News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George_Bahto

RE: Charles Banks' original Castle Harbour course in Bermuda
« on: November 06, 2011, 11:21:53 AM »
There is not lot of information for this course out there so I’m reaching out to our sage group to see if any of you have anything about the founding of the club, any old photos, in essence ANY interesting information to shed more light on the original Charles Banks course   (Nothing about the recent blowing up of the course, please - not pertinent at all to what I am writing about).

An aerial photo and/or a routing of his original course would be a very helpful.

You can answer here or contact me @ ggb313@aol.com

thanks guys
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

PCCraig

Re: RE: Charles Banks' original Castle Harbour course in Bermuda
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 02:07:58 PM »
George,

I'm sorry I don't have any photos of the course pre-redesign. But the course had to be one of the most severely hilly (non-mountainous) golf course I've ever seen. To be honest, at the point in its history when I played it over a couple vacations it wasn't anywhere near the same class as either Mid Ocean or Port Royal (the other two full length 18 hole courses on the island). I wasn't as interested in GCA at the time, but I don't remember the course resembling anything at Mid Ocean along the lines of the MacRaynor mold.

H.P.S.

George_Bahto

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 02:32:58 PM »
PC, thanks for the observations

I remember commercials for Bermuda where there was a partial flyover showing Caster Harbour and it looked near stupid, the severeness of the course. It looked like about the last place I'd want to play.

I guess I could call RR     ???     -   he used to sens me Christmas cards every year, but I don't think he likes me anymore    :P
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 03:06:09 PM »
Geroge,

Yes...the property is very severe. I will say though that like the other golf courses in Bermuda the course does offer some great views. Although while the island has 8 golf courses (in an area the size of Manhattan) Mid Ocean and Port Royal are the two worth seeing, the others are mostly good for a couple beers and a half set of clubs in a Sunday bag.
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back