm, I couldn't help but think that Miami-Cuba was almost the same distance, and there are probably so many sites where great links courses could be built. Hope to see it happen.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 09:54:17 PM »
When I took the short flight from Melbourne to Barnbougle Dunes/Lost Farm, I couldn't help but think that Miami-Cuba was almost the same distance, and there are probably so many sites where great links courses could be built. Hope to see it happen.

Bill, I do not think there is any links land in Cuba but there are certainly miles and miles of breathtaking coastline and beautiful areas in land.  I think some of the courses in Hawaii or other parts of the Caribbean are comparable.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 10:58:31 PM »
Dale I agree but for some crazy reason feel when Cuba starts to blossom it will put the rest of the Island to shame golf wise.Oh but time will tell. It should be exciting.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 07:05:14 AM »
Tiger, what does that mean...Cuba will put the Island to shame? Cuba is the island.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

astavrides

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 10:19:42 AM »
I can't stand when someone in my foursome smokes a cigar.  Hard to breathe.  That must happen in almost every foursome in Cuba.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 10:29:16 AM »
My fear is they don't have any appreciation for architecture and will rush to build a bunch of non descript golf courses.

Since no American architects can be involved, it would be great if David Kidd, Rod Whitman, Ian Andrew or Mike Clayton could raise the bar for some quality golf.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 10:31:55 AM by Joel_Stewart »

Jud_T

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 11:53:51 AM »
My fear is they don't have any appreciation for architecture and will rush to build a bunch of non descript golf courses.

They're Cuban developers, not American.  ;) If they're smart they'll go after the golf travel market as well as the beach and bar crowd by building some good courses.  Imagine if you had top quality golf, caribbean weather and the best cigars on the planet in the same time it takes to get to Miami.  My dad was stationed in Key West during the Korean War and used to hop over to Havana regularly.  It was the money then and will be again someday. Hopefully in our lifetimes...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Dale Jackson

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 02:11:47 PM »

They're Cuban developers, not American. 

Well actually, at present, they are Canadian and British developers but there is no reason to think they will be any more sympathetic to the GCA cause than any other developers.  :'(

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 02:20:04 PM »
Astavrides...do you stand directly in front of the smoker and inhale?

Cigars are awesome...too bad they kill you...I'd smoke them more if they didn't.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 03:25:31 PM »

They're Cuban developers, not American. 

Well actually, at present, they are Canadian and British developers but there is no reason to think they will be any more sympathetic to the GCA cause than any other developers.  :'(

Then they should use the best Canadian and British architects.   

I did a quick Google search under images for "Cuba golf".  It's terrible, slightly better then Fresno or Bakersfield.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 03:32:07 PM »
Ronald i am sorry I meant Islands.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back