News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

All this talk of shot values, intentions and actual shots, particularly with Royal Melbourne matches fresh in mind, got me thinking... at the risk of ridicule. ::)

How about a match play game where - like eightball pool, you have to call your shot?  If you see a contour on the FW approach to a green, and possibility to play a ground game bound-in, where you plan to try to get close, to a certain pin, you have to tell your opponent, "I want to hit a 6 iron to that slope 20 yards short left of the green and have it roll down near or on the green.  If you miss it, that is penalty enough that you missed.  If you miss it, like sculling it, or totally flying it, but it lands near the pin and you win the hole on pure luck, you can only halve the hole.  If you are a good player, and call your shot to fly to a green, get close enough to two putt, that is reward enough or you don't have to call anything, and take your chances on beating the opponent if he calls it or not.  If you miss it, skull it, or otherwise don't flight it as you say, bounce off a tree or wall or whatever, get close to the hole to win, by shear luck, and not as the shot was called, you can only halve the hole. If you didn't call it and lucked out for a birdie, and your opponent did call their shot to make their par or birdie with or without handi, they win.  If the opponent also did not call it, then it reverts to if they got a stroke by handi or not and who won the hole straight up.

If you are getting a stroke on the hole, play a strategic shot and call it off the tee or on the approach (lay up to a called place, or work it around a tree - fade or draw it, or carry a hazard and call it) as a high risk/gamble, and do it, make your score as par or birdie with handicap, you win no matter if the opponent gets birdie or not, and the opponent only wins if they make their birdie on a called prior shot to the birdie, or making eagle no matter if they called the prior shot or not.

I'm just trying to figure out how to make these notions of shot values and intentions vs actual shots more relevant and obvious to the interaction of the golfer and the course architecture.

Remember, this is a brain storm in progress, so keep the ridicule down to a mild roar... ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kalen Braley

RJ,

I love the enthusiasm....I'm totally 100% for this if it can be modified to fit a 15 handicap.

So on the tee my call would be "somewhere in the fairway, please god".  And for approaches 100 yards or more, it would be "anywhere on the green surface"

In that context, I'd totally be game!! :)

Jason Topp

RJ: 

I frequently play games of HORSE with friends on the driving range that is pretty similar.  As in the basketball version, the trick is to figure out a shot you can pull off but the other person cannot.  It can get pretty creative.

Mark Johnson

Actually, we made up a new game (at least new to us this year) called "caller".   A very fun game, but it works best if everyone is somewhat close in handicaps.

There are a few versions of this, but here is the flow of play.

1.  Establish a price per point (for us, usually $1)

2.  When it is your turn hit on a hole assuming noone else has been "called",  you have an option.  Call someone out or Pass.

3.  If you call, you are betting than you can hit the ball closers to the pin than someone else who has yet to play (and is closer).   Since you are further from the hole, you get 2-1 odds.   If you hit it closer you win 2 point and the person you called our loses 2 points.   If you dont then you lose 1 pt and they win 1 pt.   If you both hole out, then the caller loses.

4.  The person who is called out has the option of "bailing" and only losing a point.  (this is generally considering a wuss play)

5.  You can't call out anyone who has a horrendous lie or no clear shot to the green (e.g. behind a tree or unplayable).   Bunkers or normal rough are fine.

6.  You can't pass  4 consecutive shots

7.  You can only be called out by one player at a time.

8.  One version of the game assumes you have to hit the fairway or the green to collect $$

9.  We also have rules where you can recall and redouble the stakes.   

Steve Lang

8) Used to play this with my best Bud growing up..

call your shot, score a point if you pull it off (always subject to debate until next shot by either competitor)

... on drives must at least call side of fairway or dead solid perfect before ball is hit, othewise one stroke penalty

... best total points wins

.. all bets are throw down type.. unless wagered money is physically on the ground or headed there.. no bet.. winner picks up, loser walks

p.s. notice nothing on greens??  cause it started on streets and school yard aiming at trees and doors
p.s.s. winner buys ice cream or drinks
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back