News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Rankings - Golf Digest Ireland 2012 - Top 100
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2011, 04:34:53 PM »
Are there enough great courses to make a top 100 or is top 50 more appropriate?

Cha ching - 50 tops.  I hate it when lists try to pawn off less than very good courses as worthwhile noting for international acclaim.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 04:03:24 AM »
Are there enough great courses to make a top 100 or is top 50 more appropriate?

Cha ching - 50 tops.  I hate it when lists try to pawn off less than very good courses as worthwhile noting for international acclaim.

Ciao

Make no mistake Sean. These are all very good courses. My gripe as always is whether some of them could have and should have been better.

Donal - I still haven't seen Dunfanaghy. Hopefully next year and then I can add it to my "sell" list along with North-West. As I said above, you can't win them all. People have different views and it's worth remembering that those views are often very different to the prevalent one on this board.

Incidentally, for inland courses one I've been championing is Portumna... It's on a wonderfully natural undulating site. There are few better inland sites in Ireland in my opinion.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2011, 02:22:28 PM »
Ally

Do you think the rankings would change much if condition wasn't a factor?
John Marr(inan)

Jack_Marr

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 07:03:51 PM »
It's nice to see Tramore moving up.

I don't know what people have against Doonbeg. I think it's a wonderful course. Lahinch is my favourite course in Ireland.
John Marr(inan)

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2011, 06:09:03 AM »
Ally

I don't think so Jack... I think they would change more if length & difficulty wasn't such a high concern for some of the excellent golfers on the panel...

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2011, 08:12:39 AM »
Ally

I don't think so Jack... I think they would change more if length & difficulty wasn't such a high concern for some of the excellent golfers on the panel...

That was my initial thought too that the high maintenance Celtic Tiger Parkland courses that were the rage in the 90s/ 00s have moved well down and now it's move back more to architecture/golf and away from the 'wow' factor of American golf.

Not 100% sure of how Adare is above Mount Juliet though but overall I think it's a pretty good list with most courses close to where they should be
Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back