News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Re: Bandon Trails - bulldoze and start over...
« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2011, 04:57:40 PM »
Maybe an ignorant comment on my part Tim.  I'm basing it on the thought that the difficulty of the hole is the green which is lower down on the list of hdcp determinants, as opposed to distance and hazards, but I may be overstating this...

I'm pretty ignorant on this topic, so wasn't trying to dispute as much as learn more.  I have a very layman's understanding of how handicaps are assigned.  I didn't realize there was an order or priority to handicap determinants.  Would love to hear more from someone that has been involved in handicapping a course.

Background on allocation of handicapping strokes for holes is in Section 17 of the USGA's Handicap System Manual:

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Handicap-System-Manual/Rule-17/
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Dean Stokes

« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2011, 05:35:19 PM »
Ben, thank you for trying to assist with photo sharing....I am trying hard!!!! lol.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 05:41:50 PM by Dean Stokes »
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #177 on: October 26, 2011, 06:27:08 PM »

So those with a problem with the pond, blame Mike Keiser - something I will never do because: (1) I love the pond, and (2) he provided to the golfing world an amazing place and helped provide a platform where great architects like Kidd and Doak would have more opportunities to build great courses and I would have more opportunities to play great golf.

Ron Whitten threw Trails under the bus for the pond when the course first was open for play.

The lake has matured into the most natural/organic, best "fake lakes" I've ever seen. I love hole #11 and the setting is very tranquil with a massive green encouraging approaches from the left.

This hole is one of the reasons I love Trails.

The lake doesn't do it for me at all, but that approach cut in from the left sure does.  What a cool shot into that green.

They did the lake thing too at Clear Creek, but they made up for it with a nice right to left approach.  I miss Clear Creek...
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Jud_T

« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2011, 06:30:43 PM »
Ben, thank you for trying to assist with photo sharing....I am trying hard!!!! lol.

Dean,

I use Tinypic.  Download photos and paste link between the image button icons on our site.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 11:00:31 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #179 on: October 26, 2011, 06:52:10 PM »
I would think that is why Golfweek has so many raters. It allows for a honest statistical profile on a course to be developed. One guy, who for whatever reason lost it, will not adversely impact  a courses rating. Also one never knows if he is a first year rater who really has not learned the process. Hopefully after reading and listening to a few more speakers architects and Brad he will gain some insight. This is a subjective process. However I am hard pressed to think anyone would honestly say that course should be plowed up.  I think Trails has the best set of par 3's at the resort. I also think they would make any list of best par 3's.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 09:34:32 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

William_G

« Reply #180 on: October 26, 2011, 07:04:30 PM »

So those with a problem with the pond, blame Mike Keiser - something I will never do because: (1) I love the pond, and (2) he provided to the golfing world an amazing place and helped provide a platform where great architects like Kidd and Doak would have more opportunities to build great courses and I would have more opportunities to play great golf.

Ron Whitten threw Trails under the bus for the pond when the course first was open for play.

The lake has matured into the most natural/organic, best "fake lakes" I've ever seen. I love hole #11 and the setting is very tranquil with a massive green encouraging approaches from the left.

The lake doesn't do it for me at all, but that approach cut in from the left sure does.  What a cool shot into that green.

They did the lake thing too at Clear Creek, but they made up for it with a nice right to left approach.  I miss Clear Creek...

Clear Creek????? Are "they" C & C?

Not sure what you are lamenting with the "lake thing", as this lake fits in...see above..LOL
It's all about the golf!

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #181 on: October 26, 2011, 07:55:08 PM »

Clear Creek????? Are "they" C & C?

Not sure what you are lamenting with the "lake thing", as this lake fits in...see above..LOL

You can not recover from a lake.  I'm just not into lakes around a green in general.  See my signature part  ;D

Yes, Clear Creek is ... correction ... was a C&C, but it is no longer open.  Hard times...
course architect

William_G

« Reply #182 on: October 27, 2011, 11:09:05 AM »
Pat,

How about oceans?

You realize that recovery shots are immediately preceded by bad shots, LOL.

Thanks...Love Trails!
It's all about the golf!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #183 on: October 27, 2011, 11:57:22 AM »
Pat,

How about oceans?

Thanks...Love Trails!

How many greenside oceans have you seen?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #184 on: October 27, 2011, 12:09:32 PM »
I think one simple change at BT....

An electric funicular that quietly shuttled you to the 14th tee would add a lot.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 12:11:58 PM by Jeff Doerr »
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

William_G

« Reply #185 on: October 27, 2011, 12:48:41 PM »
Pat,

How about oceans?

Thanks...Love Trails!

My favorite is #7 at PB... or the second shot on #4 at Pacific... lol
It's all about the golf!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #186 on: October 27, 2011, 01:18:05 PM »
Pat,

How about oceans?

Thanks...Love Trails!

I hope you have seen more than two, but I doubt you have seen many.
Next, how many of these greenside oceans were constructed by the golf architect?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

William_G

« Reply #187 on: October 27, 2011, 02:04:46 PM »
Garland

hahaha, you are correct I don't see many as I keep it on the short grass most of the time...

I also enjoy recovery shots, especially fantasstic ones, but they all require my hitting a bad shot immediately prior

Love the "wet 3"

obviously a discussion of built versus found is due another thread

moving on

thanks

It's all about the golf!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #188 on: October 27, 2011, 04:05:21 PM »
Pat,

How about oceans?

Thanks...Love Trails!

I hope you have seen more than two, but I doubt you have seen many.
Next, how many of these greenside oceans were constructed by the golf architect?

The Old Course. ;)
Mr Hurricane

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #189 on: October 29, 2011, 01:20:39 PM »
After 36 yesterday at BT I'm laying down in front of the dozer.  I'm all for live and let live...to each his own and all that but I don't get how any serious golfer can dislike that course.   Only thing I can imagine is it's hard to get around without recording a crooked number and low handi cappers don't like that possibility.   

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #190 on: October 29, 2011, 02:05:40 PM »
After 36 yesterday at BT I'm laying down in front of the dozer.

Occupy Bandon, count me in.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

William_G

« Reply #191 on: October 30, 2011, 12:42:14 PM »
After 36 yesterday at BT I'm laying down in front of the dozer.

Occupy Bandon, count me in.

+++1, LOL
It's all about the golf!

Paul Richards

« Reply #192 on: October 30, 2011, 12:55:35 PM »
When I read titles to threads like this one, I remind myself why I spend so little time these days on GCA.

:'(
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Mac Plumart

« Reply #193 on: October 30, 2011, 01:14:13 PM »
Paul...

you should read more than just the title, there are some good points raised and some good discussion about the hole.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Michael George

« Reply #194 on: October 30, 2011, 01:42:55 PM »

Paul:

If you read the first post, it was from Jim Franklin indicating that a friend of his made this statement and that he thought he was crazy.  The thread became about what is right and wrong about Bandon Trails.

However, I think the discussion on this board is excellent.   
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

PThomas

« Reply #195 on: October 30, 2011, 02:06:37 PM »
I think BT is terrific!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

William_G

« Reply #196 on: October 30, 2011, 02:31:07 PM »
Paul...

you should read more than just the title, there are some good points raised and some good discussion about the hole.

agreed, I think the discussion about the land available and the decisions to use it as such are very enlightening as to what it takes for GCA to become reality...

for instance the aspect of holes 7-13 all being sandcapped as they are through the forest as opposed to 1-6 and 14-18

thanks
It's all about the golf!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #197 on: October 31, 2011, 04:17:59 PM »

An electric funicular that quietly shuttled you to the 14th tee would add a lot.

Funny, my first course, Indian Valley in Novato, Marin Co., Calif, had a similar funicular, also from the 13th green to 14th tee!

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #198 on: October 31, 2011, 04:55:08 PM »

Funny, my first course, Indian Valley in Novato, Marin Co., Calif, had a similar funicular, also from the 13th green to 14th tee!

Bill,

It's been a while for me, but I thought Indian Valley still had this.  No?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:50:59 PM by Patrick Kiser »
course architect

Michael George

« Reply #199 on: October 31, 2011, 04:58:31 PM »

If you check out Ran's write-up on Kirtland, it has a carriage car up from 17 green to 18 tee. 

However, it does not have the Swiss flare of this one.  Does this car ride have the yodeling music ala "The Price is Right"?
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back