News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Rogers

Re: Old Quirk vs. New Quirk
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 08:53:54 PM »
Are Tobacco Road and Royal New Kent quirky or just impossibly over the top flamboyant?

Quirk on old course = romantic and lovable??

Quirk on new course = contoversial, possibly bad???

RJ_Daley

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 11:30:43 PM »
I don't know about RNK, but my opinion of TR is that it starts with quirk in that it is on a quarry site with many quirky things to deal with.  Many of the quirky stuff was not overly manufactured, like the waste areas, and the sand cliff wall carry on 18, etc.  The factor that what was done there, managed to work with the quirk, and isn't by that area standards and excessively expensive course due to excessive construction of quirk, makes it good quirk in my mind. :)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 11:36:52 PM »
Dick:

It is nice to be quoted on the heart of golf's sustainabilty and it is too long since we've had a beer.

Hope you are well.

Tim
Tim Weiman

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 05:08:52 AM »
I agree with Niall (and the same thing Melvyn has been saying for ages).  In the old days it was just lay of the land golf and the idea of quirk didn't really exist.  The new breed of British archies designing out some of the more outlandish lay of the land golf is when the idea of sporty golf really came about.  For some I think it was a matter of urgency to retain some of this old stuff because it was being dismantled at an alarming rate and of course no new quirk was being built to replace it.  Everybody's idea of quirk is different, but I don't tink there is nearly as much about as people think.  I am hoping with more and more people being reared on wonder bread courses that the pressure on eliminating even more real quirk isn't succombed to.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back