News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Morrow

Private Courses That Would Be Less Regarded If Public?
« on: November 06, 2011, 09:25:22 PM »
Since there is the thread about public courses turning private and becoming masterpieces I will go the other way. What (if any) private courses would be regarded as not as good if public? For the sake of argument let's say the course condition is the same as when private.

Chip Gaskins

Re: Private Courses That Would Be Less Regarded If Public?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 09:37:22 PM »
this will be fun...  thread of the year?  hopefully we will see some honest answers!

JR Potts

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 09:39:10 PM »
Unfortunately, I think the answer is, "almost every single one of them."
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 09:51:34 PM by JR Potts »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 09:39:53 PM »
Unfortunately,  think the answer is, "almost every single one of them."

That was my initial thought.

Mike_Young

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 09:42:13 PM »
Augusta National for sure...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

JC Jones

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 09:53:02 PM »
Probably a majority of the courses in the northeast save those in/near the Hamptons.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 09:58:39 PM »
Probably a majority of the courses in the northeast save those in/near the Hamptons.

I really don't understand this thread
or this quote.

So Sleepy Hollow and Quaker Ridge would be less regarded if they were public, but Maidstone and Atlantic wouldn't?

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:02:40 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Philippe Binette

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 10:00:11 PM »
I wonder what the general public would say about garden city... but I don't think it would be less regarded

I don't think it's a matter of how they would be regarded... but how, if they would have be maintained as a public course for the last 50 years, what people would think of them.

I could see how the general public wouldn't see anything special in places like Merion... nothing spectacular, no lakes etc..

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 10:00:59 PM »
Less regarded by whom?
H.P.S.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 10:01:38 PM »
I really don't think it's the 'top 100' courses that would be less regarded.  It is the local private clubs that would be.  Around Toronto there are a lot of really good private courses, and then there are a whole bunch of private, OK courses.  A lot of people are very impressed by the conditioning, atmosphere, ambiance, etc of the OK private club and elevate them and equate them to courses of much higher quality.

The great courses are great, public or private.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 10:01:55 PM »
Less regarded by whom?

The same people who would regard certain public courses better if they were private.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 10:02:39 PM »
I really don't think it's the 'top 100' courses that would be less regarded.  It is the local private clubs that would be.  Around Toronto there are a lot of really good private courses, and then there are a whole bunch of private, OK courses.  A lot of people are very impressed by the conditioning, atmosphere, ambiance, etc of the OK private club and elevate them and equate them to courses of much higher quality.

The great courses are great, public or private.

I wondered how long it would take for someone to say that or ask that question.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 10:03:42 PM »
I think if an average everyday "retail golfer" got to play Seminole, they would not be impressed and would have very little interested in returning.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 10:12:54 PM »
I think if an average everyday "retail golfer" got to play Seminole, they would not be impressed and would have very little interested in returning.

I have heard from two such retail golfers the exact same opinion of Seminole..."it was nothing special."

I don't trust their opinions and would love to form my own, educated, opinion!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 10:14:59 PM »
Of course you don't trust their opinion.  Seminole is special.  But it doesn't have the non-sensical b.s. that make people think a golf course is great when it actually isn't.

I thought this was the kind of thing we were going for in this thread.

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 10:20:59 PM »
Of course you don't trust their opinion.  Seminole is special.  But it doesn't have the non-sensical b.s. that make people think a golf course is great when it actually isn't.

Mac,
If you strip away the history and there is no clubhouse and you were to go around in a cart at Seminole,
can you explain to a retail golfer what he is missing at Seminole?

Do you think he'd have interest in returning if he felt he had gotten value for his money?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sam Morrow

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 10:21:51 PM »

Mac,
If you strip away the history and there is no clubhouse and you were to go around in a cart at Seminole,
can you explain to a retail golfer what he is missing at Seminole?

Do you think he'd have interest in returning if he felt he had gotten value for his money?

If you strip away the history and clubhouse do you still have a great golf course?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 10:25:19 PM »
Great golf course.  YES!!

Value for his money?  That is a personal decision.  I think the "retail golfer" will think no.  As I don't think they'll understand the course.  Perhaps similiar feelings to people who don't like The Old Course at St. Andrews. 

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 10:27:51 PM »
one sacred cow down, more to come...

jeffwarne

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 10:31:40 PM »
Great golf course.  YES!!

Value for his money?  That is a personal decision.  I think the "retail golfer" will think no.  As I don't think they'll understand the course.  Perhaps similiar feelings to people who don't like The Old Course at St. Andrews. 

I would venture a guess that every private course that has hosted a US Open prior to 2002 would be less regarded if they were public, given the USGA's track record of (not) awarding US Open to many public courses before bethpage (save Pebble).
i.e. many of these courses would not have been held in high regard by most golfers had they not held US Opens.
Shinnecock was totally off the radar prior to 1986

Philippe Binette

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 10:36:17 PM »
NGLA would be polarizing, love it or stupid would be the opinions

Maybe some private course that host major championships would finally be regarded for what they are... lol

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 10:52:42 PM »
Here are the flaws with this thread...

1. We can only suppose what someone who is not I/us would think of a golf course. No one on this site is a retail golfer, at least the kind to which we often refer condescendingly, yet also the kind that keeps the industry alive. It's like the Red/Blue divide come election day. The liberal elite forgets that the Red mass is the one that usually defends our country and grunts its mills, factories, highways and other blue-collar work tasks. Let us not become a liberal elite GCA;

2. Said person's reaction might or might not be based solely on how well she/he played (I suspect it would);

3. Does Public status necessitate some specific fault/flaw? Do you really mean "crapped-out muni conditions wrought by a municipality that doesn't give a rat's posterior beyond making money and providing a minimal service to residents"?

4. Don't forget that none of you (nor I) was born with an innate sense of what is right about great golf course architecture. I've been consciously learning about GCA for 12 years and, as Patrick Mucci will confirm, still have much to learn. If a general public were exposed to what we consider to be great GCA, it would also need and deserve the same amount of time/learning curve to come to appreciate what was suddenly dropped into its lap.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2011, 10:53:21 PM »
Here are the flaws with this thread...

1. We can only suppose what someone who is not I/us would think of a golf course. No one on this site is a retail golfer, at least the kind to which we often refer condescendingly, yet also the kind that keeps the industry alive. It's like the Red/Blue divide come election day. The liberal elite forgets that the Red mass is the one that usually defends our country and grunts its mills, factories, highways and other blue-collar work tasks. Let us not become a liberal elite GCA;

2. Said person's reaction might or might not be based solely on how well she/he played (I suspect it would);

3. Does Public status necessitate some specific fault/flaw? Do you really mean "crapped-out muni conditions wrought by a municipality that doesn't give a rat's posterior beyond making money and providing a minimal service to residents"?

4. Don't forget that none of you (nor I) was born with an innate sense of what is right about great golf course architecture. I've been consciously learning about GCA for 12 years and, as Patrick Mucci will confirm, still have much to learn. If a general public were exposed to what we consider to be great GCA, it would also need and deserve the same amount of time/learning curve to come to appreciate what was suddenly dropped into its lap.

Aren't these things what make a thread like this fun Tricks?

Carl Rogers

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 10:36:57 AM »
I would imagine that if the Trump courses went public .... take away the high maintenance and the name and what would you have??

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 02:27:36 PM »
Clearly, you take away the Veblen goods aspect of most exclusive privates, they will be less regarded! Why? They are no longer Veblen goods!

As for the bottom tier privates, I think most people recognize them as nothing special. They are only a place to get an assured convenient tee time, and loose nothing in quality recognition by going public.

I have already picked out the public I will move my game to when I get old and have less need to take advantage of the extremely economical per play deal I get now from lots of play at a bottom tier private. The public is clearly the better course.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back