News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ward peyronnin

Where the Girls Aren't
« on: October 31, 2011, 05:26:30 PM »
Perhaps this is an off topic question but in my mind I have wondered for sometime.

What is it about this line of inquiry; this website or its feng shui; this merry band of achi-didacts; upon reflection really this topic that has driven away or never attracted the fairer sex. Is there an explanation for the lack of womanly commentary or interest in the endlessly fascinating conversation we all have supported these many years.

Unlike Field and Stream ism there is a large population of female practitioners of our ancient and honorable game. Mary Queen of Scots was an early champion of the sport! Are they overwhelmingly more concerned about how they look on the course rather that what they look at on the course?

Are we heavy handed and vulgar? Too verbose, analytical, pompous? Who can offer insightful examples of repartee from their better halves who are aware of one's engagement but exhibit no interest? 

I am mostly curious ; not reformist

Cheers
Ward
fellow Cro magnon
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Bill_McBride

Re: Where the Girls Aren't
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 05:44:17 PM »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 05:49:18 PM »
So you're saying Dr. Anthony Gray, DMD, ADHD is the reason the ladies don't post here?

Loudmouth pants.

http://us.loudmouthgolf.com/index.php/men/pants.html

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Doug Wright

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 05:51:55 PM »
Chicks dig the long ball, not quirk.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 06:14:28 PM »
They should rename them Huggies! ;D

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 07:14:19 PM »
Ward - the trouble is, what we need around here is another emoticon, call it the "bored bemusement and slightly condescending" emoticon. The image can be of a lovely and well-dressed woman standing impatiently by an open front door as an unshaven guy in a tee-shirt types away feverishly in complete darkness save for the blueish glow from a computer screen.

Peter

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 07:52:44 PM »
Ward - the trouble is, what we need around here is another emoticon, call it the "bored bemusement and slightly condescending" emoticon. The image can be of a lovely and well-dressed woman standing impatiently by an open front door as an unshaven guy in a tee-shirt types away feverishly in complete darkness save for the blueish glow from a computer screen.

Peter

Post of the month if not the season there ladies and gentlemen.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Carl Rogers

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 07:57:29 PM »
they are:
- too embarrassed by their game,
- too offended by boorish louts,
- tired of getting hit on,
- don't want to play from the forward tees inrelation to the guys,
etc.

Jason Walker

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 08:13:06 PM »
I suspect the reasons are probably similar as to why Dungeons and Dragons never really took off with the cute girls in the 6th grade.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 08:15:47 PM »
I suspect the reasons are probably similar as to why Dungeons and Dragons never really took off with the cute girls in the 6th grade.

(many others not having the courage to reply)

Didn't work for you either, eh?

;)

Jason Walker

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 08:17:19 PM »
Joe,
I couldn't figure out why they didn't like Steely Dan.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 08:20:20 PM »
Joe,

+1

Eric Smith

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 08:23:13 PM »
We had a girl join us for an AD&D campaign back in 9th grade. She had more armpit hair than I did!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 08:31:59 PM »
Tee hee - what a uniquely nerdy trajectory: from Dungeons and Dragons to Lord of the Rings to Golf Course Architecture and the hilarious musings of Bernard Darwin. The million dollar question, of course, is 'where do we go from here?' I know, maybe we can start ranking golf courses that haven't even been built yet, you know, imaginary golf courses, and then we can make up imaginary holes and start comparing those and then....wait.....oh....never mind.

Peter

Terry Lavin

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 08:35:56 PM »
I don't golf with women or sleep with men. Most everything else is negotiable !
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 08:38:33 PM »
Tee hee - what a uniquely nerdy trajectory: from Dungeons and Dragons to Lord of the Rings to Golf Course Architecture and the hilarious musings of Bernard Darwin. The million dollar question, of course, is 'where do we go from here?' I know, maybe we can start ranking golf courses that haven't even been built yet, you know, imaginary golf courses, and then we can make up imaginary holes and start comparing those and then....wait.....oh....never mind.

Peter

Whe re did Bernardo enter the conversation?

Did you never draw (imaginary) golf holes in your notebook during a boring class in high school or college?   ;D

Jason Walker

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 08:39:17 PM »
Terry-
I'm stealing that.

Thanks.

Jason Walker

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 08:40:11 PM »
Bill-
On Sundays my church bulletins were covered in golf holes--in the 4th grade.  :)

John_Cullum

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 11:13:37 PM »
Bill-
On Sundays my church bulletins were covered in golf holes--in the 4th grade.  :)

And thus the question is answered
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Anthony Gray

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 07:52:25 AM »

Have you ever seen Garland swing?

JMEvensky

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 09:31:56 AM »

Joe,

Blame it on William Burroughs.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 10:16:55 AM »
I doubt there is as much interest in discussing architecture the way we discuss it.

It would be interesting to sit down with average and competitive women players to get their perspective on architecture as it relates to them.  As you might expect, I have had and even sought out this experience, and its eye opening just how unplayable courses are for women, despite forward tees.  If you really look, many of them are so poorly thought out, or not thought of at all, that they really detract from a woman's enjoyment of the course.

They probably and rightly think its not a discussion topic any of us would care about discussing.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Joe Bausch

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 10:25:57 AM »
I doubt there is as much interest in discussing architecture the way we discuss it.

It would be interesting to sit down with average and competitive women players to get their perspective on architecture as it relates to them.  As you might expect, I have had and even sought out this experience, and its eye opening just how unplayable courses are for women, despite forward tees.  If you really look, many of them are so poorly thought out, or not thought of at all, that they really detract from a woman's enjoyment of the course.

They probably and rightly think its not a discussion topic any of us would care about discussing.

Jeff, have you made any changes at any of your courses specifically to make them more playable for women?  If so, can you give an example of a couple of holes where changes were made and why?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 10:32:49 AM »

They all left when Kavanaugh was kicked off. Now maybe they'll come back.

Anthony

ward peyronnin

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 10:35:10 AM »
Jeff

Interesting point. It is not just the design. At Victoria the course just isn't maintained the way it should be for ladies either particularly teeing grounds. Often the native or reedy growth is allowed to overflow and lean out into the shot lines , etc.

Should Ben and Ran consider a ladies auxiliary section or a golf fashion tab? I think we would benefit form some female perspectives just as Jeff has tried to solicit. Maybe some of us could try giving Doak's book to our beloveds for Christmas to see if it arouses interest.

BTW Terry I do golf with women but I don't sleep with men....does that make me bi-golfual?
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back