News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

The origin of target golf design?
« on: October 25, 2011, 10:51:25 AM »

Where did it start appearing and why?

Anthony

Ally Mcintosh

Re: The origin of target golf design?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 11:24:25 AM »
As a direct result of poor soil sites, better maintenance and better equipment... would be my guess...

Sometime just after WW-II when golf design was being reinvented?

michael damico

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 11:30:51 AM »
would one suggest that elements of strategic design are, in a sense, target golf, just well disguised?
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
                                                                -fz

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 02:15:04 PM »
My understanding is that the very first courses in the U.S. were criticized by the Scots, et. al., for being target golf. To much water too soft greens, etc. That is part of the reason NGLA is so important.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Dave Givnish

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 02:42:47 PM »
If we are talking about the type of target golf that is prevalent in Arizona, that came about in the early 1980's.  Water regulations at that time put a limit on the number of about 90 acres that could be irrigated on a course and practice area.  Desert Highlands was one of the first name courses that came online under those rules. 

Pinnacle Peak was built before the limits and it is a pleasant parkland course with virtually no forced carries.  Highlands, Troon, Boulders South, and Desert Mountain added a lot of washes to get wide fairways while staying under 90 acres.  I think that these courses can make golf a bit tough for a beginner or senior golfer.

Clyde Johnston

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 05:07:24 PM »
I think the protection of wetlands has something to do with target golf. That and real estate developers wanting the golf course to use the less desirable parts of the land where the designer has to deal with the wetlands.

Another thought I had was it's much harder to find large tracts of land close to populated areas that could support golf. When one generation dies off, the children sometimes divide up the inherited land into smaller chunks. Developers have to assemble several tracts of land to get enough acreage.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 05:38:09 PM »
I think the protection of wetlands has something to do with target golf. That and real estate developers wanting the golf course to use the less desirable parts of the land where the designer has to deal with the wetlands.

Another thought I had was it's much harder to find large tracts of land close to populated areas that could support golf. When one generation dies off, the children sometimes divide up the inherited land into smaller chunks. Developers have to assemble several tracts of land to get enough acreage.

That was my thought, Clyde... that the land made available to architects for a good number of development and resort courses was the bits and pieces left over after housing interests staked their claim. In order to play golf over these bits they had to be knitted together with a "target" style of golf. RiverTowne Country Club and the Harbor Course at Wild Dunes Resort are two good examples.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back