News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean Leary

Re: Name the architect
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2011, 11:53:16 PM »
No I have not. It was his first solo effort, right? I think it was a redo of an existing course.

Is it decent?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2011, 11:57:59 PM »
If you don't have a mountain to drive a cart up to a raised tee on, then you build one large enough to put only a tee on top of, then you build a smaller mountain in front of it (seen in the right of the picture) large enough to put a forward tee on, ...

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2011, 11:59:52 PM »
It's Columbia Point. his first. After playing, I wondered how he ever got another job. Maybe people in Colorado liked the mountains he built.

I played with two people who had their non-playing spouses along. They knew I was documenting the course for posting. At one point, one of the spouses said to me, "you can't really like this course can you?" I never could bring myself to do the work to post a photo tour of the course.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 12:03:10 AM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2011, 12:34:57 AM »
I thought I got the whiff of Kennewick while looking at those pics... Nice Course.
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2011, 08:49:28 AM »
I'm 100% sure that the double green with the lake is courtesy of the bear
Grand Cypress North/South

Andy Troeger

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2011, 10:53:50 AM »
The photos made me think of Engh, but the comment about the photo being featured on his website threw me off. I found it now, but its taken from the opposite angle and is far more flattering! Its also not that easy to find, unless you are specifically looking for it!The rock wall/water/bunkers concept was used at Sanctuary as well and perhaps another of his early courses. I'm glad he stopped using it. The squiggly green shape looks Engh-like, and the bunkering is a bit similar to Red Hawk Ridge prior to the muscle-bunker look.

Looked at the website for the course...it looks much more Engh-like than Garland's tester photo, but certainly less appealing than probably any of his other courses. The mounding looks very exaggerated to separate holes. Doesn't look like he had much to work with in terms of features either.

Garland, I hope you didn't go too far out of your way to see this one! I don't think you'd be much of an Engh fan even if you saw his best stuff.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2011, 11:00:25 AM »

Garland, I hope you didn't go too far out of your way to see this one! I don't think you'd be much of an Engh fan even if you saw his best stuff.

It was right on the way coming back from Wine Valley and Palouse Ridge.

So, you can imagine the disappointment.

Next time I'll try Horn Rapids. A member at my club raved about the quirk there. Anyone play it?

Sean Leary

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 11:14:13 AM »
GB,

I have played it buts its been a while. Don't remember much about other than its a desert style course. Meadow Springs in the Tri Cities is better.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 11:42:36 AM »

Garland

That par 3 by the clubhouse and lake with that shallow bunker should not be something that any designer should be proud of. It evokes all that is amiss with golf today, shallow bunkers Greens that allow the ball to run back onto the Green and that lake or pond waiting to kill the game for the less than accurate player. Tell me where is the challenge; let alone obtaining the satisfaction of playing such a Green.

Gentlemen, this is modern golf at its most destructive, if it does not kill your game it will aid your shots be they bunker or an overshoot. Where is the test the challenge of playing the course and the Hole?

Of course I will give you it looks nice and interesting but once you open your golfing eyes you see a tired ill thought out Green that is there to assist the player, but that’s not the way the game is played. The designer has offered up zero in the difficult, testing or enjoyable that is at the heart of the game.

Sorry, Garland I would not want to know the designer, as IMHO he should have known better and so should the Club, its Committee and its Members. Apart from that it looks like a nice environment to go riding over.

Melvyn   

PS Is that stone the Headstone for the late designer confirming depth of remains and the years BC re his date of birth/demise.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2011, 11:46:41 AM »
4th hole par 3 double green with 1st hole portion of green in the background.

In observing the divot patterns and general appearance of the golfers pictured I would say they are getting far more quality than they deserve.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2011, 12:08:52 PM »

Sorry, Garland I would not want to know the designer, as IMHO he should have known better and so should the Club, its Committee and its Members. Apart from that it looks like a nice environment to go riding over.

But, would you not want to know the designer so that you would be aware when he come up again, as he is not buried below the 9th tee marker?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2011, 12:10:59 PM »
4th hole par 3 double green with 1st hole portion of green in the background.

In observing the divot patterns and general appearance of the golfers pictured I would say they are getting far more quality than they deserve.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, seems to be I recall you relating a story about your son thinking you get more quality than you deserve.

Looks like I have found just the perfect new home club for you.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2011, 07:26:46 PM »
I can spot some Engh themes in the aerial.  Its right next to the water to boot!!  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back